2017-2018 Team China update | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Team China update

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good thing Boyang has a Senior B this season to get the rust out. It's hard judge the quality of the program when there are so many falls. I think he fell on every single quad and 3A attempt.

I was trying to go back and read previous comments on Boyang after seeing his FS with so many falls. I was getting alarmed thinking that possibly he was injured, but I don't see anything to indicate that he is injured. Did I miss something? Maybe just getting used to his new choreography? Also he seems bigger to me -- taller? more muscle mass?

lappo

Final Flight
I long waited for someone to skate to Cantina, Boyangman will get much love from me! :yahoo:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I was trying to go back and read previous comments on Boyang after seeing his FS with so many falls. I was getting alarmed thinking that possibly he was injured, but I don't see anything to indicate that he is injured. Did I miss something?

He was a complete mess at the beginning of last season too. (Missed every jump in the short at SA, and I believe lost to Han Yan early on the year before as well). I think don't read too much into it. The guys are trying a ridiculous number of ridiculously hard jumps this season. They try & stick them into new programs and ka boom! I'm all geared up to see it happen throughout the pre-GP Challenger Series at the very least. Maybe not six falls. But seeing as Boyang survived the process last season & came out of it with another World medal, there's no reason to think he can't do it again.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He was a complete mess at the beginning of last season too. (Missed every jump in the short at SA, and I believe lost to Han Yan early on the year before as well). I think don't read too much into it. The guys are trying a ridiculous number of ridiculously hard jumps this season. They try & stick them into new programs and ka boom! I'm all geared up to see it happen throughout the Challenger Series at the very least. Maybe not six falls. But seeing as Boyang survived the process last season & came out of it with another World medal, there's no reason to think he can't do it again.

Thx for that reminder about last year. As a matter of fact, I went to his practices, SP, and FS at Sk Amer last season. I remember at first we thought at the practices maybe he was jet lagged and/or injured. Hopefully he's still just growing into his new choreography and program.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sui/Han's programs are a disappointment, especially the long program. It needs to be changed, the music cut is all wrong. They shouldn't use vocals for starters, just pure instrumental - an Italian guy wailing is very out of place for their style.

Eclair

Medalist
Don't like the their program either. Look very very boring. Understandable if both of their goals is to skate clean and nothing more.

well I actually like both their programs ... I think we just saw very little of it because of the jumping mistakes and falls ...

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
So I watched S/H's Turandot LP, and I have to say... this is some uninspired choreography. Sure it had mistakes, but it was simply uninspiring when compared to S/Z's rendition. This program will definitely put S/H as #2 after S/M should S/M's programs be as exciting as their fans make it out to be. Why not try something that is NOT a warhorse? Junior pair G/X's new programs for JGP is quite frankly very well done, and I especially love their new Turning Page LP. It literally sets them a class apart from the rest of the junior competition. There needs to be something of that sort of impact - either use S/Z's music cuts, or use last year's LP, or come up with something completely new, but keeping the program as it is will certainly set them back.

Also, these are quite some terrible costume choices. Every guy is wearing black! Hopefully these are temporary and will be replaced by the time GPs roll around.

Nika09

On the Ice
Yeah, this training-outfit like costumes with just different prints for Han are awful. I really like the ones from previous season though.

And why on earth they replaced their usual lift with another with lesser level in SP? It will cost them 2-3 points I guess. So what is the point?

Again, I really hope it's just debut and all of this will be different starting with GP's.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yeah, this training-outfit like costumes with just different prints for Han are awful. I really like the ones from previous season though.

And why on earth they replaced their usual lift with another with lesser level in SP? It will cost them 2-3 points I guess. So what is the point?

Again, I really hope it's just debut and all of this will be different starting with GP's.

i dont think they intentionally put lesser level lift, they probably missed one of the features thats why got level 3

TMC

Record Breaker
So I watched S/H's Turandot LP, and I have to say... this is some uninspired choreography. Sure it had mistakes, but it was simply uninspiring when compared to S/Z's rendition. This program will definitely put S/H as #2 after S/M should S/M's programs be as exciting as their fans make it out to be. Why not try something that is NOT a warhorse? Junior pair G/X's new programs for JGP is quite frankly very well done, and I especially love their new Turning Page LP. It literally sets them a class apart from the rest of the junior competition. There needs to be something of that sort of impact - either use S/Z's music cuts, or use last year's LP, or come up with something completely new, but keeping the program as it is will certainly set them back.

Also, these are quite some terrible costume choices. Every guy is wearing black! Hopefully these are temporary and will be replaced by the time GPs roll around.

What are G/X's full names? I'd like to see this programme :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hate to be a debbie downer but I'm also disappointed in s/h's lp. I think they'll still win as long as they're cleaner/technically superior to the other pairs but i hate the k.d. lang version of hallelujah(to be fair, the choreo itself is great), and skating to turandot wouldn't have been so bad if the music cuts and choreo, as of now, weren't so mediocre. Hope lori will work on it more if this is what they're sticking to.

i am not worried; it is early and when the skate clean the marks will jump. S/H are still the faves and defending world champs. Give them time to clean up and work their magic. I would have preferred not to have both S/H and Patrick Chanuse Hallelujah though. Mind you I guess one can argue S/H are contenders anda t best patrick is a pretender? Depending on your perspective.

s_parks

Record Breaker
i am not worried; it is early and when the skate clean the marks will jump. S/H are still the faves and defending world champs. Give them time to clean up and work their magic. I would have preferred not to have both S/H and Patrick Chanuse Hallelujah though. Mind you I guess one can argue S/H are contenders anda t best patrick is a pretender? Depending on your perspective.

Nah, I'm not worried about their shape at this point; like you said and my original post, it's early and they'll get the points if clean esp. with their world champ status. just wish the music cuts are changed. Don't mind/doesn't matter that patrick and s/h are both using hallelujah. Different discipline.

yqs100

On the Ice
Just saw a HD version of S/H's programs. actually the short program is quite nice, very different feel from Patrick's. and the smooth skating skills plus the connection between sui and han gives warm and aromatic feel.

The LP - most of the athletes had big mistakes in that event, heard the venue was quite cold and the ice was not very good. probably that's the reason. Regarding the music cut, I do hope Lori can re-touch it a bit. the first half is excellent, just the second part is a bit......over the top... OR it was that the mistakes messed up the whole feel. Honestly, I'm not worried about them too much...

Peng/ Jin's LP... oh dear - I miss Lulu,,,, the best version of butterfly lovers ever - 1998 olympics LP

Yu/ Zhang ... Love the SP, love the classic piece when everyone goes vocal. LP suits them well too.. Overall, I think Y/Z's programs are slightly better.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
Thanks! Hoping somebody can share a link at some point. Do they have a JGP?

Gao/Xie- I haven't seen links for their new programs. Can anyone share, if any?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzAxNjE5MjY5Mg==.html

It's a sappy pop song, and G/X are still unpolished and somewhat slow on ice, but IMO the music choice alone is already far above the rest of the juniors and it provides a great vehicle that can be built upon. As for S/H, I think the root problem are their music cuts, which are atrocious. Not much can be done if your music is not good. I'm also trying to have faith in S/H since it's so early in the season, but it would be a shame to see them suffer a setback after a fantastic two seasons.

(Unfortunately rather than working on jumps it seems like G/X regressed because Gao grew so much :slink: )