2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Kelsey Wong scored 60.43 with clean short at the Golden West competition on Saturday. That's a higher SP score than others who have had international assignments confirmed and a score achieved outside of Canada. Impressive!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Junior Grand Prix #6
Oct. 4-7
Gdansk, Poland
Ladies
Aurora Cotop
Men
Conrad Orzel
Pair
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Chloe Panetta / Steven Lapointe
Ice Dance
Seungyun Han / Grayson Lochhead
Olivia McIsaac / Elliott Graham

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Canadian entries for Finlandia Trophy
Gabrielle Daleman
Kevin Reynolds
Roman Sadovsky
Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch
Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canadian entries for Finlandia Trophy
Gabrielle Daleman
Kevin Reynolds
Roman Sadovsky
Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch
Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus

Glad to see a few things confirmed here

Gabby and Kevin are doing a challenger
Roman is given one too.

We knew Lubov and Dylan would get something so that's great ;)

but something I am very pleased to see is that Skate Canada has given Soucisse /Firus a second Series B event which I think is something that was lacking often in the past with team that will most likely not get to the big events... though mind you, with retirements or hiatus coming after the Olympics, it is quite possible that the number 4 dance team in Canada will get to worlds this year.

ETA : let's not forget that teams can earn ranking points in the challengers... and for a team hoping to make up some ground to catch up with the top 25 in the world like S/F, having 2 challengers is a must!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In Men's, the top 9 skaters from Nationals all have one Challenger Series assignment:

- Patrick Chan (Nebelhorn)
- Kevin Reynolds (Finlandia)
- Roman Sadovsky (Finlandia)
- Nicolas Nadeau (Nepela)
- Nam Nguyen (Autumn Classic)
- Keegan Messing (Autumn Classic)
- Elladj Balde (Autumn Classic)
- Liam Firus (US Classic)
- Bennet Toman (US Classic)

Patrick and Kevin each also have two GP assignments and Nam and Keegan have one, with the Skate Canada TBD spot left (hopefully Nic). The Challenger series events without entries out yet are Minsk-Arena Ice Star (new to the series), Warsaw Cup, Tallin Trophy, and Golden Spin of Zagreb. Last season, Canada didn't send anyone to Lombardia (like this season), Warsaw or Tallin Trophy. They did send skaters to Golden Spin. So hopefully we'll see a couple of the guys on that list who don't have GP assignments get a second challenger (especially Roman and Nic if he doesn't get Skate Canada).

For the Junior Men, of the Next Gen men (not including Stephen), three have at least one JGP assignment. There are also three junior men listed for Autumn Classic, including one who is not on the Next Gen list:

- Joseph Phan (JGP Brisbane, Croatia)
- Conrad Orzel (JGP Austria, Poland)
- Corey Circelli (JGP Latvia)
- Ilia Kovler (Sub, Autumn Classic Jr.)
- Eric Liu (Sub, Autumn Classic Jr.)
- Beresford Louise Clements (Autumn Classic Jr.) *
- Samuel Turcotte (Sub)

With Conrad and Joseph getting two JGP spots and Corey getting one, that leaves one more spot. I'd guess that would go to one of the guys who've been on the substitute lists (Eric, Ilia, Samuel). Since Ilia and Eric have Autumn Classic, but Samuel doesn't have anything yet, I wonder if that indicates they're planning on giving him the last JGP spot. On the other hand, I just looked up the NSS rankings for junior men, and Samuel is only 9th, so maybe not. The order is Joseph, Eric, Conrad, Corey, Ilia, Beresford Clements, Gabriel St-Jean, Matthew Markell, then Samuel. Based on that, I'd say Eric Liu would be the most likely for the final JGP spot, but if Ilia looks better at Autumn Classic it could be him.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For the women, the National team all have one assignment, as do the top two finishers from the National series who aren't on the team:

- Kaetlyn Osmond (CS Autumn Classic)
- Alaine Chartrand (CS Autumn Classic)
- Gabrielle Daleman (CS Finlandia)
- Larkyn Austman (CS Nepela)
- Sarah Tamura (CS Autumn Classic)
- Michelle Long (CS US Classic)
- Alicia Pineault (CS US Classic)

Kim Decelles, Megan Yim and Emy Decelles are the women who were top ten at Nats without assignments yet. Kim didn't compete in the NSS, Megan finished 10th and Emy finished 15th, so no assignments makes sense for them. Kelsey Wong (6), Amanda Tobin (7) and Kim Deguise Léveillée (9) are the top women from the NSS without assignments. Like i said in the men's post, Canada didn't send anyone to Warsaw last season, but it's on the Assignments page this year, so hopefully Kelsey and Amanda at least get assignments there or at Golden Spin. Also, I'd like to see the younger women (Sarah and Alicia) get another assignment if their first ones go okay.

