2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Nice comparison... Elladj and Misha... so different but alike in so many ways.

Myself, I just tend to see - well, mainly due to this technical/results separation among Men's field - that we have those top 'superheroes', with multiple titles, crazy skills, abundance of quads who are kind of setting the primal tone in the competition, the anticipation for it, yet there we have those other guys who often struggle and battle through their season/performances, but equally often they are providing the colour and lots of intellectual/visual texture to the competition, complimenting the frame established by 'top' ones and making us appreciate this variety.

Elladj, Keegan, Misha, Deniss pop to my mind this season, along with discoveries of mine like Alexander Johnson or Jimmy Ma - I'd say skaters quite conscious about their abilites technically speaking, but ambitious and striving for development in various areas; yet, as they are conscious about where they are, they seems to thrive harder, more intensive on the performance itself as a platform of some sort of communication with people through their skating. And I do think that this very season, in the light of so many injuries, withdrawals and difficult moments experienced by those 'superheroes' who are the most talked usual, some kind of attention shift can be see a bit to those excelling (even from time to time, with more miss than hit frequency) with their performer's abilities, especially with fairly clean execution.

Also, there is something to be said about the power of experience and determination from those being long in the running and building steadily on what the best the have like Adam, Alexei or Sergei. I have to say that one of the most memorable, spirited and inspiring performances came 'out of nowhere' at NHK Trophy by those guys, proving that if there is a high standard for ech of them individually, surpassing it could help in seizing an opportunity much bigger than expected.

Warwick360

Medalist
Well, if any skater deserves to be held up, it's Patrick. He's been the lead Man for so many years and even he doesn't medal as an individual, I think he can really help the team. They have a real shot at winning the Gold.

I'm not arguing the position. And I can understand the scores since it's Nationals, and the high scores are part and parcel of it. But it was hard for me to watch both his SP and FS. I expected better, considering the break from competition. But instead I just couldn't manage to watch through neither the SP nor the LP till the end. :slink:

brightphoton

Medalist
What happened to Alaine Chartrand? Did she get injured? I remember watching her a few years back and she looked poised to be the third Canadian lady

synteis

Medalist
Wait. It hasn't been announced yet? And here I was thinking it was already confirmed since Keegan's name is featured in the wiki page. :scratch3:

Not officially as far as I can tell. I think it'll be the podiums as far as historical precedence goes and maybe so do the people who updated the wiki but no official word.

- - - Updated - - -

What happened to Alaine Chartrand? Did she get injured? I remember watching her a few years back and she looked poised to be the third Canadian lady

Yeah she had a complete meltdown in the short and wasn't in the last flight. She did better in the LP but still not enough.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm not arguing the position. And I can understand the scores since it's Nationals, and the high scores are part and parcel of it. But it was hard for me to watch both his SP and FS. I expected better, considering the break from competition. But instead I just couldn't manage to watch through neither the SP nor the LP till the end. :slink:

I guess it depends on expectations. Patrick since the comeback has been one of the few skaters I can watch regardless of the tech. I think its partly because his commitment to movement has improved and because I've just been savoring his performances more. I remember being totally captivated by this GPF performance of his despite him falling time and time again. I think by going for less tech in the free he delivered a very good if not great performance. His blades spoke for themselves :bow:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It'll actually be pretty heartbreaking if they don't send Larkyn because she sure sounded like she thought she was going in the interviews. Kind of crushing for her when she talks about destiny and how it was all she wanted.

synteis

Medalist
It'll actually be pretty heartbreaking if they don't send Larkyn because she sure sounded like she thought she was going in the interviews. Kind of crushing for her when she talks about destiny and how it was all she wanted.

Yeah, I really hope they just go with the podium.

Warwick360

Medalist
Not officially as far as I can tell. I think it'll be the podiums as far as historical precedence goes and maybe so do the people who updated the wiki but no official word.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah she had a complete meltdown in the short and wasn't in the last flight. She did better in the LP but still not enough.

I feel cheated by wiki now.:slink:

As for Chartrand having meltdown. I'm wondering what's new. To be virtually gifted this third position since there's no high level Canadian lady, it seems like such a huge missed opportunity. :disapp:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia

If you look at Gabby Daleman's instagram story, you'll get an idea, who's going :p

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I still don’t know ☹️

Ok, I don't think it's really a secret (or is supposed to be), but she had a photo with Larkyn, which was captioned something along the lines of "we're going to Olympics". So at least for the ladies should be Kaetlyn, Gabby, Larkyn.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Team Canada for Olympic Winter Games
MEN: Patrick Chan, Keegan Messing
LADIES: Larkyn Austman, Gabrielle Daleman, Kaetlyn Osmond
PAIRS: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Seguin/Bilodeau
DANCE: Gilles/Poirier, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje

Source

Same team apparently also for Worlds

GGFan

Record Breaker
Team Canada for Olympic Winter Games
MEN: Patrick Chan, Keegan Messing
LADIES: Larkyn Austman, Gabrielle Daleman, Kaetlyn Osmond
PAIRS: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Seguin/Bilodeau
DANCE: Gilles/Poirier, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje

Source

No drama. Thank you Canada :clap:

Having said that I'm still very sad for I/M :sad4:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Team Canada for 4CC
M: Elladj Balde, Nam Nguyen, Kevin Reynolds
L: Alaine Chartrand, Michelle Long, Alicia Pineault
P: Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch, Kolodziej/Deschamps, Ruest/Wolfe
D: Arnold/Williams, Sales/Wamsteeker, Soucisse/Firus

Source

Wonder if Balde will retire before and not go though.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Team Canada for WJC
MEN: Conrad Orzel, Joseph Phan
LADIES: Aurora Cotop
PAIRS: Lori-Ann Matte/Thierry Ferland, Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud
DANCE: Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha, Olivia McIsaac/Elliott Graham

Source

GGFan

Record Breaker
Team Canada for WJC
MEN: Conrad Orzel, Joseph Phan
LADIES: Aurora Cotop
PAIRS: Lori-Ann Matte/Thierry Ferland, Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud
DANCE: Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha, Olivia McIsaac/Elliott Graham

Source

Imma let the ISU finish with their Junior Worlds, blah blah blah, but I saw Gogolev yesterday and there is no Junior Worlds until he's old enough to be there :dev2::laugh2: