2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 182 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Grin

Medalist
I wish Poland would have even a couple of those Russian babies in our figure skating. Total drought. As far as I know there is no even girl at all in Poland right now (no matter the category) that would attempt 3F let alone landing such jump :( 3Lz is like a daydream.

Those landing triples of any sort you can count on two hands.
Probably, figure skating is less popular in Poland. I have friends, whose daughters are training in rhythmic gymnastics and in figure skating. It's really very popular in Russia.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
The problem is money. Government is almost no interested in supporting promising skaters. Besides we have no tradition of figure skating. Polish National Winter Sport is ski jumping

Oh man, that must be hard.
Even in the US we have a tradition of figure skating. But you pretty much have to pay for everything yourself. Reading Sasha Cohen's autobiography was a real eye-opener.

Good luck!

moriel

Record Breaker
Probably, figure skating is less popular in Poland. I have friends, whose daughters are training in rhythmic gymnastics and in figure skating. It's really very popular in Russia.

Yep, popular and accessible, to a point where a very significant portion of girls do some figure skating at some point.
Considering most of russia is basically a flat plain, there are 3 things you can do in winter:
1 hockey,but thats not really for girls
2 skiing, not so girly because most trails are in very large parks or even forests outside the city, which is kinda meh and may be perceived as dangerous. For example at my hometown, the ski trails are in the very same area where my relatives told 30 years old me not to visit during summer because there is a maniac. Also, the daylight is limited, and most of the trails have no illumination, which means it can be done in a rather short part of the day (and at a time parents are at work ;))
3 figure skating - much more supervised, can be done in the evening.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
does Poland have ice rinks at all?

I'd rather ask whether Poland has ice rinks exclusively for figure skaters. Even the Russian coaches complain that hockey teams occupy every patch of ice they can lay their hands upon.

For example at my hometown, the ski trails are in the very same area where my relatives told 30 years old me not to visit during summer because there is a maniac.

I'm the same age, and I also go skiing to a forest with a maniac. :)

Grin

Medalist
I read it with google translate but she seems really open minded in this interview.
She was open-minded, the key point is how hard an person should work to achieve smth, lamented lack of boys among skaters. Looks like typical Eteri to me

Mawwerg

Final Flight
For me the most intresting part is about falls. Maybe it's because she's declared her opinion on other topics in previous interviews.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
lamented lack of boys among skaters.

I think her problem is the age of her students and her own: while girls see her as a role model, boys see her only as a model of an annoying parent. I'm pretty sure that in 10-15 years we will learn from her that the situation with boys in Russia has greatly improved. ;)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Looking through couple of last novice tourneys.
Those b. 2005+ Russian babies seem to be weaker than 1996-2004 ones, don't you think? :think:

Golden generation will probably dominate till 2022 and then Japanese and Koreans take over next quad, until "Lipnitskaya's children" born 2010+ arrive...
Ah, I shouldn't have missed this post. Thanks to the one who quoted it a moment ago.

Yes, for sure. At this point there would usually have been a very young pre-junior age lady absolutely slaying the Russia Cups as has been the case for most of the years before now. Especially the age group after Shcherbakova's, Trusova's and Kostornaya's seems very weak, as does the one after that. A total of zero skaters there who I'm truly excited about at this point. Even the one after that doesn't seem all that exciting to me, really. So the only age group that's "relatively close" that has some skaters to be really excited for would probably be Akatieva's, though I'm not even that high on her either at this point. But she's not junior eligible until 2021-2022, I believe. Even the girls born 2009-2011 look much more interesting than the soon upcoming age groups. Now, cases like Zagitova are always possible but I wouldn't bank on it.

It's hard to say what the reason for this is, specifically. I assume you're correct in that the apparently stronger extremely young age groups would have been inpired by Lipnitskaya(Or Sotnikova, maybe even Radionova). And I assume the age groups would only continue being stronger after that points what with Medvedeva's success, especially if a Russian wins the Olympic gold. There was a bit of a dark time with Russian figure skating and I guess that the youngest girls weren't inspired as much at that point in time.

Another thing I can think of that definitely would hurt is a mega prodigy like Sofia Bogdanova(august 2005) switching off figure skating for a different sport. Having one every year isn't even a given and losing someone like that can ruin an entire age group. I'm not going to say she'd quite have been a Kim Yuna-tier talent but sheesh is she impressive. Even so, that still doesn't really explain the other adjacent age groups seemingly being so weak.

Several of the past years, I've often found myself thinking "Just wait until these girls can skate in juniors next year" so right now it does feel a little empty in that regard as I'm not looking forward to anyone.

Even so... I'm confident there will at least be some relatively bright surprises even if they don't end up being the brightest of stars.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm not the biggest fan of Kanysheva but she seems to be promising and will be junior eligible next year.
Yeah, other than that... I don't really know.
I'm rooting for Elizaveta Medvedeva because she's such a cutie but I don't know.

I hope a Zagitova situation happens.

madison

Record Breaker
I'm not the biggest fan of Kanysheva but she seems to be promising and will be junior eligible next year.
Yeah, other than that... I don't really know.
I'm rooting for Elizaveta Medvedeva because she's such a cutie but I don't know.

I hope a Zagitova situation happens.

There are already too many talents in ladies... I just prefer to have these skaters for longer and to give them time to grow up. So I'm ok if there isn't a striking talent or more talents every year.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Another thing I can think of that definitely would hurt is a mega prodigy like Sofia Bogdanova(august 2005) switching off figure skating for a different sport. Having one every year isn't even a given and losing someone like that can ruin an entire age group.

Who is Sofia Bogdanova? You mean her? If so, the world is really small. But I don't get how she relates with figure skating. I tried to find her at fskate and sportvokrug - nothing. At fskate even Stephan Gogolev is exist, why she isn't? Where are any videos of figure skating with her? And some results?

And this is not so bad actually. Kamila Valieva has a gorgeous potential but she should leave her coaches and move to Eteri or Svetlana. She can't skate clean, Eteri can teach her. Also, there are girls: Daria Usacheva and Maya Khromykh have nice potential. Not A but B or B+ for sure. The last one, Maya, you can see the reference in her skating with Pogorilaya. That's because she trains in Tsareva's school.

Today was the last day of Rainbow Cup or whatever, I had no time to check all girls but captured this one. She has nice skating skills (beautiful deep edges) but what the hell with her arms position in the air? Don't know who is she and how old is.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are already too many talents in ladies... I just prefer to have these skaters for longer and to give them time to grow up. So I'm ok if there isn't a striking talent or more talents every year.

If Nastya Gubanchik doesn't make it to seniors then I'm booking a flight to Russia and protesting outside of all of the rinks and sports federations!! No Nastya No Peace!!! I'll bring my stupid American chants and slogans and all that :mad:

Grin

Medalist
If Nastya Gubanchik doesn't make it to seniors then I'm booking a flight to Russia and protesting outside of all of the rinks and sports federations!! No Nastya No Peace!!! I'll bring my stupid American chants and slogans and all that :mad:

She will be very surprised that she in known across the ocean )