Team competition before individual | Golden Skate

Team competition before individual

reneerose

Final Flight
I read a preliminary schedule somewhere and like at Sochi, I disagree with the placement of the team competition before the individual disciplines competition. Whoever at the ISU determined this should have modeled it after the World Team competitions which happen after the whole season. I think each team would perform much better in a team event after all of the individual competitions were settled and that the individual competitions should take priority over the team competition at the Olympics. Hope that gets changed!

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
hmmm i wonder what the reasoning for that was. I cant find a schedule. I assume it is not out yet.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think they like to end with the big ticket so to speak. The individual titles are more prestigious, so it would probably feel pretty weird to have them after. And imagine winning individual gold and having to refocus on a team event in a couple of days. Not saying I think this is best, but I can see the logic.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics#Calendar

The order is Pretty much always the same (at least for 2006, 2010 and 2014) : Pairs, Men, Ice Dance and finally Ladies.

Team event : 9th, 11th an 12th (Final) of February

Individual event :

Pairs : 14th and 15th

Men : 16th and 17th

Ice Dance : 19th and 20th

Ladies : 21st and 23rd

Exhibition Gala : 25th

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
Looks like every get some rest time. With ladies getting the most, it ironically I think pairs and men could use the most rest time, but pairs get the least, I think the battle for Team gold is between Canada and Russia and USA bronze,

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Are team events order corresponding to individual events? So that every discipline participants have same time to rest between individual event? (I can't remember how it was in Sochi)

If not, I'm guessing best Pairs teams will try to split SP and FP between two couples to not tire them out (with exception of US, because only one has qualified...).

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are team events order corresponding to individual events? So that every discipline participants have same time to rest between individual event? (I can't remember how it was in Sochi)

If not, I'm guessing best Pairs teams will try to split SP and FP between two couples to not tire them out (with exception of US, because only one has qualified...).

Even if it's the same order, that doesn't mean they have the same amount of time to rest. The team event is on the 9th, 11th and 12th. Then pairs is the 14th-15th, men's is the 16th-17th, dance is the 19th-20th, and ladies is the 21st and 23rd. So even if pairs and men's finish on the 11th, and ladies and dance on the 12th, that would be 2 days rest for pairs, 4 for the men, 6 for dance, and 8 for ladies.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Even if it's the same order, that doesn't mean they have the same amount of time to rest. The team event is on the 9th, 11th and 12th. Then pairs is the 14th-15th, men's is the 16th-17th, dance is the 19th-20th, and ladies is the 21st and 23rd. So even if pairs and men's finish on the 11th, and ladies and dance on the 12th, that would be 2 days rest for pairs, 4 for the men, 6 for dance, and 8 for ladies.

Ah, true. Why they can't have all SP first and then FSs?.... Ladies are not only last, but also a day of rest, it's highly unfair for Pairs discipline...

eta

Medalist
For the fans who attend, do they just stay in S. Korea the whole time...? I'm trying to work this out, if I want to see the men (16th and 17th) as well as the gala (25th), I'll have to fly back to US in between due to my schedule but that would be too expensive...

knorrngonngon

Rinkside
Yeah I intend to stay in Korea during this time. I'm planning to watch the men's event too, and then I'll travel to Seoul and stay there for a few days before heading back to Gangneung for the gala.

Nika09

On the Ice
Totally agree and will keep saying that this is very unfair to the Pairs. Seems they don't even notice that there are also ladies competing in Pairs discipline. Ladies with multiple injuries and difficult elements to do. İt will be particularly hard for Pairs who is gonna compete in LP of Team event. China and Russia for example have 2-3 couples as candidates for OM beforehand and one of them should do LP twice in 4 days. How is that fair?

BTW who and how is choosing which one will do either SP or LP in Team event?

In that term Japanese favorite men will be in similar position. Men's, with all it quads, is not easy discipline either.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you guys think that South Korea will have a team for the team event?

I think so. There are ten countries in the team event. Currently Canada, Russia, the US, France and China have spots in all four disciplines, so they'll all be in. Germany and Italy both have 3 spots, so they can use the additional athletes quota if they don't qualify someone at Nebelhorn, so they'll be in too. That leaves 3 countries.

Japan, Spain, Latvia, Kazakhstan and Isreal all have spots in two disciplines, so they'd need to qualify at least one more at Nebelhorn. Japan has a chance at qualifying both pairs and dance. Spain and Isreal didn't even have a pairs team or lady at Worlds, and they are unlikely get a spot in a third discipline. The same is true of Kazakhstan for dance and pairs, and Latvia had to pairs team and their dance team is unlikely to qualify. So if Japan makes the team event (which I think they will), that leaves two spots, and I think of couple of the countries with only one discipline so far are more likely to fill the final two spots than the other countries with two disciplines.

Australia has currently qualified a spot in mens and they have a decent shot at spots in both pairs and ladies. South Korea has a good shot in men's and dance. The Czech Republic has a good shot in pairs and a shot in dance. I think SK will get the men's spot for sure unless Cha is injured and they have a really good shot in dance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you guys think that South Korea will have a team for the team event?

Do they get a host spot? Maybe not... I don't know the rules.

