2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Tulipstar

Medalist
Can't wait to see her LP! I think Lena and Shae Lynn make a good team. I do kind of wish she did a new SP though. I like the old one, but wanted to see something new. Also, the music is still a bit grating to my ears, though Lena performs it so well.

I agree. Elena is amazing!

If she makes it to the Winter Olympics, I think her SP is great, though. There will be loads of people watching who usually don't watch figure skating and it certainly stands out. I've only recently gotten into figure skating, and apart from Evgenia, Elena was the first Russian girl I remember and it was for that program.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ standard park in Russia. :biggrin:

Do trees in Moscow grow with high tech lighting on them ;)

I keep seeing this place show up on my Insta friends stories and some of the characters and EFX seem really cool. Didn't know if it was a theme, celebration, or exhibit.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
So, I've encountered with very bad news for me:

1. 4T little monster cutie Anna Scherbakova got another injury. First it was her arm, now it's her leg. Very sad. I feel very sorry for her. Hope she'll be healthy soon.
2. Stanislava Konstantinova and Alisa Fedichkina staying in juniors.

Now I understand why RusFed gave two spots to Alena Leonova. Totally ridiculous.

Because of this bad decisions in juniors opened very bad situation with overload talented girls, and this is sad because many of them won't get chance to compete at JGP:

Gubanova
Tarakanova
Konstantinova
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Nugumanova
Lozko
Gulyakova
Panenkova
Trusova
Kurakova
Tarusina
Vasilieva
ABBA girl
Sherbakova (inj.)

And only 14 spots which means 7 places with good skating each girl. Ugh. :disapp:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

1. 4T little monster cutie Anna Scherbakova got another injury. First it was her arm, now it's her leg. Very sad. I feel very sorry for her. Hope she'll be healthy soon.

Now I understand why RusFed gave two spots to Alena Leonova. Totally ridiculous.

Because of this bad decisions in juniors opened very bad situation with overload talented girls, and this is sad because many of them won't get chance to compete at JGP:

Gubanova
Tarakanova
Konstantinova
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Nugumanova
Lozko
Gulyakova
Panenkova
Trusova
Kurakova
Tarusina
Vasilieva
ABBA girl
Sherbakova (inj.)

And only 14 spots which means 7 places with good skating each girl. Ugh. :disapp:

Except they didn't. She's going to NHK and Skate America, so she was selected by those federations. She was guaranteed one GP spot because she was 23rd on the SB list and several of the women near her on the list ended up with a second spot like she did. At least one of those other girls could have been given the CoR TBD and skated senior.

hanca

Record Breaker

Gubanova
Tarakanova
Konstantinova
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Nugumanova
Lozko
Gulyakova
Panenkova
Trusova
Kurakova
Tarusina
Vasilieva
ABBA girl
Sherbakova (inj.)

It may be a good idea if you learn how GP events are awarded before you make another similar post. Senior GP events are not awarded by the federation the skater skats for. The skaters are invited by hosting federations based on their results from the previous yera. The Russian federation could have avoided submitting Leonova's name (and practically retire her this way), but Leonova did earn the places by her results, so how fair would that be?

You are advocating for Feditchkina and Konstantinova, well their results were not that great last season. Sakhanovich had to stay junior for another year after having two silver medals from junior worlds and two medals from JGPF. Sotskova had to do the extra year at junior level too. What medals do Feditchkina and Konstantinova have from GPF or junior worlds? I really can't see them being mistreated.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It may be a good idea if you learn how GP events are awarded before you make another similar post. Senior GP events are not awarded by the federation the skater skats for. The skaters are invited by hosting federations based on their results from the previous yera. The Russian federation could have avoided submitting Leonova's name (and practically retire her this way), but Leonova did earn the places by her results, so how fair would that be?

You are advocating for Feditchkina and Konstantinova, well their results were not that great last season. Sakhanovich had to stay junior for another year after having two silver medals from junior worlds and two medals from JGPF. Sotskova had to do the extra year at junior level too. What medals do Feditchkina and Konstantinova have from GPF or junior worlds? I really can't see them being mistreated.

I'm glad I know now that GP slots are awarded this way, I think it helps certain skaters get out and get noticed if they had a good previous season. That being said, can a federation choose any skater they want for their own TBD slot? Can they put any skater they want on the substitute list? Or do u need to be high on the SB list to even get a substitute spot?