2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
YESS! I knew Leonova would get a GP. SHE GOT TWO!!! Skate America, I get to see my girl again. YESS :yahoo:

Rostelecom
Medvedeva
Radionova
TBD

SC
Pogo
Sotskova

CoC
Radionova
Tukt
Zagitova

NHK
Medvedeva
Tsurskaya
Leonova

France
Sotskova
Tukt
Zagitova

SA
Leonova
Pogorilaya
Tsurskaya

TBD will be Sima, Julia, Adelina, or Stanislava. Guess it will be decided sometimes during/before Test skates.

Grand prix document http://static.isu.org/media/516604/gp_ladies.pdf

I am mostly worried for Pogo. She can earn two medals or no medals at all. Canadian fed is clearly betting on Kaetlyn Osmond which skates always at her homecountry and she could be the favourite to win this season, but i feel both Ashley Wagner and Karen Chen will also supported there, and Marin Honda is another strong contender, and then again similar situation at Skate America against Wagner, Chen, Daleman and Miyahara.

Also i feel Sotskova could be overshadowed by Radionova this season, while i'm very happy for Liza: Cup of China is her best event (she has always perfomed well there) and TDF is also good although the competition at these two events is going to be insane.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Welcome to the Game, RusFed. Here is the question:

You have two free spots. Who will you choose? To whom will you give two spots?

a) Adelina Sotnikova
b) Stanislava Konstantinova
c) (also potentially Alisa Fedichkina - it will be a bad decision to stay in juniors for her and Yulia Lipnitskaya her status is unknown)
d) Alena Leonova

Hmm, let me guess...

To Leonova! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I wonder, what's the status of Fedichkina, Konstantinova and Lozko?
Are the feds waiting till test skates and to which ones (junior, senior) are they gonna invite them? :think:

Once promising junior Proklova is probably retiring (pair coach Vasiliev info):
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1051608385.html

I think Konstantinova has a good shot at getting a GP, right? Tsurtskaya placed lower than her at both junior nationals and junior worlds.

Whatever happened to Alexandra proklova?!?! I remember her.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I am mostly worried for Pogo. She can earn two medals or no medals at all. Canadian fed is clearly betting on Kaetlyn Osmond which skates always at her homecountry and she could be the favourite to win this season, but i feel both Ashley Wagner and Karen Chen will also supported there, and Marin Honda is another strong contender, and then again similar situation at Skate America against Wagner, Chen, Daleman and Miyahara.

Also i feel Sotskova could be overshadowed by Radionova this season, while i'm very happy for Liza: Cup of China is her best event (she has always perfomed well there) and TDF is also good although the competition at these two events is going to be insane.

I don't know what to even think of radionova and next season. New coach, and the jumps ...... can she make the Final? The thing I like about her is her personality, her commitment to whatever she's skating to. But I hate her flailing! It's worse than almost anyone's. If that isn't fixed by the new coach I can't say I'll care if she doesn't make the Final.

LRK

Record Breaker

a) Adelina Sotnikova
c) (also potentially Alisa Fedichkina - it will be a bad decision to stay in juniors for her and Yulia Lipnitskaya her status is unknown)
d) Alena Leonova

Hmm, let me guess...

Not Alena - she's already got two spots.

ETA - Sorry, it seems I may have misunderstood. I was thinking of host spots, since those are the ones the Rus fed has to "give" (whatever behind-the-scenes negotiations may go on between feds notwithstanding.)

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

a) Adelina Sotnikova
d) Alena Leonova

Hmm, let me guess...

Yeah but she earned at least 1 by placing top 24 SB at her very last qualifying event.

Stanislava let it slip away by not topping her current SB due to a poor performance at Junior Worlds leading to several skaters knocking her out the top 24.

Adelina has no SB and its too late to use her returning skater status.

Like I stated previously, Fedichkina had no chance, SB lower than Julia's. Very bad luck for Fedichkina though, her best competition internationally didn't count because for Challengers only senior scores count.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Konstantinova has a good shot at getting a GP, right? Tsurtskaya placed lower than her at both junior nationals and junior worlds.

Not really. Junior nationals doesn't determine GP spots. Polina may have had a bad Junior Worlds but her SB was high, a lot higher than Stanislava so that's why she got 2. The only spot Stanislava can hope for is Rostelecom (host spot) which will be decided at test skates. It's between her, Julia, Sima, and Adelina. The rest of the events are max out for Russian entries minus SC (which only has a host spot open).

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Fedichkina I am pretty sure is staying in Juniors. Stasya is a big question mark at the moment. Looks like they still haven't decided what to do with her.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Ugh they need to stop sending Leonova anywhere. I much prefer to see other Russian skaters.

I do hope to see Lipnitskaya.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Whatever happened to Alexandra proklova?!?! I remember her.

I really liked Proklova in 2013-14 Russian Nationals but she has struggled with injuries unfortunately, she switched to pairs with Andrei Deputat but reportedly is injured again and I'm not sure if she's training right now. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked Proklova in 2013-14 Russian Nationals but she has struggled with injuries unfortunately, she switched to pairs with Andrei Deputat but reportedly is injured again and I'm not sure if she's training right now. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Vasiliev said she has a weak back and ankles and her transition to pairs was harder than expected so she will probably retire. Deputat has moved on to another partner or still looking. I posted the article today in her fan thread.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Ugh they need to stop sending Leonova anywhere. I much prefer to see other Russian skaters.

I do hope to see Lipnitskaya.
Lipnitskaya will probably get the host spot if she is ready, but right now it's not even certain she can continue skating because of her injury.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Lipnitskaya will probably get the host spot if she is ready, but right now it's not even certain she can continue skating because of her injury.

Ummmm ... I've seen video with her recent training so I assume that she continues.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I think for the time being Yulia needs to get it together, become consistent, and just become confident in her skating. Missing out this entire quad since Sochi has not done her justice, however I think she can at least obtain the Rostelecom spot if she does well at the test skates. She's still young, she can still do wonders for figure skating.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think for the time being Yulia needs to get it together, become consistent, and just become confident in her skating. Missing out this entire quad since Sochi has not done her justice, however I think she can at least obtain the Rostelecom spot if she does well at the test skates. She's still young, she can still do wonders for figure skating.

This isn't as important as fans think it is, even in Russia. Anna and Maria and Liza have all stayed in the conversation, despite being inconsistent. Although Liza hasn't been on the world team in 2 years, I would say that Yulia, or any lady, would be lucky and very talented and hard-working to be where Liza is right now. Tsurskaya has struggled but she's still in the mix.

Yulia needs to put together two halfway-decent programs. She can make one mistake in the SP and 2-3 in the LP and it will still be a major improvement.

She needs to love skating and find joy in performing. She'll probably never again have the consistency and proficiency of the little girl in the red coat, but she's an adult now, who has experienced a lot of highs and lows for someone her age, and I bet she can perform and interpret music and story with more depth and nuance than she did in 2014.

It's worked for Leonova, and Yulia can work to be at her technical level (which is pretty mediocre as far as jumps are concerned - way better at spins) and be a better performer, too.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I thought Yulia's problem is more of the loss/regain of her jumps than being inconsistent with all triples in her capacity. On a good day, an inconsistent skater can do amazingly well like Karen Chen. But if you lost your jumps, that's another story.

The question now is to what extent Yulia has got all of her jumps back.