But an interesting twist - what if the North and South Korea have a unified team? There's been some talk While I'm no fan of he North Korean regime - it's not he athletes' fault, and I hope they are allowed to compete. I can't imagine North Korea will send a team as a "visitor" in South Korea, so I suspect if they go, it will be part of a Unified "co-host" team.

But, back to the point. Didn't the North Koreans have a good pair team that qualified at World's?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do they get a host spot? Maybe not... I don't know the rules.

But an interesting twist - what if the North and South Korea have a unified team? There's been some talk While I'm no fan of he North Korean regime - it's not he athletes' fault, and I hope they are allowed to compete. I can't imagine North Korea will send a team as a "visitor" in South Korea, so I suspect if they go, it will be part of a Unified "co-host" team.

But, back to the point. Didn't the North Koreans have a good pair team that qualified at World's?

The didn't qualify at Worlds actually, but they were very close. The top 13 qualified (due to multiple spots, etc) and they were 15th, so they've got a good shot at getting a spot at Nebelhorn. They are currently training in Montreal (From Meagan Duhamel's Instagram: Pt1, Pt2 & Pt3) and are scheduled to compete in the Quebec Summer Championship.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Never in a million years going to happen. Not with this political climate. Anyone who pays attention to even half the news for more than two seconds could tell you that.

Funny how you guys are complaining about Team Event scheduled before Individual, but not about the fact that the competitions are going to be starting unreasonably early in the morning just to pander to the precious NBC audience...and the NBC will have the hide to demand they start that early, but won't show the skaters who have to skate the earliest!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never in a million years going to happen. Not with this political climate. Anyone who pays attention to even half the news for more than two seconds could tell you that.

Funny how you guys are complaining about Team Event scheduled before Individual, but not about the fact that the competitions are going to be starting unreasonably early in the morning just to pander to the precious NBC audience...and the NBC will have the hide to demand they start that early, but won't show the skaters who have to skate the earliest!

Well, I agree that it is unlikely, but it's not impossible. The IOC has made some overtures, and the South Korean government has reached out with a co-host proposal, and discussions of a joint women's hockey team. Here's an article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...korea-host-some-winter-olympics-skiing-events

Who knows what the North Koreans will do? If they get to claim "host" while the South Koreans do all the work and pay all the bills... why not?

I agree that he start times are ridiculous. I'm not sure if you were directing the other comment to me, but I've never griped about the team competition or it's timing within the competition. I thought it was a great success in Sochi, and I think the skaters like another chance at a medal.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Well, I agree that it is unlikely, but it's not impossible. The IOC has made some overtures, and the South Korean government has reached out with a co-host proposal, and discussions of a joint women's hockey team. Here's an article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...korea-host-some-winter-olympics-skiing-events
Political posturing. As Karne said, such things are never going to happen in reality.

Apart from anything - When the Olympics are awarded to a country, they take into account facilities, transport, infrastructure, logistics, security, media, etc etc. Could all of those things be guaranteed to meet required standards in N. Korea? Do all of them even exist as we (and the teams/athletes) know them?

Chosen host country can't simply say with 9 months to go - "oh, how about we get some other country to co-host the games?!" That other country has not been "vetted", and co-hosting would be a radical and serious departure from their original bid proposal.

The Olympic committee made their decisions based on each country's proposals. Co-hosting was not part of S. Korea's original proposal, and if it had been - they might never have been chosen in the first place. Adding co-hosting later would be like a bait-and-switch scam. A fraud. And a slap in the face for other countries who originally made bids to host.

Mind you. I imagine S. Korea would love it, if it were actually possible. Japan and USA, and possibly others, would likely boycott the games... thereby considerably improving S. Korea's chances of getting their athletes onto certain podiums...

Skategmt

On the Ice
Where could I find a schedule with the times the skating events will take place? I have the days marked already but don't know the start times.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Where could I find a schedule with the times the skating events will take place? I have the days marked already but don't know the start times.
I found the time schedules for each day on the cosport.com ticket site.
There's a page titled "PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games Need to Know".
Click the tab labelled "Competition schedule".
It should show the times of the competitions, on each day.
(It shows every sport, so you have to hunt for the "FSK" figure skating events).

I used it to make the table below, for my own purposes:
(times converted from Korean to UK time!)

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 02:00am-05:25am, Team Day 1: Mens SP, Pairs SP
Sun 11 Feb 2018, 02:00am-06:35am, Team Day 2: Ice dance SD, Ladies SP, Pairs FP
Mon 12 Feb 2018, 02:00am-05:10am, Team Day 3: Mens FS, Ladies FS, Ice Dance FD

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 02:00am-05:25am, Pairs SP
Thu 15 Feb 2018, 02:00am-05:45am, Pairs FS

Fri 16 Feb 2018, 02:00am-06:30am, Mens SP
Sat 17 Feb 2018, 02:00am-06:25am, Mens FS

Mon 19 Feb 2018, 02:00am-05:45am, Ice Dance SD
Tue 20 Feb 2018, 02:00am-05:35am, Ice Dance Free Dance

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 02:00am-06:30am, Ladies SP
Fri 23 Feb 2018, 02:00am-06:10am, Ladies FS

Sun 25 Feb 2018, 01:30am-04:00am, Gala

Yeah, the timings suck for UK :-/

(My timings might be an hour out by February, because no DST in Korea... But they will still be bad here...)