2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Has this "Give your third spot to Japan" nonsense migrated over to the Canadian thread now?

Dear Lord, I have had enough of that. So here's my response:

The Japanese ladies choked in Helsinki. They didn't have a fighting spirit. They WILTED under the pressure. They didn't have what it takes.

Considering their World Championship performance, they're lucky to have TWO spots.

Why would USA or Canada take away the dream of a lifetime for one of their own, just to give it to a Japanese girl, who if recent history is to be trusted, will panic under the biggest spotlight and splat and pop her way to ignominy.

So, for Japanese ladies fans, here's a tip: Send girls to World's who can stand up and EARN you three spots.

You don't hear Americans ranting that Japan should give it's pairs spot to USA. We know our pairs program sucks, and that our Fed needs to work on this. But we're leaving pairs at home that are better than the one you're sending.

And we won't even TALK about dance.

Not to mention that an Olympic berth isn't some sort of coin you can give to whomever you want. USA or Canada can't "give their spot to Japan" because the rules don't work that way.

:eek:topic: I maintain Wakaba was underscored at Worlds. It was kind of pathetic. Wakaba remains way underscored in PCS. I would not have describe her as having choked. If that's choking can I do it every day?

But back on topic...

All skaters have an equal opportunity to earn the spots allocated by their country. It doesn't matter if their country has 3, 2 or 1 spot. If they are the best then they can earn it. That doesn't mean there can't be heartbreak (see above- I will be drinking throughout the ladies free since Wakaba won't be there, I figure it's the best way to honor a James Bond program).

There are many good Russian ladies, but they had 3 spots to fight for. Each of them had an opportunity to make a case over the other throughout the season. I feel very badly for Alaine but she too had many opportunities to prove herself over her competition. I can feel happy for Larkyn at the same time as she has obviously worked really hard.

I don't feel bad for skaters because their country has a limited number of spots- I can be disappointed and sad for them when a skater I really love doesn't earn one of those spots, but that skater was judged the same way as all the others from their country.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If this is a Canadian team's fan thread then yes, I posted it in a wrong place. Should be in the Russian Girls thread instead.... I thought that the fan section has it's own separate place and there are no such requirements in The Edge.

I think that Olympic ladies' thread is where the discussion should go.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: I maintain Wakaba was underscored at Worlds. It was kind of pathetic. Wakaba remains way underscored in PCS. I would not have describe her as having choked. If that's choking can I do it every day?

But back on topic...

All skaters have an equal opportunity to earn the spots allocated by their country. It doesn't matter if their country has 3, 2 or 1 spot. If they are the best then they can earn it. That doesn't mean there can't be heartbreak (see above- I will be drinking throughout the ladies free since Wakaba won't be there, I figure it's the best way to honor a James Bond program).

There are many good Russian ladies, but they had 3 spots to fight for. Each of them had an opportunity to make a case over the other throughout the season. I feel very badly for Alaine but she too had many opportunities to prove herself over her competition. I can feel happy for Larkyn at the same time as she has obviously worked really hard.

I don't feel bad for skaters because their country has a limited number of spots- I can be disappointed and sad for them when a skater I really love doesn't earn one of those spots, but that skater was judged the same way as all the others from their country.

Certainly it is understandable to be sad that one of your favorites won't be going to the Olympics. It's natural. I'm sorry that Cain and LeDuc won't go in pairs - not that they skate well enough yet to merit selection, but because I really enjoy aspects of their skating (although I understand that not all people are fans).

That's very different from wanting other countries to "donate" their spot so that they can go. Not that I'm suggesting that's what you are doing with Wakaba, whom you clearly enjoy (but also, I hope, realize that not all people are fans). In fact, you are taking a sensible view of things.

I think this whole "Give your spots to Japan" thing originated as an offhand jokey remark - and I get that because I also make offhand jokey remarks. But this has spread to numerous threads.

The charm has worn off this joke, and now some contributors actually believe that if some country gave up a spot, then Japan would get it. And... the absurdity of the Canadian or American Federations giving up a spot in favor of a third Japanese lady aside... the rules wouldn't even allow that.

anyanka

Record Breaker
But this happens in sports all the time. For example, in swimming each country is only allowed 2 spots. In some events in the US we've had 6 out of the top 10 in the world. Those other 4 just have to go home and lick their wounds. Olympic competition sometimes values diversity (inclusion of many countries) over unbalanced representations of the best athletes from any one nation. And given the mission of the Olympic movement that completely makes sense. I think the Canadians have good reason to be tired of us going after their ladies:

1. Was there a system in place in place to distribute the Olympic spots? yes
2. Were the rules for that system set out in advance and did everyone have access to said rules? yes
3. Was the system administered in a reckless or unjust manner? no (though some may want to argue this point :dev2:)

Japan's situation is unfortunate. Believe you me I wish Wakaba was at the Olympics. But that's just life and neither Larkyn :biggrin: Canada or the evil ISU :devil: are to blame for that.

You win the thread.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Larkyn is a style icon to me. Go slay the competition, Ms. Austman!

