2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
A Tutberidze Method? Really? I'd think one needs a bit more than just exploiting the system by backloading and tanos...

I think she does much more than that. Her skaters are among the best performers in the skating world. Outside of Kaetlyn Osmond and Ashley Wagner, her skaters have been at, or near the top of sport for the last 3 years. She's smart, tough as nails, and gorgeous. She's kind of like Tatiana Tarasova junior.

Ender

Match Penalty
^I hoped Russian girls won't get infected with that stupid photo-animalistic trend, well... :eek:hwell:

Gubanova has had busy off-season, maybe she has corrected/mastered her jumping technique.
Will Alina Zagitova become new '15yo daughter of Russia' in Pyeongchang? :)
Gulyakova and Trusova for first JGP in Brisbane. :popcorn:
It's hard to say. To catch the eyes of general audience, you should have something memorable like
- programs the audience connect with
- special looks that make people remember her among the mass, something right at the right time and the right place, like Lipnitkaya's red dress.
- the unusual spark that some people call it star quality.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Read article on FS Gossips that Stanislava is staying junior. But then there was a sentence about her going to cup of Russia. As in, rostelecom cup??? Allowed to do both junior and senior Grand Prixs??

How are Adelina and Julia looking? Many think one of them will get the TBD.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As in, rostelecom cup??? Allowed to do both junior and senior Grand Prixs??

The Cup of Russia is used as qualification for nationals. She can also qualify to senior nationals if she makes the JGPF. And no, you can't do junior and senior GP.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's hard to say. To catch the eyes of general audience, you should have something memorable like
- programs the audience connect with
- special looks that make people remember her among the mass, something right at the right time and the right place, like Lipnitkaya's red dress.
- the unusual spark that some people call it star quality.

Look...I don't want to get into a big thing here (especially considering her very likley retirement). but she was much more to many people than a red dress. I think a lot of people and even some of her fans forget that she was like an unexpected child. She wasn't expected to go to the 2014 Olympics and did so inspite of many factors that could have served to hold her back.

Her appeal was in part due to timing I agree but also a very unique style of skating and personality that just captured many people's imaginations in a sport that tends to gravitate toward easily digested and tried and true choreography.

I only bring this up because IMO you seem to be excluding her from your other bullet points which IMO she more than satisfied for several people and the judges. To me it is amazing when considering she was only 15 (obviously speaks to timing) and absolutely delivering with very few errors in what even at today's standards was a very jam packed season. YMMV...

Honestly I personally don't feel drawn to Zhenya or Alina in the same way but I don't dispute their scoring potential or their scores. I actually think Gubanova should score higher than both when clean but hey....that's just my opinion. I don't expect the whole world to agree but I suspect I'm not entirely alone ;)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Look...I don't want to get into a big thing here (especially considering her very likley retirement). but she was much more to many people than a red dress. I think a lot of people and even some of her fans forget that she was like an unexpected child. She wasn't expected to go to the 2014 Olympics and did so inspite of many factors that could have served to hold her back.

Her appeal was in part due to timing I agree but also a very unique style of skating and personality that just captured many people's imaginations in a sport that tends to gravitate toward easily digested and tried and true choreography.

I only bring this up because IMO you seem to be excluding her from your other bullet points which IMO she more than satisfied for several people and the judges. To me it is amazing when considering she was only 15 (obviously speaks to timing) and absolutely delivering with very few errors in what even at today's standards was a very jam packed season. YMMV...

Honestly I personally don't feel drawn to Zhenya or Alina in the same way but I don't disputed their scoring potential or their scores. I actially think Gubanova should score higher than both when clean but hey....that's just my opinion. I don't expect the whole world to agree but I suspect I'm not entirely alone ;)

Agree about Zhenia, she is growing on me, but I don't feel the same way as I did with Yulia. Yulia is etheral to me: her personality, wow-factor in her spins...just everything. I still want her to skate and be part of the team, but her injuries, health issues..:no:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Agree about Zhenia, she is growing on me, but I don't feel the same way as I did with Yulia. Yulia is etheral to me: her personality, wow-factor in her spins...just everything. I still want her to skate and be part of the team, but her injuries, health issues..:no:

I think that happens one time in any FS fan's life. Of course , was/is/will be more favorites, but that is not the same...

tars

Record Breaker
Also, Yulia is a Slavic blonde, Alina more of a brunette Tatar. Both beautiful without question.

tars

Record Breaker
And this matters why...?
I referred to the question of new 'daughter of Russia". Tatars makes up only 4% of population, while Russians 81%, so Yulia might have had it easier to be embraced by the society. Ethnic aspects are deeply engraved in people's subconscious and they do matter when it comes to strong affection like love.
Alina seems very loveable to me though... :laugh:;)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I referred to the question of new 'daughter of Russia". Tatars makes up only 4% of population, while Russians 81%, so Yulia might have had it easier to be embraced by the society. Ethnic aspects are deeply engraved in people's subconscious and they do matter when it comes to strong affection like love.
Alina seems very loveable to me though... :laugh:;)

I don't think it has anything to do with the ethnic aspect. And I am not sure if Adelina is Tatar. Medvedeva is surely 50% Armenian and Zagitova is 100% Tatar but the phenomenon of the Russians' love to Yulia is hardly because of her slavic look. In fact, people say that she is jewish. Her magic trick was her image of the girl in red and her delivery of FS in the team event in front of the whole nation. The video of her Sochi team skate with over 6 million views is the all time leader on youtube (a little girl does not count).

The Russians have over a hundred different people and they are not as xenophobic as some want them to be. For example, the national heroine Isinbaeva is 50% Dagestanian.

tars

Record Breaker
Her magic trick was her image of the girl in red and her delivery of FS in the team event in front of the whole nation. The video of her Sochi team skate with over 6 million views is the all time leader on youtube (a little girl does not count).
I agree with Sam's previous post on that. Yulia is much much more than her epic red dress. She's super intelligent, insightful and original person. Sometimes harsh and bratty, but with big, warm heart deep under. I think Russian people, who are very emphatetic, managed to see it through the whole "no!" shell easily and that discovery made her even more appealing to them.
What I'm trying to guess is, if such phenomenon can happen again next year. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I'm interested to see how she performs this season, and I hope is is able to remain healthy. I expect that she will be a different kind of skater now than in 2014, much like how Mirai is very different than she was in 2010. Hopefully she is able to find the right programs that resonate with her style.

noidont

Final Flight
Zagi's Don Quixote was a crowd pleaser. Audience went wild with it, junior competition considering.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Zagi's Don Quixote was a crowd pleaser. Audience went wild with it, junior competition considering.

Good program with excellent technical delivery and nice if a bit juniorish presentation - not on the same level though as iconic - ie Yulia's SL

And yes I too agree it was much more than just a red dress, I remember watching the team event & feeling like something out of ordinary was happening, she truly was as some else said like a girl from another planet with that inhuman flexibility, fluidity in her movements, her sad eyes which seemed to look right into your soul... Please mark that I am not even a fan but that the impression she made on me then. My mother who never watches FS was so impressed she kept asking me about her and was genuinely upset when Yulia faltered in the individual event

2 Russian girls were already announced to be a part of the JGP. Who are they? Names aren't familiar.

To Australia?
First is Gulyakova: she's a bit inconsistent but has nice jumps with rippons. She trains 3A and it looks quite impressive.
Alexandra Trusova is a quad girl from Eteri's group. She also attempted 3A in a domestic competition (fall). All of her jumps are nice and big, her 2A is gorgeous. She's like a little fireball :)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
To Australia?
First is Gulyakova: she's a bit inconsistent but has nice jumps with rippons. She trains 3A and it looks quite impressive.
Alexandra Trusova is a quad girl from Eteri's group. She also attempted 3A in a domestic competition (fall). All of her jumps are nice and big, her 2A is gorgeous. She's like a little fireball :)

From the song she was skating to, Trusova does seem like a little fireball.
As for Gulyakova, I'm barely finding anything about her. I think she's older than the other baby Russians, looks maybe 15?

From the song she was skating to, Trusova does seem like a little fireball.
As for Gulyakova, I'm barely finding anything about her. I think she's older than the other baby Russians, looks maybe 15?

Yep, she's 15 (29 August 2002). She won cup of Moscow last season but wasn't successful overall because of inconsistency

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Yep, she's 15 (29 August 2002). She won cup of Moscow last season but wasn't successful overall because of inconsistency

So she'll be turning 16 by the time of the first junior Grand Prix. I like this "trend" of not every single Russian junior girl being 13/14 and super super tiny.
Stanislava will continue with juniors this season, apparently. (Hope she makes the final this year. ) But of course , you know what that means: it's either Julia or Adelina for the TBD Rostelecom cup.😱😰😳😱‼️‼️