For the junior women, three members of the Next Gen team have JGP assignments so far, and three other women have assignments for junior Autumn Classic (only one is a Next Gen member):

- Aurora Cotop (JGP Brisbane, Poland)
- Alison Schumacher (JGP Latvia)
- Emily Bausback (JGP Croatia)
- Lissa Anne McGaghey (Sub, Autumn Classic Jr.)
- Emma Bulawka (Sub, Autumn Classic Jr.) *
- Hannah Dawson (Sub, Autumn Classic Jr.) *
- Olivia Gran (Sub)

There is one JGP spot left and it's possible Alison will get it if her first one goes okay, especially since she ranked first in the NSS. The only girl in the top six of the NSS ranking without an assignment so far is Evelyn Walsh and she's doing pairs on the JGP. Lissa Anne, Emma and Hannah all did well on the NSS, so their assignments make sense, even though Emma and Hannah aren't on the Next Gen team. Olivia Gran didn't compete on the NSS, so I'd bet that if Alison doesn't get a second spot, it'll be one of the girls assigned to Autumn Classic (or Emily). Lissa Anne did the bets on the NSS of them.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For Pairs, all of the National team members have a Challenger assignment except Jones/Reagan, who withdrew from their summer events for unknown reasons (injury, split ??). The 6th place team from Nationals (Kolodziej/Deschamps) also have an assignment, as do the 1st ranked NSS team (Purich/Portz).

Pairs
- Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford (CS Autumn Classic)
- Julianne Séguin / Charlie Bilodeau (CS Autumn Classic)
- Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch (CS Finlandia)
- Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro (CS US Classic)
- Camille Ruest / Drew Wolfe (CS Nebelhorn)
- Sydney Kolodziej / Maxime Deschamps (CS US Classic)
- Natasha Purich / Davin Portz (CS Nepela)

Assuming Ruest/Wolfe get the Skate Canada TBD, I'd like to see them maybe go to Golden Spin (unless they get picked from the Sub list and end up with 2 GPs) or even Warsaw (though it's a bit close to Skate Canada), so they end up with 2 Challenger events like Soucisse/Firus in dance have. Hopefully if Jones/Reagan are injured right now, they'll be able to go to a late Challenger as well.

For the juniors, all three Next Gen teams ended up with 2 JGP assignments, as did new team Choinard/Ostiguy. The Boys-Eddy siblings and Levesque/Hudon both got 1, and two spots were not used:

- Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud (JGP Latvia, Croatia)
- Chloe Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy (JGP Latvia, Croatia)
- Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland (JGP Belarus, Poland)
- Chloe Panetta / Steven Lapointe (JGP Belarus, Poland)
- Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy (JGP Croatia)
- Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon (JGP Poland)

Alison Eby / Matthew den Boer had a higher score than Choinard/Ostiguy in the NSS, but at 122.62 for E/dB vs 121.22 for C/O, it was very close. The other teams with higher scores than C/O all got at least one assignment.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Next Gen selection criteria for pairs are a good guide for what Skate Canada is looking at:

Two years junior eligibility or less
- Total score 145
- GOE -1.9 or higher in the free
- Double Axel
- Achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist, 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump, 1 additional throw jump

Three years junior eligibility or more
- Total score 127
- GOE -1.9 or higher in the free
- Double Axel
- Achieve 2 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist, 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump, 1 additional throw jump

Leaving aside the Next Gen members, we have:
- Choinard/Ostiguy (last year of eligibility): top score 121.22, throw 3Lo (fall, then low GOE), throw 3S (fall), 3T combo, double axel (fall) (missing score, GOE, triple twist, iffy throws, iffy 2A)
- Boys-Eddy/Boys-Eddy (three years inc. this one): top score 133.14, triple twist, throw 2Lo, throw 3S, throw 2Lz, high enough GOE (only missing 2A and triple jump)
- Levesque/Hudon: top score 109.36, triple twist, throw 3Lo (fall, fall, fall), throw 3S (fall, then low GOE), double axel (missing total score, GOE, triple jump, throws iffy)
- Eby/den Boer: top score 122.62, triple twist, throw 2Lo, throw 3S (fall), double axel (missing GOE, total score, triple jump, iffy triple throw)

I'd guess that C/O have looked good in monitoring, since they got 2 assignments before they'd competed together. Looking at the criteria, it makes sense that the Boys-Eddy siblings got an assignment. L/H must also have looked good in monitoring to get a spot over E/dB.

