Chan fears for skaters' health/quads | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Chan fears for skaters' health/quads

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
IIRC Javi was also injured in Boston...

Javier was injured in Boston, yes. In fact, the morning of the FS, he left practice early, limping, and was seen with ice strapped to his ankle.

Then he turned out that perfect FS on the ice Patrick was whinging about...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Whinging about?! Is this an Aussie term?

As far as the ice in Boston at 2016 Worlds is concerned, I'm tired of hearing people fight about it, and it was completely unacceptable in condition for especially the Mens Free.
How do I know, I was standing on the other side of the boards from it the whole competition, and it was terrible. Just because some of the men turned out great skates due to their programs being predominately away from that patch of ice, doesn't mean that it didn't affect the men that did, Patrick had a reason to complain and good for him for doing so.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Javier was injured in Boston, yes. In fact, the morning of the FS, he left practice early, limping, and was seen with ice strapped to his ankle.

Then he turned out that perfect FS on the ice Patrick was whinging about...

That was an excellent FS indeed. Just like that of Adam Rippon - he skated brilliantly to end up in the top 6 (not everyone is capable of that)! A wonderful achievement for the American champion that year, and unquestionably the top American skater at those Worlds. Here's hoping he comes back next season and gets that coveted 3rd Olympic spot against Chen/Zhou/Brown/Hochstein/Miner/Johnson/Dolensky/Rabbitt/whoever else down the list. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

You Yanks should remember that English originated in England, not the US of A :p
Whinging (usually spelled whingeing) is BrE slang for complaining. Used a lot in Oz and NZ as well, where they often talk about "yet another whingeing Pom" (Pom = English person)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sai Bon,

many people here are ESL.... it's not because we are Canadians or Americans that we speak English well enough to seize its regional slang.

lappo

Final Flight
What if quads are banned like the backflip? How will that change men's programs. It would mean the top men would have to compete by adding different arm positions, backloading etc... It would mean trying to attain the best GOEs and avoiding falls/deductions at all costs. It would mean concentrating on PCS to try to max it out. It would mean a lot of pretty and interesting triple-triple combinations to get the maximum points. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Sincerely, can't see the point of banning quads, it would be like ladies skating. As much as a danger these quads are and as much as we don't know their long term consequences on skater's body, it's their choice to go for them and they make for an exciting (and wildly impredictable competition). Even though, I would totally agree if they raise PCS and score them properly (i.e. not linked to the TES part), in order to make technically difficult, well rounded programs. Many already are and a similar change could help not to make FS just a jumping contest.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Oh look, Canadian Hanyu-bashing, on goldenskate? What a surprise.
I do like the Javi love going on and I'm sure everybody will be really happy for him when he snatches that Olympic medal from PChan next year.

As for Patrick's opinion, it's understandable. He obviously does not prioritize jumping quads to the other aspects of skating, which unfortunately cost him the OGM. Growing up he could have never guessed that it would all happen so quickly. and that male skating would go down so far the quads route (look at 2010!). But as a fan of gymnastics, I'm not too shocked by short careers and injuries. They're what happen in a sport that's really hard. Yesterday again, the European championships ended on an injury (high bar), in addition to another (uneven bars). It's sport. It's supposed to be risky.

Meoima

Match Penalty
On one hand, I agree with Patrick's comments about technique. Come one, the guy knows about correct technique in take-off and landing. Just look at Patrick's jumps and you see that he understands it very well (well his Axel is another issue though...)
Patrick certainly knows about Shoma's pre-rotation issue, and the way Shoma jerks his landings.
Nathan's landings are titled to the right hips. So it's also kind of worrying if he keeps that habit for long.
I think Patrick does have legitimate reasons to comment about the quads.
He has his ideal thought about what should be considered good technique.

But of course his way of expressing... is not political correct.

On the other hand, I don't believe in a true quint. Unless you pre-rotated 270 degree in the take off and 270 degree on the landing. Which is a joke.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Sai Bon,

many people here are ESL.... it's not because we are Canadians or Americans that we speak English well enough to seize its regional slang.

Of course, 4everchan, but with the Internet these days it's pretty easy to look words up (and one can usually guess from the context). I'm a bilingual native speaker and often come across terms I don't understand. But it's an English-language forum so I will look the word or phrase up - it takes 10 seconds and I learn something.

My point was that "regional slang" depends on your region! Back on topic...

