2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

kresslia

Medalist
So Larkyn Austman, who would place 17th in Russia or 15th in Japan, goes to Korea, while Konstantinova or Tsurskaya stay home and will watch the Olympics on TV. That's great. The ISU system works perfectly. (sarcasm alert).
Can you not keep this to the Russian ladies thread?

Gabby and Kaetlyn earned that 3rd spot by placing 2nd and 3rd. I'm sorry this bothers you so much.

GGFan

Record Breaker
So Larkyn Austman, who would place 17th in Russia or 15th in Japan, goes to Korea, while Konstantinova or Tsurskaya stay home and will watch the Olympics on TV. That's great. The ISU system works perfectly. (sarcasm alert).

But this happens in sports all the time. For example, in swimming each country is only allowed 2 spots. In some events in the US we've had 6 out of the top 10 in the world. Those other 4 just have to go home and lick their wounds. Olympic competition sometimes values diversity (inclusion of many countries) over unbalanced representations of the best athletes from any one nation. And given the mission of the Olympic movement that completely makes sense. I think the Canadians have good reason to be tired of us going after their ladies:

1. Was there a system in place in place to distribute the Olympic spots? yes
2. Were the rules for that system set out in advance and did everyone have access to said rules? yes
3. Was the system administered in a reckless or unjust manner? no (though some may want to argue this point :dev2:)

Japan's situation is unfortunate. Believe you me I wish Wakaba was at the Olympics. But that's just life and neither Larkyn :biggrin: Canada or the evil ISU :devil: are to blame for that.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Girl: wrong thread.

millie

Medalist
So Larkyn Austman, who would place 17th in Russia or 15th in Japan, goes to Korea, while Konstantinova or Tsurskaya stay home and will watch the Olympics on TV. That's great. The ISU system works perfectly. (sarcasm alert).[/QUOTE

Yes me boy, that's what the Olympics are all about....The Canadians earned three spots to the Olympics...Ask one of the Russian girls to stay home and give their spot to Japan..(sarcasm 🚨 alert)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chartrand has had her moments and high scoring potential, but htat hasn't really translated to much of a body of work. She's only one 1 senior B medal and 1 GP medal in the last four years. She has actually done pretty well at Canadians, so it's a pretty bad sign when she couldn't even pull it off there.

Keegan Messing actually has the highest season's best score due to Patrick's poor performance at his only GP, so it was a no-brainer to give it to him. Nam Nguyen's score was close, but again, he did not have a compelling body of work.

The top 3 dance and pairs are easy picks too as they also are the top 3 on the season's best list.

Body of work decisions were not necessary because the ones who would have had a case actually finished where they needed at nationals.

This so much.

Chartrand, Nguyen/Reynolds/Balde, and I/M have had strong international results... but that's in seasons past. This season and this Nationals, they were outskated by their counterparts.

I wanted Chartrand to be on the team, but Austman really deserves the experience (the judges did everything they could to help Alaine and even still she just didn't do enough). I kept saying for the longest time that they're not just going to give it to Alaine, especially with her past season... and that the other girls will be smelling blood in the water, which Austman capitalized on. And I/M should have known that MT/M and S/B were threats to their Olympics -- but hopefully they still have a good 4CC.

Totally agree that BOW decisions weren't necessary. The only one it might have mattered is I/M but they were so convincingly beaten by the other two that it would have been rather unfair to send them (and I say that as more a fan of I/M than MT/M and S/B).

pearly

Record Breaker

Some people get to go to Korea, some people get to stay home and watch the Olympics on TV and some people get to post nonsense on forums. Such is life.

Manitou

Medalist
Girl: wrong thread.

If this is a Canadian team's fan thread then yes, I posted it in a wrong place. Should be in the Russian Girls thread instead.... I thought that the fan section has it's own separate place and there are no such requirements in The Edge.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Can you not keep this to the Russian ladies thread?

Gabby and Kaetlyn earned that 3rd spot by placing 2nd and 3rd. I'm sorry this bothers you so much.

Since everybody is talking about the 3rd spot... well the job of the 3rd spot in my blunt opinion is to be the intern and understudy and gofer for Gabby and Kaetlyn. Oh and accept a free ticket and pass to the Olympics - lucky, lucky, lucky.