I first took note of her at Skate Canada, and I thought she was such a pretty modern young woman.

I usually oppose capital punishment, but if we can catch whoever gave her Les Mis, I'll bring the noose.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I first took note of her at Skate Canada, and I thought she was such a pretty modern young woman.

I usually oppose capital punishment, but if we can catch whoever gave her Les Mis, I'll bring the noose.
LOL [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Seriously. Who looked at that girl and thought, "I've got JUST the warhorse for you!"

At first, I suggested that B-52s would be a good choice, but I'm leaning towards an iconic female rocker.

Maybe Stevie Nicks?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Seriously. Who looked at that girl and thought, "I've got JUST the warhorse for you!"

At first, I suggested that B-52s would be a good choice, but I'm leaning towards an iconic female rocker.

Maybe Stevie Nicks?

Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, Patty Smyth.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Someone should skate to Stevie Nicks in a wonderful witchy costume!!!!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I noticed that Skate Ontario has put up their events calendar outline for 2018-19 to get clubs (cities?) to bid. Since we care mostly about sectionals and events leading up to that I will focus my discussion on these events.

Unfortunately next season's Minto Summer Skate (if it will still be called that) is still projected to be the largest sectionals qualifying event in Ontario. I'm sure TGee will not be happy to hear this.

Another change: the 2nd qualifying event, this season Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, has had its area widened to include Central Ontario. The event itself is referred to as "Sectionals Series Event #2 - West" though its location is Central-West. Dates are August 16-19, which is one week later than this season. This event ends the week of the first JGP in Slovakia.

But the biggest change is the third event. Normally held the 2nd or 3rd week in August (like event #2 now) in Thornhill and attracting some bigger names in Canadian skating as well as international skaters, it has been moved to the final week of September, September 27-30. Its name right now is "Sectionals Series Event #3 - GTA" and region is Central-West again.
During this week of event #3 there used to be an event in the Ottawa area called Autumn Skate. I am not sure that's happening. The region for this event is also pretty wide, covering Kitchener, Hamilton and as far east as Peterborough. This event is super late and in the middle of both the JGP and the Challenger Series. :think:

Event 4 is still in the Barrie area and it's unlikely to be leaving Allandale Recreation Centre, I would think.

Sectionals themselves are listed as being in the Central Ontario area. This season they were held in Oakville. Dates are November 1-4, 2018.

See a map of the areas I've discussed here
There are more layers on this map for other planned events

Sectionals Series Hosting Chart
Skate Ontario Sectionals Series Categories
Skate Ontario Competition Calendar 2018-2019

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Wow, spot on! She DOES look like her, circa 1990, especially the George Michael "Freedom 90" video. You have a very keen eye!

hehe, thank You:), speaking of top models from 90's I do think that Anna Pogorilaya has something from Claudia Schiffer in her look and Alena Kostornaya (Russian junior lady, 2nd at GPF this season) has features resembling a bit Cindy Crawford (she's even quite similar to Crawford's daughter, Kaia Gerber I think)...

Being back on this 'trade spots market' topic - I think that the basic thing should be not seeing a regret or blame in skaters themselves who are going to Olympics, but to always see an opportunity, one or another. And that's how the system works, no need to make it personalized and inflicted with individual sour grapes spilled over particular skaters - with Larkyn, as Mango probably pointed out already, she earned that 3rd spot and got a chance to go and get more exposure, experience and - hopefully - motivation for further progress, similarly like Gabrielle did in Sochi, which no doubts helped her to reach the point she's in now. If she's not the quality of other 2 Canadian skaters, then we could make a similar argument about multiple skaters from smaller federations, with no significant impact results-wise - but what is the point to do it, when we talk about Olympics? For me, the main thing with them is that there's an opportunity to see and discover/get to know athletes from multiple countries, regardless of their international career records, scores or titles - people will watch them all and judge for themselves, if someone will move them or they will distinguish the difficulty, but the results I feel won't neglect anybody's right to be an Olympian. No matter of how big is their Fed or how many medals they've earned.

Besides, speaking of giving out rightfully earned spots to other countries, some who will see strong 3 Russian Ladies at Olympics like discover them maybe will think 'Hey, they are very good, maybe there's more to discover about Russian Ladies skating, maybe it's worth the attention if I like these 3 now?'. Same could apply to other countries, myself I try to focus on such aspects of Olympic spots and opportunities given to interest more people about the sport

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm sure this has been discussed but, I'm going to ask anyway....Is Patrick skating in the team event? I was thinking they'd have Keegan do it, so that Patrick can save himself for singles. Is that how the team event works? The singles skaters only perform an LP, right?

Ziotic

Medalist
I'm sure this has been discussed but, I'm going to ask anyway....Is Patrick skating in the team event? I was thinking they'd have Keegan do it, so that Patrick can save himself for singles. Is that how the team event works? The singles skaters only perform an LP, right?

I’m certain Patrick will skate both sections of the team event. In his current state he would be lucky to be in the last flight of the singles event. Even though he can sometimes be a bit boastful I’m sure he knows the team is his only chance for gold.