Sam L

Medalist
Oh look, Canadian Hanyu-bashing, on goldenskate? What a surprise.
I do like the Javi love going on and I'm sure everybody will be really happy for him when he snatches that Olympic medal from PChan next year.

As for Patrick's opinion, it's understandable. He obviously does not prioritize jumping quads to the other aspects of skating, which unfortunately cost him the OGM. Growing up he could have never guessed that it would all happen so quickly. and that male skating would go down so far the quads route (look at 2010!). But as a fan of gymnastics, I'm not too shocked by short careers and injuries. They're what happen in a sport that's really hard. Yesterday again, the European championships ended on an injury (high bar), in addition to another (uneven bars). It's sport. It's supposed to be risky.

I see Figure Skating as being much close to Rhythmic Gymnastics than Artistic Gymnastics. The latter is just an athletic sport, there's no art in it. The former has art in it. So we shouldn't be just going for high-risk activities to entertain the crowds. It's about art very much as well.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
IMO if you don't follow Hanyu then maybe you should stop speculating about what he could or couldn't have done, because if you did then you would know that he was completely bedridden right after worlds for weeks because of his injury, and while skating the gala he was aware it could be his very last competition.

He loathes Yuzuru Hanyu. It's completely pointless, literally. Just let it be.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In CSG's defence, I found it particularly irksome in the WTT thread, when right after Hanyu skated his SP the Hanyu fans in there immediately erupted into "omg he must be sick/injured/omg he must be upset/someone must have said something to him right before he skated" and all manner of things. It did not seem to occur to any of those posters that Hanyu might simply have - gasp! - had a bad skate. There had to be some kind of excuse.

beki

Medalist
Are bad skates simple? People are interested in speculating about and analyzing what goes into a performance, what factors lead to good or bad results. Isn't that the point of a figure skating discussion forum? What I find tiring is "Skater X is okay, but their fans are terrible."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You Yanks should remember that English originated in England, not the US of A :p
Whinging (usually spelled whingeing) is BrE slang for complaining. Used a lot in Oz and NZ as well, where they often talk about "yet another whingeing Pom" (Pom = English person)

:agree:
I'm a native speaker of just plain old American English in the US of A, and I know "whingeing" is British slang. Pretty common for the Brits, actually. ;)

"Carry on like a pork chop", however, I only learned from the fine folks (and one in particular) on this forum:biggrin:

:eek:topic: Carry on!

narcissa

Record Breaker
In CSG's defence, I found it particularly irksome in the WTT thread, when right after Hanyu skated his SP the Hanyu fans in there immediately erupted into "omg he must be sick/injured/omg he must be upset/someone must have said something to him right before he skated" and all manner of things. It did not seem to occur to any of those posters that Hanyu might simply have - gasp! - had a bad skate. There had to be some kind of excuse.

Pardon us for being worried when he showed up onto the ice looking lifeless. I'd rather hear that he was just having a bad day than that he had some sort of injury; the very very very last thing we wanted was that type of "excuse." It's not always about results, you know.

If you're talking about the surgery rumor, several fans were skeptical and it was quickly debunked. What more do you want?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm a native speaker of just plain old American English in the US of A, and I know "whingeing" is British slang. Pretty common for the Brits, actually. ;)

"Carry on like a pork chop", however, I only learned from the fine folks (and one in particular) on this forum:biggrin:

I've lived over there and didn't even know the term, so it's not too widespread, but carry on lol!

narcissa

Record Breaker
He still did a flawless 3A, spins, and "earned" 45.89 PCS. Not bad for a lifeless person!

I suppose he regained said life back in the FS' opening 4L, lost it again going into the popped 4S, and then gained it again going into the 3 quads executed in the back half of the program, and lost it again on the final 3A?

And for it not always being about results, some Hanyu fans are rather eager to see his rivals discredited/marked down. :rolleye:

Lol, I can do the same and make sweeping generalizations regarding the predictability of Patrick Chan fans, but I won't stoop to that level.

And yes, Yuzuru can probably land 3A's from the grave. Amazing, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

Good on you, el henry! One I liked (which may be unique to NZ, or to farming folk at least) is one guy's description of our overweight sheep: "He's as fat as butter"!!! (Our sheep were overweight, because my two ponies were on a permanent diet, so the sheep ate the best grass, when it should really be the other way round).