Chan fears for skaters' health/quads | Golden Skate

Chan fears for skaters' health/quads

Taan

On the Ice
Chan fears for skaters' health in era of quads :drama:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-figureskating-men-quads-chan-idUSKBN17L07T
"The advantage of a 17-year-old like Nathan and Shoma ... (is that) there is a bit of disconnect between the toll their bodies are physically going through and the connection to the brain where it’s sending the pain," said Chan, who won a hat-trick of world titles from 2011 to 2013.

"Even if there’s an injury, because you are young ... your body is really efficient at recovering quickly and masking potential injuries.

"However, we are treading into the unknown when it comes to men’s skating. Maybe they (the ISU) need to limit the amount of quads you can do in the long program.

"But I don’t think that will happen until somebody actually does get hurt."

Chan rolled his eyes when he heard Olympic champion Hanyu claim "scientifically... five rotations in the air is a possibility".
:drama:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Chan is correct here and I don't see it as him being a drama queen as suggested above.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I expect the ISU to follow Patrick's suggestion to limit the number of quads the same way it followed Jill Trenary's suggestion to limit the amount of triples in the 90s :p

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I agree with the danger of quads on the body....and how one can feel invincible during teenage years and do irreversible damage.
I hope the scoring system will change soon, to give more emphasis to other areas of skating and rebalance the scale a bit.
However, IF Chan had skated a clean LP. IF Javi had skated a clean LP, they both would have been on the podium at worlds and well-rounded skaters/performers like Javi and Patrick are still being rewarded for the well-roundedness. The podium could have been Javi/Yuzu/Patrick. Please skate clean guys!
And I hope we see a more balanced scoring system come of this BEFORE anyone gets seriously injured.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it's hard to limit quads other than by the Zayak rule. People enjoy seeing the jumps done, and the risk of the quads adds drama to the event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick has discussed this so many times, I am not even sure why this is now released? He has been saying since his return that he would take care of his body first and foremost.

The only bit of news I read here, and I am not sure if we ought to take this seriously is that he would be planning to add a quad flip for the games.... that's something we fan have fantasized about because we know (hearsay from David Wilson for instance) that he's been landing them earlier on before 2014...but he has never really trained them seriously nor has ever mentioned adding them to his programs... that's quite new here...

the rest? old news... I concur : why the :drama: unless that's an attempt at Chan shaming for saying out loud what so many think already

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The way he impiles that Shoma has no balance between artistic and jump make me laugh.

Patrick never said anything of the sort in that article, so either reading comprehension is lacking here, or someone wants to put words in his mouth.:sarcasm:

treeloving

Medalist
Patrick never said anything of the sort in that article, so either reading comprehension is lacking here, or someone wants to put words in his mouth.:sarcasm:

However, the rapidly changing landscape in men's figure skating means that the artistic and aesthetically pleasing performers, such as Chan and two-times world champion Javier Fernandez, may soon become an extinct breed.

"Unfortunately... I definitely don’t see another Javi or another me coming up in the world of skating. I see a lot of Boyangs and lot of Shomas coming up in the sport in the junior level," Chan said.

"That’s the direction dictated by the judges and how the events are being judged."

Whatever..........

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
However, the rapidly changing landscape in men's figure skating means that the artistic and aesthetically pleasing performers, such as Chan and two-times world champion Javier Fernandez, may soon become an extinct breed.

"Unfortunately... I definitely don’t see another Javi or another me coming up in the world of skating. I see a lot of Boyangs and lot of Shomas coming up in the sport in the junior level," Chan said.

"That’s the direction dictated by the judges and how the events are being judged."

Whatever..........

:rolleye: I don't interpret that as him saying Shoma isn't artistic in his own right. YMMV.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

It's this quote,
"Unfortunately... I definitely don’t see another Javi or another me coming up in the world of skating. I see a lot of Boyangs and lot of Shomas coming up in the sport in the junior level,"
--Made me go, 'huh'? All skaters are unique. So no, there won't be another Javi or Patrick. But in terms of what kind of strengths they are naturally equipped with they are actually similar to a young Javi and a young Patrick. Boyang, with his quads and vivacious personality, Shoma with his deep edges, knees and power across the ice. -Only they have harder jumps than Javi and Patrick did at the same age. Javi developed artistry and better skating skills later on, Patrick is doing harder jumps now than he did before. -So if the scoring system were to shift a little to encourage more focus on skating skills and presentation, then chances are good that Boyang and Shoma can be the next generation of supremely enjoyable and well-rounded skaters. They are doing a good job now as it is.

sarama

Medalist
I don't think he's​ saying anything particularly strange. It is true that nobody really knows what all these quads will do to the skaters' bodies, and that is concerning, but there isn't much that can be done right now: unfortunately Boyang, Nathan, Shoma, Vincent and many others will have to test on their own bodies if this is too much to handle.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick has been so respectful of all the kids coming up to the scene these last two years.... and praised Shoma, Boyang and Nathan repeatedly. But when he does that, nobody notices right ? :confused2:

Taan

On the Ice
:scratch2:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan is right to voice concern for skaters' health. He's careful about his own, for now and for his life after the competitive skating career. He will retire soon and will likely survive the tolls quads take on his body better than most, as we know there are elite skaters being injured trying to land their quads, both while learning it and during attempts in practice and in competitions. It is particularly worthy of concerns with growing teenagers doing so many of them day in and day out, even if they are the ones making it look easy and pushing others with less advantageous body builds to do the same.

