2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
What a night for Canadian skating! Meagan & Eric, Nam, Keegan, Tessa and Scott, all brilliant and on the heals of Kaetlyn's excellence. So pleased for Piper & Paul, Kaitlyn & Andrew, and Julianne & Charlie. I am so jealous of Mango at this moment...she must be on cloud 9. Can't wait for her report :points:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What a night for Canadian skating! Meagan & Eric, Nam, Keegan, Tessa and Scott, all brilliant and on the heals of Kaetlyn's excellence. So pleased for Piper & Paul, Kaitlyn & Andrew, and Julianne & Charlie. I am so jealous of Mango at this moment...she must be on cloud 9. Can't wait for her report :points:

and i will give my report about tomorrow's events... i had to work today... but managed to switch my schedule around for tomorrow ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks bud. We all look forward to reading your reviews. :agree:

well i am in a bad mood right now... Patrick is no longer listed for Nebelhorn... I won't go into rumours or whatever... it could be a million reasons why he is no longer going.. but 1) i think challengers are important preparation and now he won't have that opportunity before GP

2) we wanted to see his programs of course....

Dr. Jenn

Medalist

I just got around to watching the Canadians' performances, and I was really impressed all around! :)

-Kaetlyn: This program fits her like a glove, so I think that it was a smart choice to return to it. She wasn't quite as 'into' the performance or as sharp as she has been, but that's very understandable given the recent switch. Her jumps and other technical elements looked great!
-Nam: I think that he is finally growing into his body. He still needs to work on his speed and spins, but I did notice an improvement in his skating skills. I like this program for him, and he is jumping well.
-Keegan: What a charmer! He's such a crowd pleaser. This is a great program for him. He is very fast in all aspects of his skating.
-Tessa & Scott: Fantastic! Short dances really are their forte. This was very well executed. They both - but especially Tessa - move extremely well for Latin dancing. I like how they took a different spin on the genre. I'm not convinced about the costumes, but I'm sure that they will change throughout the season.
-Kaitlyn & Andrew: This didn't engage me. I actually caught myself spacing out a few times during their program, which rarely happens when they skate. I'm not sure what's not working, but hopefully the program will improve with more mileage. They seemed like they needed more training time.
-Piper & Paul: In contrast, this engaged me from start to finish. I always enjoy seeing what creative move/etc. they will come up with - This time, it's sleeves! ;)
-Meagan & Eric: I loved this program! It's so sensitively done, and they have improved their aesthetic. Their body positions seem to have better stretch and line. I also love Meagan's new look.
-Julianne & Charlie: I love this program too - so modern and edgy! They did an excellent job of highlighting the musical accents.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the FD and FS programs! :)

nimi

Medalist
-Nam: I think that he is finally growing into his body. He still needs to work on his speed and spins, but I did notice an improvement in his skating skills. I like this program for him, and he is jumping well.
-Keegan: What a charmer! He's such a crowd pleaser. This is a great program for him. He is very fast in all aspects of his skating.
I only watched dance and pairs via stream (because by that time it was already about 3 am where I live :laugh:) but I'm glad to hear that Nam might have gotten past the rough period and Keegan is doing well, too... Gotta check out the singles vids!

Btw, does somebody know why Elladj withdrew?

-Tessa & Scott: Fantastic! Short dances really are their forte. This was very well executed. They both - but especially Tessa - move extremely well for Latin dancing. I like how they took a different spin on the genre. I'm not convinced about the costumes, but I'm sure that they will change throughout the season.
-Kaitlyn & Andrew: This didn't engage me. I actually caught myself spacing out a few times during their program, which rarely happens when they skate. I'm not sure what's not working, but hopefully the program will improve with more mileage. They seemed like they needed more training time.
-Piper & Paul: In contrast, this engaged me from start to finish. I always enjoy seeing what creative move/etc. they will come up with - This time, it's sleeves! ;)
-Meagan & Eric: I loved this program! It's so sensitively done, and they have improved their aesthetic. Their body positions seem to have better stretch and line. I also love Meagan's new look.
-Julianne & Charlie: I love this program too - so modern and edgy! They did an excellent job of highlighting the musical accents.

- I didn't mind V/M's costumes... Agree with the great body movement! They're just impressive to watch because they're so smooth and sharp and confident and good.

