2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

slider11

Medalist
Really pulling for Liam Firus to be second pick for the mens team. Love his style ! I know, I know, gotta hit the jumps....but that LaLa Land LP is magnificent!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I think that the ladies event will be pretty much the same as last year. Kaetlyn is beloved by her federation so much that she can fall twice and still be champion. She will definitely be champion again because it’s highly unlikely that Daleman will land a quad in her first attempt.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
While it would be difficult not to have Gabby, Kaetlyn on the Team based on their International results this past year, the real battle may be for the bronze. I hope Alaine can find her joy and her jumps again, but waiting in the wings are an improved Alicia, Michelle, Auroa and Larkyn. This will not be a cakewalk and will make for an interesting event.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
How is Gabby quad prospect? Is she successful in training?

Not sure if I read it here or online, but apparently she had a harness on the first day and was landing it unassisted, the next. I don't know to what degree of consistency, but good on Gabby, for attempting. I hope it works out for her.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Happy New Year!

Here's to another year of cheering for our athletes. :hap10:

We now have less than a week to Nationals and this lazy fruit has managed to get some threads posted in our subforum. Come join us! But if you'd rather just watch it on TV, here is the broadcast schedule.

Some news

Larkyn Austman was training with 11 stitches in Colorado Springs. 😱

German website Long-Program.com published an interview with Piper & Paul. They posted an English translation of this on their Facebook page.

Emily Bausback is out of Nationals and for the rest of the season. Jane Gray is in. Get well soon Emily. :pray:

Kaetlyn made The Telegram's top ten sports stories of Newfoundland: http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/o...s-top-sports-stories-of-the-past-year-173842/

Nam posted an Instagram story with his costumes for Nationals and one of them was his current SP costume while the other was his FS costume from 2014-15. So it looks like there's been a program change.

I expect some media coverage about Nationals to start soon. Likely by the end of this week. If you guys see anything, please share. Merci. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some interesting stuff. As for Gabby adding her quad good for her and she has nothing to lose considering her competition in the world and even at Canadians - with the fall from grace of Chartrand and no other lady in the distance she has her Olympic berth. My only concern is that the quad affects her 3T 3T combo - her bread and butter. I Muscle memory can cause issues; but if she insists on trying the quad then she would be smart to do the 3T3T first and then go for the quad and get it fully rotated. With a fall it is still worth another triple jump in points. Those are the rules. As for Nam I am nervous for him and Kevin - neither has looked great this year. Both have stopped growing artistically and technically. Nam has never reached the potential we once thought he had and ironically his coach may reflect this too as she was a child prodigy who never reached what many thought was her full potential. (Tracey Wainman). The Canadians do not have the money or clout like the Americans where Vera Wang will step in to save" the costume day ie. Nathan Chen.

It will be very interesting to see who gets the second men's spot, the third women's spot and the final pairs spot. Dance is a foregone conclusion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Liam is going to find it tough. Skate Canada will deep down look for a developing skater ie Nadeau, Sadowsky or top ten potential - Reynold and Nam. They already have the king of beautiful skating in Chan and despite Chan's lack of tech he is still superior to Liam's content. Liam need to be sold and accepted as the Jason Brown but that won't happen - he doesn't have the federation power that Brown has and he just doesn't have the personality or public or skating acceptance. He will be lucky to make the national team.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Okay Debbie Downer, thanks for your annual review.

For me, I would rather have good coaching, jumping technicians, comprehensive programs and great choreography that Canadians are known for, verus, Vera Wang "perfume", but to each their own. Your record on GS will show that you have underestimated previously, and have been proven wrong, as per your assessment before Worlds 2017, predicting Canadian skating demise before the Team qualified with more Olympic spots than any other nation.

Looks like your knack for predicting, continues in 2018.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ As I write this, I am watching 'Stars on Ice' on CBC with PChiddy, Lubov & Dylan, Duhamel & Radford, Kaetlyn, Gabby, Jeff B., Elvis, Kurt and Virtue & Moir. My God, what an exquisite bunch!

Thank you guys for your extraordinary contributions to Canadian skating, and to the sport!

PS Gabby just did her trademark 3/3 in an exhibition!!!

Scout

Final Flight
[...] but waiting in the wings are an improved Alicia, Michelle, Auroa and Larkyn.

These four girls have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Alaine, on the other hand, probably feels like the third spot is hers to lose, with the most accomplished resume.

kresslia

Medalist

Alaine, on the other hand, probably feels like the third spot is hers to lose, with the most accomplished resume.
I am hoping whoever gets that third spot earns it! It would be a little cringeworthy if Alaine gets it by falling and popping all over the place. Hoping for 2016 Nationals Alaine to show up!

Scout

Final Flight
I am hoping whoever gets that third spot earns it! It would be a little cringeworthy if Alaine gets it by falling and popping all over the place. Hoping for 2016 Nationals Alaine to show up!

So am I! I'm hoping for a great fight, where all the girls can be proud of how they skated. It's never fun when the "least worst" skate wins (or comes in third, in this case).

peese

Medalist
Some interesting stuff. As for Gabby adding her quad good for her and she has nothing to lose considering her competition in the world and even at Canadians - with the fall from grace of Chartrand and no other lady in the distance she has her Olympic berth. My only concern is that the quad affects her 3T 3T combo - her bread and butter. I Muscle memory can cause issues; but if she insists on trying the quad then she would be smart to do the 3T3T first and then go for the quad and get it fully rotated. With a fall it is still worth another triple jump in points. Those are the rules. As for Nam I am nervous for him and Kevin - neither has looked great this year. Both have stopped growing artistically and technically. Nam has never reached the potential we once thought he had and ironically his coach may reflect this too as she was a child prodigy who never reached what many thought was her full potential. (Tracey Wainman). The Canadians do not have the money or clout like the Americans where Vera Wang will step in to save" the costume day ie. Nathan Chen.

