If you could change one Olympic moment... | Page 6 | Golden Skate

If you could change one Olympic moment...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
My point is that it would have been a more even fight. Just because there was one outcome at one competition, it doesn't mean that it's going to be the same outcome every time...

Perhaps not, but to me it was a clear indication that Kulik would win if he and Stojko are technically about equal. I don´t think that Stojko with his look on the ice and skating style was ever a favorite among the judges, he won only when there was no other choice even remotely..

madforskating

On the Ice
If I could change anything, I'd have Mao Asada not pop the toe loop in Vancouver, so she'd win the OGM. She also deserved to win the SP there IMO.

This is, of course, no offense to Yuna who wholeheartedly deserved her OGM the way things happened.

Also I think Stolbova/Klimov should've edged Volosozhar/Trankov in the 2014 free skate but that wouldn't have affected the medals so who cares.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Javi's zayaking :palmf:
Mao being eligible in 2006.
Mao's SP in Sochi :sad21: and her undermarked LP by FAR the best of the night.
Zhang/Zhang HORRIBLE fall in 2006.
Delobel/Schoenfelder in MY opinion should have medalled in 2006 also. (AWESOME FD)
Dubreil/Lauzon big fall in 2006 and actually the entire OD envent was a disaster, BUT i'll never take away that Barbara FP stare. EVER. EPIC.
Stolbova/Klimov in 2014 : I wanted them to win, that was perfection (but I guess V/T had a higher technical content?)
And probably many more...

padme21

On the Ice
Mao would skate a perfect SP in Sochi that combined with her LP and she would the Olympic Champion. With Carolina and Yuna in silver and bronze respectively.

Yulia not having a meltdown and placing 4th in the ladies event.

Hanyu skating his 2014 worlds LP at Sochi.

Javier not Zayaking in Sochi and there for winning the bronze medal.

Michelle Kwan not falling and winning the OGM in 2002.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
If I could change anything, I'd have Mao Asada not pop the toe loop in Vancouver, so she'd win the OGM. She also deserved to win the SP there IMO.

This is, of course, no offense to Yuna who wholeheartedly deserved her OGM the way things happened.

Also I think Stolbova/Klimov should've edged Volosozhar/Trankov in the 2014 free skate but that wouldn't have affected the medals so who cares.

If Mao hadn't popped the 3T (+hadn't got an UR on her flip) it doesn't mean she would have won the OGM, or that she would have been near to Yuna's score. No offence, just saying :)

Ruffles78

On the Ice
Oh gosh, Michelle. 2002. Always.
I would say the same only if the rest of her career continued the way it did. 2003-2004 were amazing. If not, I'd wish that instead of getting re-injured she'd have steadily gotten stronger going into the competition and won Torino.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

andromache

Record Breaker
If Mao hadn't popped the 3T (+hadn't got an UR on her flip) it doesn't mean she would have won the OGM, or that she would have been near to Yuna's score. No offence, just saying :)

One of the things mentioned by Jackie and Phil Hersh during their discussion of Mao's career on Ice Talk was that they felt she was really held back by two things in 2010: her LP music (too heavy, not suited for Mao's soft style) and that the first part of the program spent too much time setting up the 3As.

I definitely agree on the music, at least. Mao's programs in 2010 were just not stunners, IMO, and while they might be the faves of some fans, discussions I've seen of Mao's greatest programs usually focus on other ones. OTOH, Yuna's 2010 programs are generally agreed to be iconic. (I'm not the biggest Gershwin LP fan tbh - I just prefer more drama or more subtlety, but that program was perfect for the Olympics, whereas my preferred Yuna programs like SITC are just too subtle and understated for major Olympic appeal).

Mao had OGM-level LPs most years, but not in 2010.

madforskating

On the Ice

Well for me a girl who lands 3 clean 3A's including one in combination deserves an OGM even though Yuna was AMAZING too. I have always felt like Mao was an under appreciated skater who was shadowed by Yuna. Because she was the more technical of the two, the judges pitted Yuna as the more artistic, and so Mao's PCS suffered IMO.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
One of the things mentioned by Jackie and Phil Hersh during their discussion of Mao's career on Ice Talk was that they felt she was really held back by two things in 2010: her LP music (too heavy, not suited for Mao's soft style) and that the first part of the program spent too much time setting up the 3As.

I definitely agree on the music, at least. Mao's programs in 2010 were just not stunners, IMO, and while they might be the faves of some fans, discussions I've seen of Mao's greatest programs usually focus on other ones. OTOH, Yuna's 2010 programs are generally agreed to be iconic. (I'm not the biggest Gershwin LP fan tbh - I just prefer more drama or more subtlety, but that program was perfect for the Olympics, whereas my preferred Yuna programs like SITC are just too subtle and understated for major Olympic appeal).

Mao had OGM-level LPs most years, but not in 2010.

I agree with Jackie and Phil on the music, I think it didn't really suit Mao's style and also it was a bit repetitive too.

Also the 3As, I respect her a lot that she landed three triple axels at the Olympics, because it was an incredible achievement. But to land it twice in the fs was probably so difficult that after she landed them she lost her focus for half a minute, and she did the mistakes (but tbh, if she had landed them, the quality of all her other jumps except the axel was not equal to Yuna's anyway).

Except for Csardas from 2006/2007, I prefer all of her post Vancouver LPs. Madame Butterfly is my ultimate favourite. And her Nocturne SP (the one from 2013/2014) is one of my all-time favourite programs :bow:

Ballade88

On the Ice
Michelle skating her Nationals performances in Nagano and winning the OGM.
Mao skating her Worlds SP in Sochi and getting the score she deserved for her LP, and winning the OGM.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Michelle skating her Nationals performances in Nagano and winning the OGM.
Mao skating her Worlds SP in Sochi and getting the score she deserved for her LP, and winning the OGM.

Welcome to the forums! It would have been great to see Mao win Sochi, but I think having no pressure in the LP helped her skate freer. I would have liked to see Michelle win in Nagano, too, but I'm not sure if the Nationals program would have done it. She did win the US judge's ordinal in Nagano, so I'm not sure which two of Tara's judges she could have flipped given the difficulty of Lipinski's programs. 5.8's across the board for technical merit would have done it for Kwan, but I'm not sure that the judges wouldn't have left room for the others even had she skated like she did at Nationals. We'll never know for sure.

Danibellerika

Medalist
One Olympic moment to change. Without a doubt I'd choose Sasha Cohen repeating her Nationals free skate at the Olympics in 2006. It wasn't perfect but it would have been enough that day!

Either that or Sasha not falling on her 3/3 in 2002 Olympics. I think they would have given it to her over Hughes. But if Sasha won then then I don't think she would have stuck around much longer and given us some of the signature performances she gave.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Well for me a girl who lands 3 clean 3A's including one in combination deserves an OGM even though Yuna was AMAZING too. I have always felt like Mao was an under appreciated skater who was shadowed by Yuna. Because she was the more technical of the two, the judges pitted Yuna as the more artistic, and so Mao's PCS suffered IMO.

How in the world is Asada more technical with her numerous URs and technical difficulties?

lyndichee

Medalist

Well figure skating is not a jump contest and I hope the scoring system will value a program that greater than the sum of it's parts rather than individual technical achievements. I don't think landing 3 clean 3As is enough of reason to change the placements.

musicfan80

Medalist
Kurt Browning - 1994 Olympics SP. Nothing else has come close in my lifetime. :sad21:

I was also sad about Michelle Kwan in 2002 - but she at least has 2 Olympic medals. If Kurt had just been clean in the SP, he would have at least won bronze in 1994.