2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

pearly

Record Breaker
Since everybody is talking about the 3rd spot... well the job of the 3rd spot in my blunt opinion is to be the intern and understudy and gofer for Gabby and Kaetlyn. Oh and accept a free ticket and pass to the Olympics - lucky, lucky, lucky.

I'm happy Canada is not giving that 3rd slot away. Why? So Ashley Wagner can get in the way of Gabby?

Enough said.

What does any American skater have to do with this? Should anyone give up a spot, it goes to Armenia.

russianfan

Match Penalty
i wonder why no one complains about the fact that Kazakhstan got two spots for their ladies, when their last Nationals results looked like this
1st: 216.46
2nd: 135.11
3rd: 123.41

look at it from a positive side: at least canadian skaters can go beyond 150 points :biggrin: there will be some skaters who can not get even these scores

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But this happens in sports all the time. For example, in swimming each country is only allowed 2 spots. In some events in the US we've had 6 out of the top 10 in the world. Those other 4 just have to go home and lick their wounds. Olympic competition sometimes values diversity (inclusion of many countries) over unbalanced representations of the best athletes from any one nation. And given the mission of the Olympic movement that completely makes sense. I think the Canadians have good reason to be tired of us going after their ladies:

1. Was there a system in place in place to distribute the Olympic spots? yes
2. Were the rules for that system set out in advance and did everyone have access to said rules? yes
3. Was the system administered in a reckless or unjust manner? no (though some may want to argue this point :dev2:)

Japan's situation is unfortunate. Believe you me I wish Wakaba was at the Olympics. But that's just life and neither Larkyn :biggrin: Canada or the evil ISU :devil: are to blame for that.

1000000000%.

As another example, 6 out of the top 10 ranked men's curling teams in the world are Canadian (so much so that the rankings actually distinguish them by province, not nationality, in the rankings). http://www.worldcurl.com/oom/oom.php?task=week

So does this mean in the Olympic curling tournament, which has 10 teams, should 6 out of the 10 spots be Canadian teams? :sarcasm: Heck no! In fact, only ONE gets to go. Even though Japan (29th ranked), Denmark (30th ranked) and Italy (73rd ranked), are going to be competing in the 2018 Olympic curling tournament.

Permission to copy and paste your post any time somebody whines about the Russians or the Japanese or whoever not having enough spots or saying that other countries should give up their earned spots? :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

ChanClan

On the Ice
we have this expression in Poland saying that bearer flag won't be in time for winning a medal (i.e. bearing national flag is a bad omen for medalling), so...:laugh:, seriously - bear the flag and get medals!

Hopefully that's different for the Winter Olympics. Our last 2 flag bearers for the Winter Olympics won a gold medal and a bronze so fingers crossed!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What does any American skater have to do with this? Should anyone give up a spot, it goes to Armenia.

Has this "Give your third spot to Japan" nonsense migrated over to the Canadian thread now?

Dear Lord, I have had enough of that. So here's my response:

The Japanese ladies choked in Helsinki. They didn't have a fighting spirit. They WILTED under the pressure. They didn't have what it takes.

Considering their World Championship performance, they're lucky to have TWO spots.

Why would USA or Canada take away the dream of a lifetime for one of their own, just to give it to a Japanese girl, who if recent history is to be trusted, will panic under the biggest spotlight and splat and pop her way to ignominy.

So, for Japanese ladies fans, here's a tip: Send girls to World's who can stand up and EARN you three spots.

You don't hear Americans ranting that Japan should give it's pairs spot to USA. We know our pairs program sucks, and that our Fed needs to work on this. But we're leaving pairs at home that are better than the one you're sending.

And we won't even TALK about dance.

Not to mention that an Olympic berth isn't some sort of coin you can give to whomever you want. USA or Canada can't "give their spot to Japan" because the rules don't work that way.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You don't hear Americans ranting that Japan should give it's pairs spot to USA. We know our pairs program sucks, and that our Fed needs to work on this. But we're leaving pairs at home that are better than the one you're sending.

Not to mention that an Olympic berth isn't some sort of coin you can give to whomever you want. USA or Canada can't "give their spot to Japan" because the rules don't work that way.

And then there's Lubov and Dylan, with a season's best of 193.07, who aren't going to the Olympics. Maybe Japan should give Canada another pair's spot in trade for a ladies' spot? Or just out of the goodness of their hearts and sense of fair play? It definitely doesn't work that way. Nor should it.

danse

On the Ice
Not going to lie, if we could swap our 3rd lady for an extra men's spot to send Nam, I'd go for it. :devil:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd trade our 3rd ladies spot to Japan for their ID judge. :devil:

LOL. Well, if we're playing THAT game...

I'd trade your third lady for Shin Amano as Tech Caller.

I would LOVE to see all the weeping and wailing as those UR's were rightfully called. :devil:

GGFan

Record Breaker

I would LOVE to see all the weeping and wailing as those UR's were rightfully called. :devil:

Karen's spot is on the market too :laugh2: See Ashley, it's not just you who is expendable :dev2:

sarama

Medalist

I would LOVE to see all the weeping and wailing as those UR's were rightfully called. [emoji317]
Yeeeees! That would have been so awesome. I pray for the day Shin Amano becomes the ISU president

pearly

Record Breaker
Has this "Give your third spot to Japan" nonsense migrated over to the Canadian thread now?

Dear Lord, I have had enough of that. So here's my response:

The Japanese ladies choked in Helsinki. They didn't have a fighting spirit. They WILTED under the pressure. They didn't have what it takes.

Considering their World Championship performance, they're lucky to have TWO spots.

Why would USA or Canada take away the dream of a lifetime for one of their own, just to give it to a Japanese girl, who if recent history is to be trusted, will panic under the biggest spotlight and splat and pop her way to ignominy.

So, for Japanese ladies fans, here's a tip: Send girls to World's who can stand up and EARN you three spots.

It was just a matter of time. But the debate is as ridiculous as on other threads. (I was just making an observation that if for whatever reason any country decided to give up a spot - the deadline for which has, by the way, passed - the spot would not go to Ashley or Wakaba or USA or Japan, it would go to freakin Armenia.)