It will be very interesting to see who gets the second men's spot, the third women's spot and the final pairs spot. Dance is a foregone conclusion.

Nam is no longer coached by Tracey.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

to be honest, I would not be so sure about Alaine's way of thinking about third spot...The best for her would be probably (imo) to not think about the spot on the line at all - I know, this is irrational and weird in Olympic season, but looking at how Alaine's season went so far, she should really approach Nationals with fresh mind, carrying more about her experience, programs and determination to do good for herself, not about results (those better and worse) or if she's a lock for Olympic spot or not. People's talk and stigmas given about Olympics could cause more damage than benefit I think - and Alaine seems lately quite nervous and unsure in executing her programs, so adding more pressure from 'outside' is not a good thing. My hope is for ALL ladies, Alaine included, to give their best and earn spots - in this particular order.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think Liam is going to find it tough. Skate Canada will deep down look for a developing skater ie Nadeau, Sadowsky or top ten potential - Reynold and Nam. They already have the king of beautiful skating in Chan and despite Chan's lack of tech he is still superior to Liam's content. Liam need to be sold and accepted as the Jason Brown but that won't happen - he doesn't have the federation power that Brown has and he just doesn't have the personality or public or skating acceptance. He will be lucky to make the national team.

as for Liam 'going to find it tough' - well, basically ALL Canadian Men (except Patrick maybe) will 'find it tough' regarding rivalry for Olympic spots, for me there is no need to put Liam much higher above others or to lower his position beneath them. Lots of different things could happen - and boy, did this very season prove its unpredictability so far in Men's field? We can lock skaters in positions as we wish, but there is no guarantee that it will happen for real.

'Chan's lack of tech' makes me smile a bit, since him backing from GP season, getting some new perspective could be the best thing to do, especially looking what happened in Men's field all season long. And it really depends how we develop meaning of 'lack of tech' in regards to particular skater AND how it fares in the whole field, paper calculation and declared ability still haven't develop a power to jump themselves. And personally, I'd rather see 'lack of tech' than lack of health. Don't know for sure of course, but the light motive of the season going forward could be 'having enough tech', not pointing lacks in technique in skaters, comparing them to others who have had their struggles.

And about Liam being in 'need to be sold and accepted as Jason Brown' to make it happen - for me, it's quite unfair to compare Jason and Liam, looking at their records, experience internationally, 'exposure' level. Yes - Liam would definitely benefit from established position in Men's field Jason has, so do many, many other skaters, but I try to understand that this kind of 'exuberance' is not everybody's thing. From my perspective, Jason achieved his position and this 'acceptation' by mostly sticking to himself, in good or worse times, and it got a positive response not only from audiences/fans, but also from Federation, which is not that obvious and straightforward like it seems. Jason's 'charm' as a skater and personality definitely excels outside of skating itself I think, which is another point of his popularity, acceptance and success, while Liam's 'charm' is there, but just not on such extended level. This 'complexity' of Jason should not overshadow Liam's qualities and work he's doing - to each on their own, respectively, different perspectives and points of view in this comparison in my opinion, BUT both skaters are competing at their Nationals and both actually have no assurance of Olympic spot.

Scout

Final Flight
to be honest, I would not be so sure about Alaine's way of thinking about third spot...The best for her would be probably (imo) to not think about the spot on the line at all - I know, this is irrational and weird in Olympic season, but looking at how Alaine's season went so far, she should really approach Nationals with fresh mind, carrying more about her experience, programs and determination to do good for herself, not about results (those better and worse) or if she's a lock for Olympic spot or not. People's talk and stigmas given about Olympics could cause more damage than benefit I think - and Alaine seems lately quite nervous and unsure in executing her programs, so adding more pressure from 'outside' is not a good thing. My hope is for ALL ladies, Alaine included, to give their best and earn spots - in this particular order.

I agree with everything you've said, and especially your last sentence.

But it would be hard not to realize that of the four, she's the one who has 4 medals from Nationals, one of which is gold. She's the one with the GP medal. She's the one who has been to worlds twice and has a wealth of international experience. She's the one, who, if all four ladies skate their absolute best, will be the one who comes out on top, and hence the spot is hers to lose (in the sense that she's got the advantage).

I agree that this not what she should think about. But it's hard not to be aware of it or contemplate what your chances are or analyze your competitors. You're not supposed to, but it's near impossible not to.

Exposed

Match Penalty
Non-figure skating related but congrats to our boys for winning the 2018 hockey world juniors!

- - - Updated - - -

How do you guys think Stephen will fair at his first senior nationals?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Non-figure skating related but congrats to our boys for winning the 2018 hockey world juniors!

- - - Updated - - -

How do you guys think Stephen will fair at his first senior nationals?

JWC :hap10:

I've been following Stephen for a while but this season has been so bizarre that even I can't give you a real answer to this. He could be 2nd to Chiddy or he could be like 8th. It depends on if he's healthy and is going to peak here (as well as how everyone else skates, of course). Normally he peaks earlier. His first two seasons he peaked at Challenge - set National records, actually. Did well at Coupe du Printemps in 2016 as well. Last season he really peaked at Sectionals, had a great SP at Challenge, and a great FS at Nationals. This year he hasn't quite peaked. A great SP at Minto, a great FS at Summer Skate and then so-so skates elsewhere. His problems seem to be tied to the quads he's playing with. I think it's affecting his triples too. He also may have been injured. So if he's healthy and ready to compete then expect something good. Otherwise a top 10 placement of some kind.