- I think WeaPo's program has good bones, so to speak, it just needs some tweaking and them getting more comfortable with it. Maybe also some changes in the costume department (Andrew looks fine, not so sure about Kaitlyn's plain white top...)

- I'm all rainbows and sunshine just thinking about P2's bossanova/Yma Sumac SD! They're just fun to watch! Good choice of music for them and the Laurine moment was cherry on top of a cake :laugh: (Considering that costume-wise this SD season features an endless cavalcade of rather interchangeable Men In Black, I appreciate that Paul managed to liven things up a bit even while wearing black... Ditto with Scott being sparklier than usual)

- Still not loving the cover version D/R picked as their program music, but there's this new softness to their skating and movement that kinda makes the music work for them so I cannot complain about it too much. IIRC their twist looked smoother than usual, too. Promising!

- I'm glad to see S/B skating to something that's neither bright and upbeat nor lyrical and sweet. I get that Lorde isn't everybody's cup of tea but I like this music on them. Agree with their use of musical accents; there are so many teams who have a wishy washy way of approaching their music and often skating/choreographing vaguely around it so I appreciate that S/B have chosen to really hit hard some of the accents. Of course there's still some room for improvement there but e.g. the throw landed right on the beat was impressive!

Ditto!

kresslia

Medalist
The Autumn Classic women's FS thread is disturbing to me with how much they're bashing Kaetlyn, calling her a program a "joke". Didn't really want to speak up there since it's nothing but hate.

EVERY time our Canadian skaters get big scores at Canadian events, people scream "Canadian inflation", then they go on to top those scores internationally. I remember when Kaetlyn got 74 for her SP at Skate Canada last year everyone was yelling that she'd never get that internationally, then she went on to top that a month and a half later at the GPF.

I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but I don't buy into home ice inflation making a huge difference like posters here seem to believe. It's not like the panel is all Canadian. It's not Nationals. It's still an ISU event.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just take all the Kaetlyn bashing as a compliment. People wouldn't bother bashing her if they didn't recognize her as a threat to their favorites.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Just take all the Kaetlyn bashing as a compliment. People wouldn't bother bashing her if they didn't recognize her as a threat to their favorites.

For me personally it's the score quite ridiculous, knowing the skater a bit, she is actually in a good form if she can jump the 3lo and the 3-3 this early.

But please change the make up because it's a total mess.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Happy for Kaitlyn's win! she got alot of height on the jumps today and pulled of 7 triples! good for her! Like I said in the AC thread, of course, she was going to be overscored competitions like this Skate America and Rostelecom are known for over scoring their own skaters. This isn't new information. Fans of kaetlyn please watch out for this nasty fellow called tjb he's very hateful towards us and kaetlyn. I don't want to name call but its come to the point where he's constantly attacking her any chance he gets.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Happy for Kaitlyn's win! she got alot of height on the jumps today and pulled of 7 triples! good for her! Like I said in the AC thread, of course, she was going to be overscored competitions like this Skate America and Rostelecom are known for over scoring their own skaters. This isn't new information. Fans of kaetlyn please watch out for this nasty fellow called tjb he's very hateful towards us and kaetlyn. I don't want to name call but its come to the point where he's constantly attacking her any chance he gets.

I think it's more than that. Kaetlyn in the reigning World Silver Medalist and the judges know it. Without Med in the event, she will be favored everywhere she goes.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
For me personally it's the score quite ridiculous, knowing the skater a bit, she is actually in a good form if she can jump the 3lo and the 3-3 this early.

But please change the make up because it's a total mess.

Not perfect but 7 triples? When was the last time she landed a 7 triple program? She is moving her bar and others are getting, uncomfortable.

kresslia

Medalist
Not perfect but 7 triples? When was the last time she landed a 7 triple program? She is moving her bar and others are getting, uncomfortable.
tbh I think 142 with a couple mistakes just signals to us that a clean Kaetlyn is scoring close to 150, even if people don't want to believe it rn.

nimi

Medalist
That was almost a shockingly rough free skate for D/R. I've never seen Meagan fall 3 times in a program before. :slink:

Also, is this the first time they've lost a competition to James & Cipres?

According to this tweet they're even considering dumping Muse and getting a new long...