I'm happy Canada is not giving that 3rd slot away. Why? So Ashley Wagner can get in the way of Gabby?

Enough said.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
As to the Road to the Olympics:

Frankly if Kaetlyn can just understand her Olympic performances are just practices, she's got the gold. Nobody's pushed themselves harder with more grace, and she's definitely taught Gabby grit.

If our Gabby can just continue to be that Team Canada Plan B, that challenger who earned her gold last Saturday and if G*d Forbid our Kaetlyn has so much as a hiccup or a stumble from a weakening body... Gabby will get the gold.

What has anybody else got when the playing field is level and Kaetlyn Osmond has two on days?

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Crazy people :) to be realistic, for everybody who compete for a medal is not the difference if Canada has third lady, or Japanese, or Americans, or Kazahstan has second ladys spot etc Those who are the favorites will probably easily beat them all, so..

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker

Yes. The Olympics are about different countries setting aside differences and competing peacefully together. All countries have had their ups and downs in terms of skating dominance. That isn't what the Olympics are about. Gabby and Kaetlyn earned their three spots. If Konstantinova and Tsurskaya are the skaters I know they are then missing the team will motivate them beyond anything else. They have advantages being from a strong federation too.

Besides- sure, Larkyn isn't the level of skater as Tsurskaya. But there was a spot open for the Canadian ladies and she beat everyone but Gabby and Kaetlyn for it. She worked hard and was rewarded. You can criticize a system you think is unfair without insulting a skater who did nothing wrong.

Manitou

Medalist
Besides- sure, Larkyn isn't the level of skater as Tsurskaya. But there was a spot open for the Canadian ladies and she beat everyone but Gabby and Kaetlyn for it. She worked hard and was rewarded. You can criticize a system you think is unfair without insulting a skater who did nothing wrong.

Yes, I said the system is unfair, but where is the insult to the skater?
If you take Larkyn’s points and apply them to Russian or Japanese nationals you will get exactly those placements.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Larkyn has worked towards her own Olympic dream. She was a flower retriever during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. She's been on Olympic ice.

Then in 2014 she appeared as the figure skater at the Olympics in this P&G commercial: https://youtu.be/1SwFso7NeuA

And she made her dream a reality by doing her best at her own Nationals.

But well as Frank used to say
"Some people get their kicks stompin' on a dream"

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Larkyn has worked towards her own Olympic dream. She was a flower retriever during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. She's been on Olympic ice.

Then in 2014 she appeared as the figure skater at the Olympics in this P&G commercial: https://youtu.be/1SwFso7NeuA

And she made her dream a reality by doing her best at her own Nationals.

But well as Frank used to say
"Some people get their kicks stompin' on a dream"

Very well said. Sincerely hope Larkyn has a well deserved good time at the Olympics and well, maybe commandeer the bronze.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Very well said. Sincerely hope Larkyn has a well deserved good time at the Olympics and well, maybe commandeer the bronze.

:biggrin: I like your optimism but really Larkyn should be using this experience to spark the fire she needs for the next 4 seasons. Like Gabby when she went to Sochi. The federation has put their trust in her so hopefully she builds upon that to become a more competitive skater in the following seasons.

happylife

On the Ice
:biggrin: I like your optimism but really Larkyn should be using this experience to spark the fire she needs for the next 4 seasons. Like Gabby when she went to Sochi. The federation has put their trust in her so hopefully she builds upon that to become a more competitive skater in the following seasons.

Very well said, Mango. :) :thumbsup: :clap:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Very well said, Mango. :) :thumbsup: :clap:

Thank you happylife!

Just want to express appreciation for your fantastic avatar. ❤️

By the way, do you happen to know why Patrick got a beluga? I so wanted to get him a shark when he came back but I didn't get to see him compete that season. :(

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes, I said the system is unfair, but where is the insult to the skater?
If you take Larkyn’s points and apply them to Russian or Japanese nationals you will get exactly those placements.
First of all, we don't do that, compare scores. You cannot compare scores between competitions like that and make definitive statements. Comparing points like you just did is literally the same like comparing dress colors and saying "her dress was lighter red, she would have placed behind a skater who wore darker red".

Second, many skaters who would place low at Russian or Japanese nationals are also going to Korea. Every year they also go to Worlds. Same system.