2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

TGee

Record Breaker
Anyone else feeling a bit 'glass half empty' :disapp: about the lack of accessible livestream for the US FS International Classic....?

It's great to hear that there were two medals for Canada, and watch the replays, but I really miss being able to watch, cheer and critique in real time.

I get that the US rights are sold to the Ice Network, but don't get that this means no stream outside the US except for a [dubious?] sports streaming network with a .kz address. :dev2: [ I know that Ice Network does sell service to Canada, but most of everything one would be willing to pay for is excluded from their Canadian service.]

I've been wondering why CBC isn't paying for the additional rights from Ice Network to stream this event to Canadian IP addresses. CBC has clearly been contracting with Ice Network for some of the Grand Prix series stream coverage and commentary, and could build the base for that with strategic streaming of the key Challenger B senior figure skating events.

Given that Skate Canada typically sends a full set of entries from the Canadian national team, and that this is the first Challenger B of the season on this side of the pond, the business case may be worth it....even if CBC only intended to show podium skates during its broadcasst Road to the Olympic Games coverage. :think:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^ Thanks Mango! A few of us discussed this in Kaetlyn's Fan Fest and I meant to post it here but was busy with work today.

Even though I was enjoying Summertime evolve, I know others were in "Piaf mourning mode". So it's Christmas in Autumn for some fans!

Looks like you get your Summertime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjDBdpvluWo&feature=youtu.be

I posted on Kaetlyn's thread.

The video interview was done during the camp and the Smith's article said she turned back to Piaf two days after the camp. So maybe it's Piaf. :shrug:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Anyone else feeling a bit 'glass half empty' :disapp: about the lack of accessible livestream for the US FS International Classic....?

It's great to hear that there were two medals for Canada, and watch the replays, but I really miss being able to watch, cheer and critique in real time.:

Hey there, to one of my Favs and Besties, don't feel so glum. I am sure we can fix it! I happened upon my friend gravy's post last evening, featuring the link to a livestream from China. With many thanks to him for his link and his post, all worked out fine. I am sure if we worked together we can do anything, including finding a livestream for us all to watch.

I am on it, TGee. ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
TGee the simple answer would be that it's not considered a big or valuable enough event. I mean even Autumn Classic isn't broadcast on national TV, though it could be aired on CBC's site. Instead we get free live streaming and even get streamed practices this year. The bigger thing would be for Ice Network to not be so greedy and offer free live streaming for those outside of the US. The quality is so terrible anyways that who would want to pay for that alone? Skate Canada doesn't really consider it to be a top competition either (and looking at Lombardia Trophy competitors, the rest of the ISU likely as well).

VB I think she's back to Piaf for sure. Summertime could definitely come back as an EX. She's going to have to perform something for Stars on Ice and stuff.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Not her skate today but I am always a Michelle Long Fan because of her grace, and hope one day she has that "Perfect Skate".

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Alicia at 94 and change and what I believe is her best International score @ 150 plus. Nicely done!

TGee

Record Breaker
TGee the simple answer would be that it's not considered a big or valuable enough event. I mean even Autumn Classic isn't broadcast on national TV, though it could be aired on CBC's site. Instead we get free live streaming and even get streamed practices this year. The bigger thing would be for Ice Network to not be so greedy and offer free live streaming for those outside of the US. The quality is so terrible anyways that who would want to pay for that alone? Skate Canada doesn't really consider it to be a top competition either (and looking at Lombardia Trophy competitors, the rest of the ISU likely as well).

Well, I'm always looking for something that will help build the base. It may not be the premier senior B, but Canadians will often tune into events run in the US....

I keep bumping into folks with no knowledge of figure skating who tell me that they saw some Grand Prix skates, or nationals on television or the web and couldn't believe what skaters were doing.

I've even bumped into a few non-FS folks that happened onto TSN coverage the first night of nationals, and when they realized it was in town, got rush tickets for the final day.

It changes how they view the sport entirely. So why wouldn't it be good for CBC just to show the Canadian medalists in the Saturday Road to the Olympics magazine, just the way they are doing for the podium finishers in other winter sports.

So, I keep thinking that the problem isn't so much that FS is a niche sport, but rather that the younger audience that might appreciate where the sport has evolved to don't have exposure to it....

Meanwhile in hockey and curling loving Canada, our young skaters and I end up occasionally munching our lunches in some place with a streaming big screen showing yet another TSN or SN broadcast of hockey, curling.....or anything but figure skating.

And so whenever I see rights sold to a service provider that is more interested in jealously guarding its turf rather than actually broadcasting or streaming the content as far and wide as possible, I'm just grumpy.....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
IDK TGee. The entries we sent were not our top athletes... And an event where we do have our top athletes, ACI, isn't being covered on TV either. If youth want to watch they can stream it anywhere though. The ISU will need to have some kind of rules in place to allow free livestreaming or at least free archived video for Challenger Series events. I would love it if they did streaming on their own channel (Canadians get to see Euros through that). I think to grow figure skating the rules need to be clearer, more clearly applied, and there needs to be more of a social media presence. I have to applaud Skate Canada for making streaming of everything so widely available. That's the direction everyone needs to head in.

Eric is so stylish I am not surprised him & Meagan were chosen as Le Chateau reps. A bunch of Patinage Quebec's top skaters were also at this event: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZIQBY0AmOR/

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I have to say how impressed I was with Liam Firus in SLC. He has really worked on transforming his jumping style and his axel and quad were a thing of beauty! Also, a score of 248 is not a bad start to his season; he was 213 at nationals. To put it in perspective, at Lombardi this week Jason Brown won the silver at 259 and change.

Keep it going Liam and we'll see ya in "Korea"!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It's Pyeongchang, not Seoul.

And Liam's results lately have made the race for the second spot interesting, he best his own ISU PB by 38 points actually, so it's actually a great start to a new season. Hope he gets another international assignment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well well

apparently ACI juniors has entry lists very different from Skate Canada website...

I am devastated to find out that my "son" will be there... and I don't have a ticket to go see him... i only planned to watch seniors LP...

here is the list for boys

here is the list for girls...

the good news : our juniors are getting more chance to compete and it's crucial for them because I feel they are not always mentally ready after watching some of the JGP where some of them underperformed...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Agreed. The junior men's field is very small, but it'll be good for them to go through their programs again in a competitive setting, especially since they're trying to stabilize those quads. And I'm happy to see Aurora getting as many assignments as possible.

nimi

Medalist
Meagan&Eric are featured in BBC radio docuseries 'In The Studio'.

Their episode is called Skating To Gold and focuses on the Muse FP and the creative process behind it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvlm5

- - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: When I first posted the link I thought BBC was doing a docuseries about Meagan&Eric but apparently it's only one episode in a series featuring a bunch of people and subjects? Changed the description accordingly.

Also, checked Eric's twitter account for the first time in a while and oh lordy, this #tbt post is pretty epic: https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/905833657738416131