2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I'd say Zagitova will have the ballerina/swan "look" down better than Osmond but Osmond sells performances and she has great interpretation. We saw some fire in her Carmen program and I am sure she will present a darker, fiercer side.

I don't think people would have expected Ashley to have had such a great Black Swan FS and hers is one of my all-time faves.

Agreed CSG, Kaetlyn will perform her version of Black Swan, and while she has done ballet for years, she will interpret based on her strengths including elegance, power and speed.

Agreed CSG, Kaetlyn will perform her version of Black Swan, and while she has done ballet for years, she will interpret based on her strengths including elegance, power and speed.

I don't want to judge Kaitlyn's FS so early in the season but when you choose such a famous piece of music, you should pay respect to it. She did show 'her version' but right now (for me) it has little to no connection to the music, to the story behind it. I also hope she'll work more on her interpretation and arm movements. But again, it's early to make any conclusions.

I'm happy to see Alina putting so much effort to get into the character. Taking ballet lessons, getting on pointe for program deserves respect.

andromache

Record Breaker
If y'all don't think Kaetlyn can do fierce, you must've missed her SP last season. More subtly fierce than overt fierceness, but I think she can push that further for the gritty fierceness of Black Swan. No, she's not especially balletic, but she has far better posture than Alina. I don't think Alina has bad posture off-ice, and there's no doubt that she trains ballet, but she keeps her back bent over while skating in order to help generate speed. But I do think Alina will be able to effectively channel the frenzied madness of Black Swan quite well (that sounds like me throwing shade, but it's 100% not, I promise).

But it doesn't really matter because it's already clear that fans will find reasons to justify why their fave's Black Swan is better, no matter what they look like.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I don't want to judge Kaitlyn's FS so early in the season but when you choose such a famous piece of music, you should pay respect to it. She did show 'her version' but right now (for me) it has little to no connection to the music, to the story behind it. I also hope she'll work more on her interpretation and arm movements. But again, it's early to make any conclusions.

I'm happy to see Alina putting so much effort to get into the character. Taking ballet lessons, getting on pointe for program deserves respect.

As you stated unplanned, "for me". Last year, after her SP debut at Finlandia, some called it a "cheesecake factory", as it wasn't for them. To each their own, but I look forward to this program becoming a Masterpiece, in time and performance, as per her short last year, for me.

As you stated unplanned, "for me". Last year, after her SP debut at Finlandia, some called it a "cheesecake factory", as it wasn't for them. To each their own, but I look forward to this program becoming a Masterpiece, in time and performance, "for me".

Idk I liked her last season SP from the very beginning

If y'all don't think Kaetlyn can do fierce, you must've missed her SP last season. More subtly fierce than overt fierceness, but I think she can push that further for the gritty fierceness of Black Swan. No, she's not especially balletic, but she has far better posture than Alina. I don't think Alina has bad posture off-ice, and there's no doubt that she trains ballet, but she keeps her back bent over while skating in order to help generate speed. But I do think Alina will be able to effectively channel the frenzied madness of Black Swan quite well (that sounds like me throwing shade, but it's 100% not, I promise).

But it doesn't really matter because it's already clear that fans will find reasons to justify why their fave's Black Swan is better, no matter what they look like.

Well, Alina is working on her posture as you can see

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Savage. But I can't disagree.

Well, to be fair, it's not like Osmond couldn't hold her own were she competing in Russia. After all, she beat 2 out of 3 of Team Russia team at Worlds - and with mistakes in her FS, at that.

Yeah, I get it, it's nice that she doesn't face the same pressure - but that could be a bad thing too... having stiff competition domestically drives you to be better and more prepared internationally and appreciative of every international assignment.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Savage. But I can't disagree.
But I can, Imagine! The best skaters rise to the occasion, no "savage" about it. This is a quality that one would wish to have in an Olympic Champion. An 8th and 13th placement by the Russians, does not automatically justify these skaters returning to "the Big Show", the following season. