2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Medvedeva's lutz discussion is one of the most (if not the most) tiresome ones here. Yet it is very popular among some of the board members to keep it alive and come back to it over and over again.

Eclair

Medalist
Why almost everyone's wrong edges were ignored at worlds this year (in the ladies event)? The only ones who mentioned it were commentators from brits esp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fair judging but let's not pretend that Evgenia is the only skater who's not getting her edges called

It's not like all wrong edges and UR were ignored. It was the edges and UR of skaters with reputation or powerful feds/ coaches that were ignored, while you can bet that there was no room for skaters like Broklee Han, Kalian Krane, Zijun Li, Mae Berenice etc. etc.

The top competitors should be judged THE HARSHEST, not the most easygoing. I'm so fed up with ladies judging I've stopped following ladies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Medvedeva's lutz discussion is one of the most (if not the most) tiresome ones here. Yet it is very popular among some of the board members to keep it alive and come back to it over and over again.

I agree. There is no way that the other feds would let Med "get away" with flutzing internationally. Also, the tech caller's come from several different countries and I doubt they'd still have jobs if there were giving Evgenia a pass and calling other skaters for the same infraction.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I agree. There is no way that the other feds would let Med "get away" with flutzing internationally. Also, the tech caller's come from several different countries and I doubt they'd still have jobs if there were giving Evgenia a pass and calling other skaters for the same infraction.

I guess there is also another factor. We can watch the programs as many times as we want in slow motion or we can magnify picture so it easy for us to spot mistakes. The technician watches it in real time and later he/she can probably repeat it no more than 2-3 times on tablet. The same with judges. Also I doubt mysterious "power of federation" is in game here as Rika Hongo had 2 or 3 UR called in her FS in Helsinki just like Maria Sotskova and Ashley Wagner.

And maybe Evgenia has terrible lutz and flutzes sometimes but she isn't acting like it isn't a problem (and with her scores she could). She knows her skating isn't perfect and she tries to fix it.

Ender

Match Penalty
I guess there is also another factor. We can watch the programs as many times as we want in slow motion or we can magnify picture so it easy for us to spot mistakes. The technician watches it in real time and later he/she can probably repeat it no more than 2-3 times on tablet. The same with judges. Also I doubt mysterious "power of federation" is in game here as Rika Hongo had 2 or 3 UR called in her FS in Helsinki just like Maria Sotskova and Ashley Wagner.

And maybe Evgenia has terrible lutz and flutzes sometimes but she isn't acting like it isn't a problem (and with her scores she could). She knows her skating isn't perfect and she tries to fix it.
I think it also has to do with medal contender position. For example if you're in the top 3-5 skaters who might medal after the short program, the chance is that you will get more lenient calls in the free program.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When are the test skates? Do we have any information on Alina's programs?

Yeah, her programs were posted in the program thread.
SP Black Swan (Clint Mansell) and Moonlight ("the middle of the world")
LP Don Quixote

Sam L

Medalist
Yeah, her programs were posted in the program thread.
SP Black Swan (Clint Mansell) and Moonlight ("the middle of the world")
LP Don Quixote

Thank all I saw. What about Masha? Absolutely adored her Kalinka

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Why almost everyone's wrong edges were ignored at worlds this year (in the ladies event)? The only ones who mentioned it were commentators from brits esp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fair judging but let's not pretend that Evgenia is the only skater who's not getting her edges called

I certainly agree that they should always be called and no matter the skater that judges are far too lenient... But that's very clear for Medvedeva's lutz and it really should be called as incorrect edge essentially every single time.

It's really a shame that this aspect doesn't seem to be worth anything anymore because I for one find it quite impressive at this point when a skater actually has correct edges on all their jumps. But I guess that in itself means that it's currently quite a sad state of affairs. This leniency affects new skaters' will to actually learn the correct edges and makes so many skaters just not care, which in turn causes some of these jumps to have very glaring flaws that jump right at you and make them difficult to enjoy and appreciate.

Again, I'm not trying to single Medvedeva out for this and think that it should be called strictly for everyone, but Medvedeva's got the most blatant case out of all the top ladies I can think of.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Sigh....is this really necessary? ..................
The trend of the passed season is: "I am not Medevedeva's hater...but"
Yes, we all know that her lutz is imperfect. But same is true with Osmond, Daleman, Higuchi, Mihara and many many others. And Medvedeva is the only one who put Lutz only once in 2 programs.... not 3 times like the others. :noshake: and she's really been working on improving her lutz edge.

Pretty good shape. :agree:

Do we have any information on Anna's and Elena's music?

tars

Record Breaker
Starting poses from new programs in Tutberidze group (Zagitova, Tarakanova, Medvedeva):
https://pp.userapi.com/c638625/v638625935/7116d/YEI3cIL29EI.jpg

The group finished training camp in Novogorsk:
https://pp.userapi.com/c837732/v837732317/584c4/t3WypkD77oI.jpg

Poor Anya Shcherbakova ("quad-girl") with broken leg and the bear gift from the group:
https://pp.userapi.com/c638120/v638120967/5517f/zVVzGoBiEgA.jpg

Maria Sotskova's "Kalinka" from DOI show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56F3OPCizHA

Liza Nugumanova finished improving jumps in US under Rafael A.:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWlldzUAGa9/?taken-by=liza_nugumanova_

Lena Radionova teaching kids:
https://vk.com/video-34659612_456239374?list=8655efbb333077313d

atsumiri

Record Breaker