2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Kittosuni

Medalist
Starting poses from new programs in Tutberidze group (Zagitova, Tarakanova, Medvedeva):
https://pp.userapi.com/c638625/v638625935/7116d/YEI3cIL29EI.jpg

The group finished training camp in Novogorsk:
https://pp.userapi.com/c837732/v837732317/584c4/t3WypkD77oI.jpg

This must be the short program opening poses since Zagitova is doing that famous Swan pose.

Medvedeva is obviously going for that calm but rock solid aura. I can just imagine her in that opening pose just deep breathing while her eyes closed for like 7 seconds into her program while the camera is just focused on her face. :love:

If you think you have seen enough pantomiming from Zhenya, watch as she up the ante coupled with more drama. Girl is going extra and people are going to be triggered :yahoo:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What of Fedichkina, Gubanova? They both are so musical!!! I have a horrible feeling that both will fall in the standings next season.😔😫 artistry doesn't always mean very much if your jump technique is iffy.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What of Fedichkina, Gubanova? They both are so musical!!! I have a horrible feeling that both will fall in the standings next season.😔😫 artistry doesn't always mean very much if your jump technique is iffy.

Gubanova looks ready to slay!!
https://pp.userapi.com/c638916/v638916457/6254a/oIZ2ZamXNh4.jpg

I think it's funny that it was Benoît Richard who took the pic and posted it to his story :laugh:

FWIW: She had some really great and clean FS's last season when it mattered. I think they messed up by not sending her to JWC but thats neither here nor there. She managed a silver medal at JGPF with a serious error in the SP. I haven't lost the faith in her.

Isn't Alisa turning senior??

tars

Record Breaker
^I hoped Russian girls won't get infected with that stupid photo-animalistic trend, well... :eek:hwell:

Gubanova has had busy off-season, maybe she has corrected/mastered her jumping technique.
Will Alina Zagitova become new '15yo daughter of Russia' in Pyeongchang? :)
Gulyakova and Trusova for first JGP in Brisbane. :popcorn:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
^I hoped Russian girls won't get infected with that stupid photo-animalistic trend, well... :eek:hwell:

Gubanova has had busy off-season, maybe she has corrected/mastered her jumping technique.
Will Alina Zagitova become new '15yo daughter of Russia' in Pyeongchang? :)
Gulyakova and Trusova for first JGP in Brisbane. :popcorn:

It depends how she will do. Right now Med is number 1 in Russia but remember that juniors don't get as much coverage as senior so who knows. Besides now situation is different. Before Sochi situation in Russian ladies' field was really bad so Yulia winning all possible events in Olympic season was definitely a new chance Russian figure skating so she got all media coverage possible. Now the field is really deep and Russia has so many successful figure skaters in seniors and juniors. Novice skaters are really promising too so Dark Times of Ladies' field in Russia are gone.

I'm so nervous about Gubanova's jumps. She has amazing artistry and if she improved her technical skills she would be really strong contender for next JGPF and JWC.

I can't wait for Gulyakova's and Tsurova's performances in Brisbane. I wish them all the best <3

tars

Record Breaker
I'm asking, because as nice of a person Zhenya is, Alina seems more suited for the role - cute, fragile, younger girl from provincional poor family, travelled hundreds of miles to reach her dream in Moscow, injured many times with broken hands, legs, cast away by Eteri, taken back. Now, facing great feds favourite, Zhenya (like Adelina four years ago). It has so many common themes with Yulia's path, it's stunning.

Brave little kid living all alone in Moscow with her babushka, missing mom and dad and fighting for her Olympic dream against all odds... Will Russia embrace her new daughter? :sad21:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I'm asking, because as nice of a person Zhenya is, Alina seems more suited for the role - cute, fragile, younger girl from provincional poor family, travelled hundred of miles away to reach her dream in Moscow, injured many times with broken hands, legs, cast away by Eteri, taken back. Now, facing great feds favourite, Zhenya (like Adelina four years ago). It has so many common themes with Yulia's path, it's stunning.

Brave little kid living all alone in Moscow with her babushka, missing mom and dad and fighting for her Olympic dream against all odds... Hug me, Russia! :sad21:

Yeah... it's definitely a dreams come true story. Girls who was ready to come back home with her belongings already packed was giver a second chance and made it to the absolute top. If she wins OGM it really will be movie worth material. Also Alina's story shows how much young skaters sacrifice: we all see them how fierce they are on ice and how they have 3-4 minutes to show how much they learn through hard, hard work. We don't see how they have to grow up quicker, how much time they spend without their family or how how they don't have occasion to make friends outside the rink. I know that Deniss Vasiljevs is a similar case as he lived in Sochi without his parents when he trained with Urmanov.
I also love how humble Alina seems to be. She is amazing technically and I want to watch her grow artistically (it's why I'm worried about Black Swan program). I read that Kolyada and Aliev have "sparring" training sessions and I thought it would be great is Gubanova and Zagitova had something like that. Anastasia would look at Alina's jump technique and Alina would observe Nastya's artistry :biggrin:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Yeah... it's definitely a dreams come true story. Girls who was ready to come back home with her belongings already packed was giver a second chance and made it to the absolute top. If she wins OGM it really will be movie worth material. Also Alina's story shows how much young skaters sacrifice: we all see them how fierce they are on ice and how they have 3-4 minutes to show how much they learn through hard, hard work. We don't see how they have to grow up quicker, how much time they spend without their family or how how they don't have occasion to make friends outside the rink. I know that Deniss Vasiljevs is a similar case as he lived in Sochi without his parents when he trained with Urmanov.
I also love how humble Alina seems to be. She is amazing technically and I want to watch her grow artistically (it's why I'm worried about Black Swan program). I read that Kolyada and Aliev have "sparring" training sessions and I thought it would be great is Gubanova and Zagitova had something like that. Anastasia would look at Alina's jump technique and Alina would observe Nastya's artistry :biggrin:

Yes, definitely!!! Since Alina will probably dominate next season I'd prefer for her to have a more artistic look, she doesn't look polished.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It's hard to imagine now that Alina can win over Evgeniya. Silver? Sure. If her season is a success she will build a good pcs base, like 33 - 34 in SP and 66 - 68 in FP. With her crazy tech this will be enough for silver but gold? Well, in the event of Medvedeva's meltdown she can be an OGM contender but I hope nothing bad happens to Zhenya.

Of course, there is competition for silver. But Osmond and Miyahara have to show improvements throughout the season to get even bigger pcs cushion over Alina than they are already expected to have (I would say 5-7 points combined) or they have to show twice the skates of their lives.

Another news is that Stasya Konstantinova will stay junior yet another season. She is a total outlier in the modern Russian FS: she is in fact older than double world senior champion Medvedeva. There are rumors that it was partially done to keep her off the third CoR sport which is planned for either Adelina or Yulia.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What do you think seems unpolished about her? I find her to be very finished, relative to the current field of top women.

Well, her moves are quick and jerky. She doesn't flow across the ice. And she doesn't always hit the beats of the music in her footwork and choreography. Now, her jumps are amazing. I even like her rippon jumps.

Sam L

Medalist
I just had this random thought. With so many great students under her, could Eteri Tutberidze be the Agrippina Vaganova of the Figure Skating world? Could there be a Tutberidze Method named after her?

Tutto

Record Breaker
I just had this random thought. With so many great students under her, could Eteri Tutberidze be the Agrippina Vaganova of the Figure Skating world? Could there be a Tutberidze Method named after her?

A Tutberidze Method? Really? I'd think one needs a bit more than just exploiting the system by backloading and tanos...