Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ? | Golden Skate

Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Potential skaters :

Patrick Chan
Yuzuru Hanyu (but worlds 2019 are in Japan so he might change his mind)
Javier Fernandez
Nathan Chen ONLY if he has OGM
Ashley Wagner
Carolina Kostner
Savchenko/Massot (if they have the gold)
Duhamel/Radford
Virtue/Moir
Weaver/Poje
Bobrova/Soloviev (they said that they'll take time-off but not "really retiring")
Cappellini/Lanotte
Guignard/Fabbri

For a lot of them that is still speculation ! Anyone else ?

moriel

Record Breaker
I suppose we may see some russian ladies retiring because the field is too deep.

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
Potential skaters :

Patrick Chan
Yuzuru Hanyu (but worlds 2019 are in Japan so he might change his mind)
Javier Fernandez
Nathan Chen ONLY if he has OGM
Ashley Wagner
Carolina Kostner
Savchenko/Massot (if they have the gold)
Duhamel/Radford
Virtue/Moir
Weaver/Poje
Bobrova/Soloviev (they said that they'll take time-off but not "really retiring")
Cappellini/Lanotte
Guignard/Fabbri

For a lot of them that is still speculation ! Anyone else ?

Nathan Chen?!?! Really? Even with the OGM, why so early? Did he said something?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plus i think even Nathan knows that his body can't possibly hold up for another 4 years if he keeps doing as many quads as he is doing right now.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Plus i think even Nathan knows that his body can't possibly hold up for another 4 years if he keeps doing as many quads as he is doing right now.

No, but he could take 2 years off and come back for the 20-21 season to make a push for Beijing. His technical content should still be more than competitive at that time.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
From an interview (if someone finds it it'll be nice)
He wants to go to school too.

I remember reading this, too ... that he has a timetable that includes school & advanced degrees, and has no wish to delay that for a long competitive skating career.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Thanks for answer. It would be a shame and a loss for the sport, he is so talented ... but only he knows what's best for him.

Yeah, if he retired after 2018, it'd be before he'd become a fully developed skater. Look how far Yuzu has maturrd and improved since Sochi. I hope Nathan stays. I had him, Shoma and Boyang pegged as dominant forces post PC to Beijing.

I guess this is what Patrick should be morr concerned about, not young skaters' health but their retirement way before maturing.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't think Hanyu will retire. He wants to land 4A in competition and this is plan after Oly

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
To be honest, it sounds like a plan. Go in, snag the Gold and leave. You surely won't become the greatest of all time like this, but it worked for a a lot of Ladies skaters in the past. I think that's the reason why Aratunian looked so displeased at Nathan's PCS. They had a plan on where they wanted to be at the end of this season, and it didn't quite work out. I wouldn't worry too much, though. Nathan won 4CC which was the Olympic Test event and in February. If he's having another season like this, it can become reality. Worlds 2018 simply won't be that important.

andromache

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold said she would retire after 2018.

I think that's an outdated interview. At this point with the upheavals and changes she has faced in her career, she might decide to continue.

In a recent interview with Ashley Wagner, Ashley said that she would've retired after 2010 if she had made the Olympic team, and would've considered just being on the team to be the peak and endpoint of her career - which means that not making the team was the best thing that could've happened to her. Very interesting how these things work out.

moriel

Record Breaker
Do you think that if someone like Anna or Liza gets a medal, they'll retire ?

I think Sotnikova might too.

Well, I think Leonova and Sakhanovich may retire based on their results (with the current juniors turning seniors, those two may have trouble with funding, GPs and so on).
I think that Lipnitskaya may retire before 2018 (last interview with urmanov sounded like she is yet to decide if she retires or keeps skating)

I think Sotnikova will not retire but will linger forever training and saying she will be back next season.

I also don´t think that any of the ladies will retire if they get a medal - they are all fighters, thats not just their style. Cannot imagine them retiring just because they got an oly gold.