If you could change one Olympic moment... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

If you could change one Olympic moment...

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Mao having clean SP in Sochi :cry:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I wish Elvis had been groin injury and flu free in Nagano to see if he could have pushed for his gold. Can't say that Kulik didn't deserve it because he was brilliant but it would have been nice if Elvis was at 100% to see if he could have edged the gold.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Have a quad gold podium for Mao, Yuna, Caro, and Adelina in Sochi

Yes, I included the latter two (esp. Ade) for lighting up the arena and for finally killing it.
:dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:

and also basically rewrite the whole Sochi Men's LP event because that was a goddamn mess to watch

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Liz Manley wins gold over Katerina Witt in 1988. Though Liz was deliriously delighted by the silver.

Orser skate perfectly and wins gold over Boitano in 1988. Orser was heartbroken by the silver.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'd give Mao a clean short in 2014.

First I "liked" this thought, but then it suddenly came to me that given Mao's clean short, Caro would have been WITHOUT medal:eek: So I change my mind. At least Mao had 2010:scard8: But, yeah, it would be great if 4 skaters somehow got medals (like, equal score or something)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think of ones to change and then I reconsider them, and I've just realised the obvious one! Plushy having to withdraw at Sochi - I never really saw it happen because I wasn't watching it live and frankly I don't want to see it - because it was so sad! And the nasty comments he got for it afterwards was just appalling "Traitor to your country", "True Russians would never give up no matter what the injury", "Ruined the entire Men's Figure Skating competition by leaving Russia with no entrant" (like what did some of these people want? For him to paralyise himself live on TV? That'd be a ruined competition for you.)

Also, poor Brian Joubert at Torino - he was like 2nd after the short program I think? Then had an utter disaster of a long and ended up off the podium, poor guy! Same thing basically happened in Vancouver, great short, horrible long. Brian couldn't get a break at the Olympics!

penguin

On the Ice
I'd give Yuzu a perfect skate in Sochi. I don't want to mess with actual results (even in my hypothetical scenario lol) so if Patrick had won gold I'd be wishing for his clean skate instead. But the men's event was so disappointing all around that even though I think Yuzu already earned his gold medal, I'd like to insert one shining skate there to make the event feel satisfying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nika09

On the Ice
OG 2014: Asada and Lipnitskaya having their best clean programs, fair judging and then final results and medals depend on it. But this looks too much even for magic power so I would like to keep my chance for PyeongChang.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Since the most obvious ones have been mentioned, I'll go outside the box: Denisse Biellmann wins 1980 Olympics.

beki

Medalist
I'd give Yuzu a perfect skate in Sochi. I don't want to mess with actual results (even in my hypothetical scenario lol) so if Patrick had won gold I'd be wishing for his clean skate instead. But the men's event was so disappointing all around that even though I think Yuzu already earned his gold medal, I'd like to insert one shining skate there to make the event feel satisfying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It was disappointing, but had he been perfect his motivation going forward would have been different. So I don't want to mess with his evolution.

I don't know what I would change. This affects the summer Olympics, but I would like to undo the Cold War boycotts in 1980 and 1984.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Also, poor Brian Joubert at Torino - he was like 2nd after the short program I think? Then had an utter disaster of a long and ended up off the podium, poor guy! Same thing basically happened in Vancouver, great short, horrible long. Brian couldn't get a break at the Olympics!

Vancouver was worse, he was 18th after the SP :slink: In Torino he was 4th after SP, and 7th in the FS, so even if he was a medal contender, it was not tragic. He couldn't handle the Olympic pressure, unfortunately :cry:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Vancouver was worse, he was 18th after the SP :slink: In Torino he was 4th after SP, and 7th in the FS, so even if he was a medal contender, it was not tragic. He couldn't handle the Olympic pressure, unfortunately :cry:

Huh, my mistake! Poor Brian indeed! Although, sometimes I think it'd be worse to be in medal contention and then miss out rather than be totally out of the running after the short. Because then you're not as disappointed! In Torino especially because apart from Plushy the top four were pretty close in score...could have been anyone's silver...

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Huh, my mistake! Poor Brian indeed! Although, sometimes I think it'd be worse to be in medal contention and then miss out rather than be totally out of the running after the short. Because then you're not as disappointed! In Torino especially because apart from Plushy the top four were pretty close in score...could have been anyone's silver...

Exactly, and imo after a bad SP maybe it is easier to do well in the FS, because the pressure gets less (I can only think of Mao...)
Weir, Lambiel and Joubert were close, also Dai and Jeffrey were all within 7 points each other, but Plush had a ten point lead.

uhh

Medalist
I'd fix Javi's zayaked 3S at Sochi. He could double the 2S- and then finally get his Oly medal

This is the one for me as well. I'd also keep Takahashi upright on his quad in Vancouver & give Lambiel a 3A in both programs which then should have been enough to have them both on the podium.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Tell the IOC back in 2007 to choose Salzburg Austria to host the 2014 Olympics lol...

ioanna

Record Breaker
Machida doing a 3Lz in his SP at Sochi instead of 2Lz... that would have given him the extra 1.8 points needed to get the bronze medal.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd skating a perfect/near perfect free skate program in 1998 Nagano. Not to take away from Philippe's wonderful free skate, but I was hoping Todd would medal.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
First I thought about Mao skating in Sochi the same SP she did a few weeks later at Worlds. But then, like someone else mentioned, it would mean Caro getting the potato medal and it would be too cruel.
So I would go with S/S winning the gold medal at Sochi by performing a clean LP with a 3A throw at the end. Too many pairs got their fairytale Olympics during their "era" (S/Z Vancouver and V/T Sochi). They dominated the sport for so long. I still cannot get over the fact that they are not even silver Olympic medalists.
A strong second option would be a clean Daisuke (with quad and all) in Vancouver. That way, no quad controversy and we would have the best skater at that time winning the title.