If you could change one Olympic moment... | Page 5 | Golden Skate

If you could change one Olympic moment...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have to disagree. Was a major Sasha fan back when she competed, and I was always disappointed whenever she lost a competition. That said, she was probably one of the most decorated ladies of the 2002-2006 quad - 3 World medals + GPF gold + GPF silver + a slew of GP medals. Considering the fact that her only clean LP was in a fluff competition, she had a great career from a medal standpoint.

So true. I'm sure Gracie or Ashley would love to have her record. (And don't forget her Olympic silver).

mrrice

Record Breaker
So true. I'm sure Gracie or Ashley would love to have her record. (And don't forget her Olympic silver).

This is true. However, losing to Kimmie at Worlds in 2006 was nothing short of sad. Yes, Kimmie skated well but, Sasha was the US Champion going into Worlds and without Shizuka being there, Sasha was the clear favorite. She also had a 6 point lead over Kimmie going into the free and had she landed one more jump, she would have been 3rd in the free and won the event due to her win in the SP, right?

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She also had a 6 point lead over Kimmie going into the free and had she landed one more jump, she would have been 3rd in the free and won the event due to her win in the SP, right?

I think qualifying scores counted back then, so Sasha was well behind Kimmie at the end of the event, around 10 points.

jaylee

Medalist
This is true. However, losing to Kimmie at Worlds in 2006 was nothing short of sad. Yes, Kimmie skated well but, Sasha was the US Champion going into Worlds and without Shizuka being there, Sasha was the clear favorite. She also had a 6 point lead over Kimmie going into the free and had she landed one more jump, she would have been 3rd in the free and won the event due to her win in the SP, right?

I agree. I wish Sasha had skated better and gotten the win.

Looking back, Sasha's performance was a disaster, but Kimmie's "clean" performance wasn't great, either. Her 3/3s were highly cheated, the choreography was ridiculous, and Kimmie's artistry and range of movement was extremely limited (and remained limited throughout her career). Sasha actually did a lot for the sport of skating, far more than Kimmie did, and I wish she had won the world title.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Yeah, those thing were ugly. I loved the Sochi Medals.....Those things were cool....:agree:

Yes the Sochi ones are really nice. I like the medals that use some special materials other than metals, like the Nagano ones which were really nice too with lacquer.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Stojko was not injured at 1997-98 GPF where Kulik also did beat him...
My point is that it would have been a more even fight. Just because there was one outcome at one competition, it doesn't mean that it's going to be the same outcome every time...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can I also add Tonya Harding winning 1994 Olympics?

Like....not really....but it would've been fascinating to see what USFS and the media would've done had Tonya been in great shape, done 3As, and won (yes, after the knee-whack and all). ISU/IOC would've never let it happen, but let's say that Tonya skated two perfect programs with the 3A and everyone else bombed.

I'm a sucker for insider drama and conspiracy theories. I wouldn't have been surprised if Tonya's involvement in the crime would've been hushed up. OGM = $$$$ not only for Tonya, but for USFS, ice shows, etc.

Nancy gets dropped, Tonya becomes a rags-to-riches America's Sweetheart, etc. But then again, Tonya winning OGM would've likely gone on to have way more problems than Oksana Baiul did.

What an evil mind you have! I love it.

The drama would NEVER have ended. It would be glorious.

Figure skating's image can be a bit prissy. Tonya Harding, Olympic Gold Medalist and Criminal Mastermind, would have been hilarious.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning wouldn't have landed the 3Flip on his butt in the SP in 1994.

noskates

Record Breaker
If I could change one thing it would the same as Tonichelle - Kurt Browning would have won the Olympic Gold Medal. Maybe if I could have changed two moments it would be that Michelle Kwan won an OGM.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If I could change one thing it would the same as Tonichelle - Kurt Browning would have won the Olympic Gold Medal.

Though, even with that stupid fall, his SP was one of the best Olympic SPs IMO (yes I'm completely biased). I just love that program.

reneerose

Final Flight
Todd Eldredge's failed triple axel attempts at the 1998 Nagano Olympic Games in his beautiful Gettysburg long program i would completely erase with my wand and replace with clean ones. He would have been on the podium!

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
No fall from the 3Lo and 3F instead of the double for Irina Slutskaya during her free skate at the Torino Olympics.

ETA: because I really wanted her to be the first Russian ladies Olympic Champion. She would have deserved it...she was the best Russian lady for a whole decade (!), she's a very charismatic skater and her technique was amazing at the time.
But maybe some things just aren't meant to be :(

Last edited:

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I am another for changing Kurt Browning's fall in the SP in 1994. It was a great program. He was the greatest skater I have seen. Wow did I want him to have that Gold medal. There are other Olympic moments I would like to change, but they all pale compared with this one.