If you could change one Olympic moment... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

If you could change one Olympic moment...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
For me . . .

Sasha gets that perfect skate of Romeo & Juliet.

Or . . .

Tai & Randy get to compete healthy in 1980.

andromache

Record Breaker
Michelle is healthy enough to compete at Olympics in 2006 and wins it all despite her COP deficiencies, because that event was so underwhelming that it really wouldn't have been outside of the realm of possibility for her to do so.

Ziotic

Medalist
I go with Sale and Pelletier not having a tainted gold in 2002, but then I guess we probably wouldn't have COP.

AnaBM

Rinkside
My Olympic switcherroo/change would be either

1. Brian Orser beating Scott Hamilton in 1984
or
2. Plushenko beating Evan in 2010
or
3. Michelle beating Tara in 1998

I'd fix Javi's zayaked 3S at Sochi. He could double the 2S- and then finally get his Oly medal

All these, all the way + Yuna getting the second gold at Sochi. Even if it's shared with Sotnikova, I don't care šŸ˜¢

desertskates

Medalist
First I "liked" this thought, but then it suddenly came to me that given Mao's clean short, Caro would have been WITHOUT medal:eek: So I change my mind. At least Mao had 2010:scard8: But, yeah, it would be great if 4 skaters somehow got medals (like, equal score or something)

Yeah, I thought that, too. But I would have liked to see her have a fighting chance after the short, even if she just went for a double axel. The ladies that medaled really did deserve it.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Caryn Kadavy catching the flu AFTER the competition instead of in the middle of it. What an awful thing to happen...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wish Elvis had been groin injury and flu free in Nagano to see if he could have pushed for his gold. Can't say that Kulik didn't deserve it because he was brilliant but it would have been nice if Elvis was at 100% to see if he could have edged the gold.

Stojko was not injured at 1997-98 GPF where Kulik also did beat him...

I would change the result of Sochi ladies event and would give Sotnikova the bronze medal, which she deserved, IMO.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An awful lot of the "Changing Olympic Moments" seem to be...

"I would let my favorite win, and for the judges to realize other skaters suck."

Not in keeping with the Olympic spirit, IMO.

Barb

Record Breaker
I would have preferred:

-In Sochi, Mao skating her LP in the last group.
-Maia and Alex not having that problem with their lift. The mistake was not evident for the casual viewer but I know they were very disappointed about that stupid problem with the costumes.
-W/P getting bronze medal in Sochi.
-Yuzu, Patrick and Daisuke skating clean.
-Plushenko skating in the individual event.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I would lift the "3flip Curse". Tiffany Chin would have won with a clean 3flip. Orser possibly in Calgary. Kerrigan in Lillehamer. Urmanov in Lillehamer. Kwan in SLC.

After that, I'd give anything to have Debi Thomas do a clean 3/3 to open her Carmen. She did already seem psyched out, but who knows if she could have gone clean with the confidence of a 3/3.

Also, Sasha Cohen hitting her 3Z-3T in SLC.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tai & Randy get to compete healthy in 1980.

Definitely this....As the reigning World Champions they were certainly the favorites going in and I remember how the whole country was devastated when they had to withdraw. It was all over the news and sports pages when they had to pull out and it was a big story for quite a while. It would have been different if they had skated badly, or were robbed in a scoring scandal. The fact that they never got to skate at all is why their story is so sad to me. I bet they still say "What If?" to this very day.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Can I also add Tonya Harding winning 1994 Olympics?

Like....not really....but it would've been fascinating to see what USFS and the media would've done had Tonya been in great shape, done 3As, and won (yes, after the knee-whack and all). ISU/IOC would've never let it happen, but let's say that Tonya skated two perfect programs with the 3A and everyone else bombed.

I'm a sucker for insider drama and conspiracy theories. I wouldn't have been surprised if Tonya's involvement in the crime would've been hushed up. OGM = $$$$ not only for Tonya, but for USFS, ice shows, etc.

Nancy gets dropped, Tonya becomes a rags-to-riches America's Sweetheart, etc. But then again, Tonya winning OGM would've likely gone on to have way more problems than Oksana Baiul did.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, that would have been awesome! Where do you think she would have placed? There was plenty of room over Sarah's scores since she didn't receive a single 5.9.

I don't know about Sasha. She was IMO, her own worst enemy. Didn't she fall on COE camel spin at an event? She could go from brilliant to tragic faster than any champion I ever saw. Well, Maybe Maria's 1998 fall on footwork. But, with all of Sasha's obvious talent, it's a shame she didn't have better career from a medal standpoint.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since it's only just one, my wish is that Michelle didn't fall on her flip at SLC in 2002. But would that have been enough for the judges to place her over Irina? I would like to think so.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't know about Sasha. She was IMO, her own worst enemy. Didn't she fall on COE camel spin at an event? She could go from brilliant to tragic faster than any champion I ever saw. Well, Maybe Maria's 1998 fall on footwork. But, with all of Sasha's obvious talent, it's a shame she didn't have better career from a medal standpoint.

Have to disagree. Was a major Sasha fan back when she competed, and I was always disappointed whenever she lost a competition. That said, she was probably one of the most decorated ladies of the 2002-2006 quad - 3 World medals + GPF gold + GPF silver + a slew of GP medals. Considering the fact that her only clean LP was in a fluff competition, she had a great career from a medal standpoint.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Yeah, even if she had hit the combination, she might have lost her concentration later in the program. I still wonder how she would have stacked up if she were clean in SLC. IIRC she even won a few ordinals over Irina in the SP.