Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: 2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    In general, i dunno... Everything is possible.
    But, in current field, Lipnitskaya wouldnt stand a chance even in her prime.
    Also, i agree that it would make sense, from russian's fed perspective, to rather give chance to new talents, since that would be an investment in the next cycle, and we don´t even know if Yulia will skate in 2017-18 season. So lets say, if Yulia is rougly tied with Polina T, Sotskova, Konstantinova or Gubanova, it makes all sense to send one of the younger ladies and not her. Basically because they have more skating time ahead of them, so its a sort of investment in the future. Also, its very likely that Medvedeva will be in the team, so there are no commercial / marketing reasons either, since Med and her medals will promote the sport well enough.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    In general, i dunno... Everything is possible.
    But, in current field, Lipnitskaya wouldnt stand a chance even in her prime.
    Also, i agree that it would make sense, from russian's fed perspective, to rather give chance to new talents, since that would be an investment in the next cycle, and we don´t even know if Yulia will skate in 2017-18 season. So lets say, if Yulia is rougly tied with Polina T, Sotskova, Konstantinova or Gubanova, it makes all sense to send one of the younger ladies and not her. Basically because they have more skating time ahead of them, so its a sort of investment in the future. Also, its very likely that Medvedeva will be in the team, so there are no commercial / marketing reasons either, since Med and her medals will promote the sport well enough.
    Gubanova is not senior eligible yet. From the last season's juniors, Konstantinova, Tsurskaya, Feditchkina and Zagitova are age eligible.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Gubanova is not senior eligible yet. From the last season's juniors, Konstantinova, Tsurskaya, Feditchkina and Zagitova are age eligible.
    Oh yeah forgot that... I´ve seen she´s 2002 as Zagi and thought she would be.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    I think the Olympic contenders in Russia can be broken down into groups:

Group 1 (Locks)
    Medvedeva

Group 2 (likely to comprise the last 2 spots)
    Zagitova

Pogorilaya
    Sotskova
    Radionova

Group 3 (outsiders with a chance to make the team)
    Tuktamysheva
    Tsurskaya
    Lipnitskaya
    Sotnikova (if she comes back)

Group 4:
    Everyone else

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post

Group 1 (Locks)
    Medvedeva

Zagitova

Pogorilaya
    Sotskova
    Radionova

Tuktamysheva
    Tsurskaya
    Lipnitskaya

Group 4:
    Everyone else
    I would actually put Tsurskaya in group 2 for now (until we have updates on her health status), as she it totally capable of it when healthy.

But then i suppose we need to wait for the test skates to see what happens. Test skates will probably make it quite clear - whoever bombs test skates is out.
    If Zagitova skates clean at test skates, she is probably a lock too (because damn, this girl, she has momentum and TES, and Eteri is capable of polishing her enough to get decent PCs - and russian fed already showed they will support her at nationals this year).

I´m actually worried about Pogo, because i´m pretty sure Buyanova will get one of her girls into the Oly team. When she had just Sotskova, it was less likely. Now with 2 skaters, if one of them falters, the other one will do well.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutto View Post
    Is it a hearsay or you have some info? I am interested cos its something I've sort of expected to hear for some time based on Eteri & Polina's mother recent statements
    Hearsay and a lot of curiosity. It seems really possible that Polina is going to change coaches and I heard mention of CSKA and I keep seeing posts with her and Masha hanging out, getting passports, and that type of thing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I keep seeing posts with her and Masha hanging out, getting passports, and that type of thing.
    But that's because they are really good friends since Junior Olympics. I wouldn't read too much into at least this part. If Polina does switch who is the rumored coach? Inna G, Sokolovskaya, Buyanova or Dayvdov?

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post

Group 1 (Locks)
    Medvedeva

Zagitova

Pogorilaya
    Sotskova
    Radionova

Tuktamysheva
    Tsurskaya
    Lipnitskaya

Group 4:
    Everyone else
    Groups 1 and 2 coincide with the main team - group 3 with the reserve team. The only exception is Leonova who is in reserve team: she is eternal. I just hope she can still find her inspiration - at least get to her 2014-15 form when she could even get a GP podium.

1 Not allowed!
    Actually, I can see them sending Leonova with the team to the Olys...

...as a chaperone I mean.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    I sort of concur with you. Yulia's problem is much more than injuries though. It is even a big question mark at the moment whether she will continue. Even healthy, it is hard for her to continue. I can understand the feeling of falling from the very top to the point losing triples. Lenova is the opposite, she never gives up and is fighter, but her times are just gone. Even her peak world silver performance a few years ago can hardly put her on Russian ladies' podium now.

Polina's jumps are on a whole different level. So her problem is mostly injury, though we don't know whether she will just periodically injure herself.

Before getting injured, Lipnitskaya had 2 bad seasons in a row, no matter what happened. Last time she scored over 200 was in 2014. Ok, she was injured in 2016. In 2015, she didnt make worlds or GPF. She has a 3 season story of bombing the FS pretty much every time.
    Tsurskaya had one bad season (which was still better than last season for Yulia, as Polina made the Jr. Worlds team and got Gold at her both GPs).

I really dont get why people keep putting such high hopes on Lipnitskaya right now.

0 Not allowed!
    Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Sakhanovich... even after their winning days passed their appeal as performers improved. Injuries and TES aside, their matured skating has something to offer. I would like to be able to see it.

Pogorilaya and Radionova finally became interesting. Sotskova knows she must do the same. But it's always new junior wunderkinds skating juniorish. Hopefully with Evgenia we'll finally see a skater reach her technical and artistic peak at the same time.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Lipnitskaya showed remarkable form last season, she was just tripping everywhere and breaking her legs, however I don't want to lose hope that she could at least set a good impression next season.
    Last edited by lavoix; Yesterday at 11:54 PM.

Team Anna Squared before it was cool andromache's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    As long as Alena, Sima, and Yulia get something out of continuing to train and perform and compete, I don't see why they shouldn't. If they continue to find joy and satisfaction in it even without the medals, then why not? But I imagine that it is very difficult to continue to do so while knowing that you will likely never again be among the best even though you used to be, and wondering if your time would be better spent on education or something else non-skating related.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andromache View Post
    As long as Alena, Sima, and Yulia get something out of continuing to train and perform and compete, I don't see why they shouldn't. If they continue to find joy and satisfaction in it even without the medals, then why not? But I imagine that it is very difficult to continue to do so while knowing that you will likely never again be among the best even though you used to be, and wondering if your time would be better spent on education or something else non-skating related.
    Its not like we claim they should retire.
    But their olympic chances arent very bright.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Its not like we claim they should retire.
    But their olympic chances arent very bright.
    Sakhanovich could switch country. She is young enough that sitting out a year or two won't hurt her. And for some countries (especially the ex Soviet Union countries) she could get citizenship relatively easy, so her Olympic chances would not be that bad.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10