2017-2018 Team China update | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Team China update

Barb

Record Breaker
Vast majority of top Ladies and also Men's have announced their programs already, so actually I don't see any point to keep it in secret. I mean why and till what? Especially considering they mostly are warhorses...
Also I don't see any point in replacing charming, capturing and just twice skated program with another cliche. Such a disappointment from S/H SP indeed, from whom I'd have biggest expectations. But my bad I guess... This season is really going to be unpredictable.

I'm disappointed too :eek:hwell:, but if that program does not work, they can go back to the previous one.

yqs100

On the Ice
No idea where the disappointment from. For those haven't seen the program yet. Hallelujah has thousand versions of cover. And from the fans report, it is absolutely a master piece. Lots details and demonstrate better and smoother skating skills of the skaters. And the emotion in the program is enormous.

Still remember last year when the blues was released there were lots negative comments too.. but the result tells itself. It's another great work from Lori

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am a little concerned about Crouching Tiger for Boyang, not because of the movie theme, but because the Chinese dance team Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU skated to it 2015-2016 and it was not received well. Their results were better in the previous season and the season after, hence I blame their music, and the incorporation of quite a lot of authentic Chinese martial arts movement. Hope Boyang has a good music cut and strategic choreography.

I don't get the point of keeping music a secret either. Was the audience told that they should not "leak" any info before they went to the test skate?
Did Zijun or Xiangning show up at the skate?

Eclair

Medalist
I am a little concerned about Crouching Tiger for Boyang, not because of the movie theme, but because the Chinese dance team Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU skated to it 2015-2016 and it was not received well. Their results were better in the previous season and the season after, hence I blame their music, and the incorporation of quite a lot of authentic Chinese martial arts movement. Hope Boyang has a good music cut and strategic choreography.

I don't get the point of keeping music a secret either. Was the audience told that they should not "leak" any info before they went to the test skate?
Did Zijun or Xiangning show up at the skate?

Both showed up, as well as Ziquan Zhao. I found some 'official photos' of all skaters here: http://www.sportsphoto.cn/index/imglist.html?group_id=74658&page=2

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
No idea where the disappointment from. For those haven't seen the program yet. Hallelujah has thousand versions of cover.

I can only speak for myself, but my issue isn't with the program but the song. I dislike it, all versions I've heard of it. Not much I can do about it. :confused2:

Nika09

On the Ice
IMO Hallelujah is still Hallelujah no matter whichever version you are skating with. It's slow, lyrical and warhorse! Considering only this season there're 3 programs with same musical theme already (if I'm not missing any). Sure they will do great job because it's Sui/Han after all, but truth is you can't buy anyone with Hallelujah as SP.

I'm disappointed too :eek:hwell:, but if that program does not work, they can go back to the previous one.

I hope they will, even though obviously there has been done huge job with new choreography.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Chinese fans are guessing S/H's free maybe the music of that iconic piece of S/Z. Not much info leaked from today's open skate.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Chinese fans are very impressed by P/J's free. the condition of Chinese pairs and Boyang are great. for ladies, impressed by Zijun's choreo, but she seems still lacks stamina in the second half. Xingning showed better condition and almost clean.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
OMG, that piece?!!! I hope no.

just guessing...
no leak at all regarding music choice today on Chinese social media.
Just some report regarding skaters' condition and reception of programs. S/H's FS music is just some guessing/speculation I saw from Chinese figure skating community social media.
about Boyang's choreo, Chinese fans are excited about his SP, but disappointed about FP's choreo.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Han only showed up for SP, skate to last season SP, his shoulder surgery is almost healed, still some issue with muscle therefore cannot do quad jump and spin yet, did 3A and 3LZ. He may has brand new program for SP.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Chinese fans have very high hope for P/J due to the great programs they showed at this open skate, a little worried about Y/Z.

Eclair

Medalist
Translations of the interviews of yesterday's short program skate:

Zijun: I feel, if you look at the time and date, then this season I may really be more prepared earlier, than in seasons before. Right now, I'm already able to perform my program, while before, at this time of the year I may only just have started my training and were not there physically yet. Therefore I'd say, the short program went well (or will go well?), for the long program there'll probably still be a few troubles, but all in all this seasons condition I'd say is a little better than last season.

Han: Right now, considering the program, we're at around 70%. Because there're still a lot of details and fine-tuning not yet resolved. This time performing, we also wanted to resolve those problems quickly.

Sui: We're still at a process, still taking step by step with our coaches. Uhh, we still have room to grow.

Yu: Yesterday I felt uh really bad, too bad (laughing). Even though physically we may have been doing great in training, maybe it's because the new programs are very difficult, so much new things were added, so when the time for performing it came, I may have been a little hesitant.
(she seems to be in good spirit during the interview though)

Zhang: The important thing is to put everything together, that everything clicks together, so that in upcoming competitions we can do better.

Boyang: (Says something I didn't understand). When the music slows down, I get immersed (?) into the music more. All in all, both technically, as well as artistically, I will get more comfortable.

Han Yan: the triples are good and my bones have healt. The remaining problem is my back, since I've been holding my arm/ shoulder in this one position the whole time (I think he's referring to the flexibility of his back). That's the only trouble remaining, the bone are actually no problem (laughs). There are four nails that hold it in place.

There are also some gifs (but I don't know the broadcast) I found of Yang Jin and Peng joking around. Yang put a jacket over Peng's shoulders when they were standing there, but she laughed and said: Don't pretend, I'm not cold.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
a little more info about zijun besides Eclair's translation
zijun has some injury at hip/inner thigh area, her condition was good before, but just a few days before this open skate, she had this injury, she wanted to try her best in this open skate, however, her injury got worse since start. She cannot performance some spins due to this injury, also is the reason why she skipped some choreo towards the end.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
what boyang said in that interview roughly is that his previous SP are fast tempo, all he can think about is just jump, focused on jump, this time is slower, he felt comfortable about rhythm, can integrate jump, transition into music.
I think Boyang's SP music has already been leaked on this board, so it is kinda okay for me to talk a little about his opening choreo, in the CCTV interview video, you can watch a little of the opening choreo(I assume) of Boyang's Sp, it is actually a move from that movie, how the Kungfu master teach/demonstrate to his pupil how to maneuver a sword properly, it is quite amazing.

also, according to Chinese fans, Zijun's SS is visibly faster, smoother and better than Xiangning and Ziquan.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

yyyskate

Record Breaker
So I discovered that Xiangning Li's new programs are already on her wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Xiangning

Did she skate here? Her programs are allowed to be "leaked", because she is still considered a B team member hence no need to be "protected?":confused:

actually, zijun's program music has also been known for quite sometime, it is even published on the first page of this thread long time ago.

Chinese Fed emphasized specially donot leak Pair's and Boyang's music.

Also, Xiangning is training together with Zijun and Ziquan, in the same ice rink under the same coaching team right now, there is no special treatment for anyone.
She also get choreo from David Wilson, and according to Fan's who watched open skate, her program's music editing is the best, has the most naturally smooth transition between music pieces.
They actually has some opinions regarding music editing of many Lori's programs showed on this open skate.