ETA: I had McCaw/Adock in here, but as Mango pointed out, he's aged out of junior, so I removed them.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For dance, the National team all have at least one Challenger assignment (Soucisse/Firus have two). No teams other teams have assignments.

- Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir (CS Autumn Classic)
- Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje (CS Autumn Classic)
- Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (CS Autumn Classic)
- Carolanne Soucisse / Shane Firus (CS US Classic, Finlandia)
- Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker (CS Nebelhorn)

Sarah Arnold / Thomas Williams and Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs had decent summer scores, so maybe we'll see them get something later.

For juniors, the strategy seems to be to get as many teams as possible out there. All the Next Gen teams have at least one (Lajoie/Lagha and Stairs/Royer have two), and three other teams also have an assignment, with two JGP spots left:

- Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha (JGP Brisbane, Croatia)
- Ashlynne Stairs/Lee Royer (JGP Austria, Belarus)
- Natalie D’Alessandro / Bruce Waddell (JGP Brisbane)
- Irina Galiyanova/Tommy Tang (JGP Austria)
- Alicia Fabbri / Claudio Pietrantonio (JGP Latvia)
- Valerie Taillefer / Jason Chan (JGP Latvia) *
- Nina Mizuki / Veniamins Volskis (JGP Belarus)
- Ellie Fisher / Simon-Pierre Malette-Paque (JGP Croatia) *
- Seungyun (Olivia) Han / Grayson Lochhead (JGP Poland)
- Olivia McIsaac / Elliott Graham (JGP Poland) *

The three non Next Gen teams all did well on the summer series. I'm not sure if the last two spots will go to other teams, or the two who perform the best out of the teams with one currently. I wouldn't mind seeing Natalie and Bruce again. Keelee Gingrich / Parker Brown and Jade McCue / Gabriel Clemente are the higher teams on the NSS ranking without an assignment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
SnowWhite : you rock!!!! I am going to remember page 54 as this info is very precious ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Steven Adcock is no longer eligible for junior competitions. He's 22.

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks :) I'm trying to take advantage of the last couple of days before classes start.

Fantastic analysis! :thank:

One thing....are there still JPG slots unassigned that Skate Canada can submit entries for, even if the preliminary lists are in?

I recall that, a few years back, some of the final slots for ice dance were determined on performance in the teams' first outings....

Do the national federations still have that flexibility, or was the August 18th deadline it?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Fantastic analysis! :thank:

One thing....are there still JPG slots unassigned that Skate Canada can submit entries for, even if the preliminary lists are in?

I recall that, a few years back, some of the final slots for ice dance were determined on performance in the teams' first outings....

Do the national federations still have that flexibility, or was the August 18th deadline it?

My understanding from what other posters have said is that the different JGPs have different deadlines. I think August 18th was the deadline for countries to say how many of their spots they were going to use. But that's also one reason countries name several substitutes; they can use the original entries just as place holders. For example, Anastasia Gubanova of Russia was listed for a second JGP before she'd competed at her first one. She ended up falling twice in each program and lots of people think they'll switch her out with one of the listed subs.

TGee

Record Breaker
Skate Canada's news release as the Canadian team heads to Latvia for the JPG Riga....

https://skatecanada.ca/2017/09/isu-junior-grand-prix-circuit-continues-as-canadians-head-to-latvia/

Anyone else excited to see Canadians in all four disciplines at this event? :hap57:

And in in case anyone isn't aware, I'd like to draw special attention to Canada's two skaters in singles, Corey Circelli in Junior Men and Alison Schumacher in Junior Ladies.....Both are two event skaters at the Juniors level domestically: Corey in ice dance, Alison in pairs.

Evelyn Walsh, who will compete in Riga in Junior pairs with partner Trent Michaud, is also a two event skater. As SnowWhite noted, she's placed highly enough in the national summer series that she could be considered for a JPG berth in singles...

Is there another federation with so many JPG competitors that train and compete in a second discipline? I'm getting the feeling this may be a Canadian thing....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The answer would be no, TGee. They focus on one and have major success in that one discipline.

TGee

Record Breaker
The answer would be no, TGee. They focus on one and have major success in that one discipline.

Uhm...

I think my addendum confused things....:laugh:

I meant, is anyone else excited to see skaters representing Canada in each discipline at this JPG....

After all, it would be difficult to compete in both ladies and mens at the same time....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Congrats to Walsh & Michaud for winning the bronze medal at the JGP in Riga, Latvia today. They won the FS but were a bit behind after the short and had to play catch up, but a great result. Choinard & Ostiguy had to deal with music problems in the free, still they moved up finishing 7th overall. Well done to both couples!

Another great program from Lance Vipond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5qXg5cDUw