If you could change one Olympic moment... | Page 8 | Golden Skate

If you could change one Olympic moment...

longtimefan

Spectator
Michele would not have skated first in Nagano.
The camera would not have been on Tara screaming in Nagano.
Yes...I'm still very bitter about this particular medal.

Randy and Tai would have skated and won.

All judging would be fair.

Bartek

On the Ice
If you could change one moment in Olympic history, would you? If so, which would it be?

Note: This isn't a thread to discuss judging / wuzrobbed but rather if you had magical powers but could only use it to change one Olympic moment/result, including keeping skaters upright :biggrin:

Upon Mao's retirement, I started thinking (for the 29487th time) what a mixed blessing it is that she, like Michelle, never won OGM. As much as it breaks my heart that neither of them won at the Olympics when they very well could have, we likely wouldn't have gotten such long careers out of them had they won.

So I got to thinking: if you could go back in time and change Olympic history (and give someone an Olympic gold with the consequence that they would have likely retired afterwards) would you?

I probably wouldn't give either of them OGM in their first go, as their second olympic cycles were where they really came into their own as artists. I'm more emotionally attached to Mao (as much as I respect Michelle, I just wasn't old enough to appreciate her at the time), but even with her, I hesitate. If anything, I would probably give Mao a clean Sochi SP assuming that then her 8-triple FS would have won her gold, but this comes in exchange for never witnessing her Madame Butterfly (which is my favorite program of hers) two years later.

What about you guys? Or is there anyone other than Michelle or Mao that you would have used your powers on?

Your contemplations are absolutely fascinating. I'm in two minds about choosing either one of these scenarios you've outlined for Mao. A clean Chopin in Sochi and consequently an OMG or missing out on an OMG but staying and showing us 6 more fantastic programs: Bei Mir Bistu Shein, Madama Butterfly, Puttin' on the Ritz, Ritual Fire Dance Black and Red and Cello Suite.

I wish she had skated in Torino, where she would have likely medalled or perhaps even won. I think she would have continued her career until Sochi despite winning an OMG.

taltaltel

On the Ice
The Sochi scoring. Yuna could have consolidated her legacy as a two-time Olympic champion, which she truly deserved. And if only Adelina hadn't gotten that controversial gold, I think she would have stuck around longer and showed us what she was truly capable of. Instead of focusing on her "cheated" gold medal, we could be talking about how she actually is one of the most talented female skaters of all time, with her huge jumps, incredible flexibility and budding artistry. I think if she had set her mind to it after Sochi she could eventually have landed a 3A or a quad as well. And she still has the best illusion spin of all time IMO. Oh well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If I could change one Olymic moment I might add it would be the moment that fans and the public started the hatred towards Sotnikova at Sochi. It isn't her fault she skated her best and the judges gave her the highest marks. Moreover, disappointment, frustration and even admiration for Yuna is one thing but we have seen hatred including threat or very disparaging comments towards Sotnikova.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I could change one Olymic moment I might add it would be the moment that fans and the public started the hatred towards Sotnikova at Sochi. It isn't her fault she skated her best and the judges gave her the highest marks. Moreover, disappointment, frustration and even admiration for Yuna is one thing but we have seen hatred including threat or very disparaging comments towards Sotnikova.

Her win was my favorite Olympic victory in 20 years.

So my Olympic moment would be to roll back time and relive it, with one eye on the TV and one eye on Goldenskate boards.

It was GLORIOUS.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Her win was my favorite Olympic victory in 20 years.

So my Olympic moment would be to roll back time and relive it, with one eye on the TV and one eye on Goldenskate boards.

It was GLORIOUS.

Hopefully certain people don't find your post. Otherwise ... you're in danger :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And if only Adelina hadn't gotten that controversial gold, I think she would have stuck around longer and showed us what she was truly capable of.

You mean changing the scoring in Sochi would have stopped her Achilles tendon from snapping? That's news to me. :scratch2:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I would go back to 2002 and stop any other time traveler from stopping the Salt Lake City scandal, so that we may continue to revel in the current scoring system, and the glorious era of quads.

If I had to actively do something, I would kill the people responsible for killing the compulsory components.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
You mean changing the scoring in Sochi would have stopped her Achilles tendon from snapping? That's news to me. :scratch2:

The injury took away half a season from her, not her entire post-Sochi career. She might have gone to Worlds in 2014, too, if she hadn't won that gold at the Olympics. And who knows what could have happened to her in 2015/2016, or this season.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I would go back to 2002 and stop any other time traveler from stopping the Salt Lake City scandal, so that we may continue to revel in the current scoring system, and the glorious era of quads.

If I had to actively do something, I would kill the people responsible for killing the compulsory components.

What do you mean by killing the compulsory elements? :scratch2: Compulsory figures?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, I can understand your dismay at the elimination of figures, but I wouldn't kill anyone over it.

Erin S

Rinkside
I would make Michelle wake up on her first morning in Torino and have her hip magically healed to what it was in 2003. After that I would just want to see what happened. As the original post suggested, it would have been a shame to miss out on her glorious 2003 and 2004 programs. And I also wouldn't want to just say "I wish she had won the gold in 2006." What I wish she had had was a CHANCE to try to win the gold in 2006 as I would very much have loved to have watched her and if she had been uninjured I think she very well could have.

lappo

Final Flight
I wish Sasha Cohen skated her R&J clean at Turin (which I love, despite the falls) and then see who would have won between her and Shizuka, who I also like very much. I wish Sochi had no controversial scoring.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan lands her 3F at SLC. It was a heart shattering moment...:(

The Salt Lake city scandal did not bring in the glorious era of quads. Quite the opposite. By spurring the ISU to come up with a new scoring system, it set quads back by a decade.

Under the old system Tim Goebel hit three quads in the LP. When was the next time someone duplicated this feat?

But if you are going back to 2002, try to prop up Michelle Kwan so she doesn't fall on her triple flip. :yes:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Hey Zanadude. I don't mean to be rude but are you being sarcastic here or do you mean it? I am a bit confused.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully certain people don't find your post. Otherwise ... you're in danger :biggrin:

LOL. I get a small thrill of pleasure with each little modern meltdown, but nothing can compare with the implosion I saw in real time.

Again, it was GLORIOUS!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
LOL. I get a small thrill of pleasure with each little modern meltdown, but nothing can compare with the implosion I saw in real time.

Again, it was GLORIOUS!

Were you big fan of Adelina or rooted for her in Sochi?