If you could change one Olympic moment... | Page 9 | Golden Skate

If you could change one Olympic moment...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Were you big fan of Adelina or rooted for her in Sochi?

Actually, I didn't have any particular favorite, although I certainly thought she skated very well.

By Sochi, I had grown very, very weary of the squabbling between the camps of favorites. For nearly two years running up to the Games, it could be difficult to have a rational critical discussion about ladies figure skating. I was sick of the whole thing, and I was thrilled that the Games delivered a gold medal that broke all their hearts. I mean I jumped up and down with joy.

So, every time we have a "wuzrobbed" tangent about Sochi, I am reminded of how happy I was in that moment.

musicfan80

Medalist
I wish Sasha Cohen skated her R&J clean at Turin (which I love, despite the falls) and then see who would have won between her and Shizuka, who I also like very much.

I would have loved to seen Sasha skate a clean LP in Torino. I think that Shizuka would have still won, though - because I think she would have gone for a 3/3 if she thought she needed it.

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
At the time I was rooting for Sasha; regardless, I wish Shizuka had thrown a gorgeous 3/3. I understand why she didn't but it was anticlimactic.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I wish I could change 2.
Sasha Cohen's 2010 loss and the podium at Sochi.

I would have had it:
1. Carolina
2. Yuna
3. Gracie
4. Adelina

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
One moment : Plushenko can skate in the individual event in Sochi. I don't care of his result, but probably he would have been on the 3-5 places. Thus he would have gone to heaven and his all Russian haters could go to hell! :biggrin:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'd like to have seen Maxim get his chance in Sochi.

Nice dream .... That was impossible, because Voronov was the first substitute. The Russian Fed had the right choice, they really wanted the team gold.

Look at how Maxim skated at team WCH..But if he had skated well in Euros 2014.. you have been chance to see him in Sochi

And what about Oda or Nagasu? (Daisuke went to Sochi instead of Oda, Wagner instead of Nagasu)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I agree. I wish Sasha had skated better and gotten the win.

Looking back, Sasha's performance was a disaster, but Kimmie's "clean" performance wasn't great, either. Her 3/3s were highly cheated, the choreography was ridiculous, and Kimmie's artistry and range of movement was extremely limited (and remained limited throughout her career). Sasha actually did a lot for the sport of skating, far more than Kimmie did, and I wish she had won the world title.

Kimmie's choreography was quite good, more purposeful than a lot of what we see these days. She was just green. It was definitely a tragedy how Sasha threw that title away though. I feel like there was a lot more pressure in those days, people still had the mindset of "making a mistake means you lose". You seemingly had to be perfect and that got to her head. These days a mistake often doesn't mean anything in particular, the points can easily be made up elsewhere if you are as favored as someone like Sasha was for that event. Plus the ability to learn technique has become so much more refined now.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Kimmie's choreography was quite good, more purposeful than a lot of what we see these days. She was just green. It was definitely a tragedy how Sasha threw that title away though. I feel like there was a lot more pressure in those days, people still had the mindset of "making a mistake means you lose". You seemingly had to be perfect and that got to her head. These days a mistake often doesn't mean anything in particular, the points can easily be made up elsewhere if you are as favored as someone like Sasha was for that event. Plus the ability to learn technique has become so much more refined now.

I think Sasha was ill prepared for that competition - she had a lot of 'distractions' between Olympics and Worlds and simply was not training properly, she was going to skip it but her mother persuaded her to go - I wish she didn't :(

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have to go back in my mind and agree with posters who would choose that Randy Gardner's injury would be healed and that he and Tai could've skated in 1980. Even though they were the defending World Champs, I still think Rodnina and Zaitsev would have still won, but Tai and Randy would have skated two sublime programs and won the silver medal.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish I could change 2.
Sasha Cohen's 2010 loss and the podium at Sochi.

I would have had it:
1. Carolina
2. Yuna
3. Gracie
4. Adelina

Gracie before Adelina? With a fall? I like Gracie, don't get me wrong, but the top three were correct at Sochi. The only argument is over what the order should have been.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There might be merit in the artistry over athleticism argument had Michelle skated with freedom and joy.

She skated cautiously and nervously at Nagano. While certainly not a disaster by any stretch, it wasn't one of her great skates. She knew it, too. You could tell in the Kiss and Cry. She left the door open. The judges had to leave room, because that performance was beatable.

Tara, meanwhile, skated with absolute abandon. I wish things had been different, but on that night, I think Tara clearly beat her.

I don't think it's clear at all. Tara was over-marked on the second mark. She never should have received any 5.9s for that. She was even marked ahead of Lu Chen. The judges got caught up in the moment, unfortunately. Tara deserved first on tech but second (or third) on presentation. The second mark breaks a tie in the long program (if there is one) under 6.0, so Michelle wins.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
Yuna winning Sochi gold. Going into the Olympics I was so certain she would win it. It never occurred to me she wouldn't esp not in the way it turned out.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Gracie before Adelina? With a fall? I like Gracie, don't get me wrong, but the top three were correct at Sochi. The only argument is over what the order should have been.

I honestly thought Adelina's skates were way too boring to be in the top 3, others were better than her to me with mistakes. I feel much differently about it than others, I am aware. I could actually see it being:

1. Carolina
2. Yuna
3. Mao (her long program was way underscored)
4. Gracie
5. Adelina

It's just how I felt watching it. Adelina's PCS should have been much less, and I felt Gracie was scored spot on. I became a Gracie fan through the olympics, her programs had a lot more detail in them than Adelina's, Lori and Marina did a good job with her that season because her programs were what she needed at the time and she seemed to enjoy them.

Last edited:

Perfume

Match Penalty
I want to erase the 2002 scandal. Because Jamie Sale made me sick I couldn't stand her whining.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I'm going to go outside of the box and say that I would change the IOC's choice to stagger the Summer and Winter Olympics. Mainly because I'd love to see what the outcomes would have been, but also I think Michelle could have competed in a 3rd Olympics if they had been in '96, '00 & '04 and would have got to go out on her own terms.

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Sashie

Notice my username, which I coined in 2010 actually. LOL It's a very simple one for me: Sasha skating a clean Romeo & Juliet at the '06 games.
The look on her face for the S.P. was confident, with an, "I know I can do this." look. Like so many people who commented on it, including the announcers, I noticed the look on her face going into the long was very worried.
I felt like i had the FLUE for about five days afterward.