Doing a quad takes great force and momentum but the greatest risk is with the landing. While joggers land with 2.5 times, and volleyball and basketball players land with 3 to 4 times, their body weight, a quad jumping skater lands with 7 to 10 times his body weight and has to absorb the impact through a thin blade on hard ice. We all know about injuries due to jogging on pavement. The quad landing can be 10 times riskier.

In explaining The physics behind figure skating’s most difficult jump, the dangers of repetitive landing difficult jumps is brought up:

Scientists worry the obsession with difficult jumps is dangerous. Because skaters will practice jumps dozens of times a day, and always land on the same foot, they’re prone to getting microfractures that can cause major issues later on. And there’s been very little research into how spinning so fast and absorbing so many landings affects the joints.

Studies show up to one in five figure skaters end up with stress fractures each year. And while some coaches are trying to limit how many jumps their skaters do in practice, there’s no way to gauge the damage it’s causing without more, improved research.

Repetitive high impact movements almost always end up with injuries if one is not careful, thus all the different ailments from different sports. Lucinda Ruh, the world's greatest spinners on ice, ended her career and is still suffering, with concussions. I know of someone whose life was ruined with great pain and disability after impressive success in programming business due to overworking the mouse for a couple of years.

Few skaters are in a position to speak up about this issue even as they are pushed into injuring themselves to catch up somewhat to the few top ranking prodigies. Kudos to Chan to voice his concerns, no doubt shared silently by many.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree with the danger of quads on the body....and how one can feel invincible during teenage years and do irreversible damage.
I hope the scoring system will change soon, to give more emphasis to other areas of skating and rebalance the scale a bit.
However, IF Chan had skated a clean LP. IF Javi had skated a clean LP, they both would have been on the podium at worlds and well-rounded skaters/performers like Javi and Patrick are still being rewarded for the well-roundedness. The podium could have been Javi/Yuzu/Patrick. Please skate clean guys!
And I hope we see a more balanced scoring system come of this BEFORE anyone gets seriously injured.

I am ready to hear from Chan haters. But really folks a few years ago it was Chan inflation and now we should be hearing about Chan deflation. Quads are worth so much the scoring system is no longer blalanced so pcs aren't worht as uch compared to quads. It is kind of like gravity what goes up has to come down eventually. I for one am even less enamoured with Hanyu's long programs because he has to focus now on so much the quads. I mean he still does have more inbetween than most but it lose some magic - it is almost unthinkable that there aren't consequences for a heavy focus on more quads. But we on this forum won't agree so what do we expect with the rest of the world? It might take one of our faves to become a quadripilegic before we realize that maybe this isn't the best direction for the sport. I appreciate Boyang, Shoma, Yuzuru and Chen. And great for Yuzuru to think quins are possible or quad axels. People blamed Duhamel and Radford for ruining the beauty of the sport but what about the push for quads - the increase in tech has been far faster and greater in men's than pairs. But unless there is a change in rules I think we will see the quad craze to continue. Maybe there needs tob e a bigger deduction - because the way I see it fully rotate that quad and even with a fall it is still worth a solid triple in value

Last edited by a moderator:

mcq

Record Breaker

Whatever..........

Well, In Chan's defense he did not say that Shoma is not artistic, but the author of the article is the one who made the narration.

However, it is too early to judge what judges actually like or dislike. Since a clean javi still score 5 points over a clean Shoma and 10 points over a clean Boyang in the SP. SO YES, skater like Javi and Patrick is still appreciated, but they need to skate CLEAN if they want to win over competitors with 15-20 points higher BV. If they skate clean and lost to a clean Boyang or Nathan, then maybe we will start talking.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Chan is right to voice concern for skaters' health. He's careful about his own, for now and for his life after the competitive skating career. He will retire soon and will likely survive the tolls quads take on his body better than most, as we know there are elite skaters being injured trying to land their quads, both while learning it and during attempts in practice and in competitions. It is particularly worthy of concerns with growing teenagers doing so many of them day in and day out, even if they are the ones making it look easy and pushing others with less advantageous body builds to do the same.

Doing a quad takes great force and momentum but the greatest risk is with the landing. While joggers land with 2.5 times, and volleyball and basketball players land with 3 to 4 times, their body weight, a quad jumping skater lands with 7 to 10 times his body weight and has to absorb the impact through a thin blade on hard ice. We all know about injuries due to jogging on pavement. The quad landing can be 10 times riskier.

In explaining The physics behind figure skating’s most difficult jump, the dangers of repetitive landing difficult jumps is brought up:

Repetitive high impact movements almost always end up with injuries if one is not careful, thus all the different ailments from different sport. Lucinda Ruh, the world's greatest spinners on ice, ended her career and is still suffering, with concussions. I know of someone whose life was ruined with great pain and disability after impressive success in programming business due to overworking the mouse for a couple of years.

Few skaters are in a position to speak up about this issue even as they are pushed into injuring themselves to catch up somewhat to the few top ranking prodigies. Kudos to Chan to voice his concerns, no doubt shared silently by many.

:agree: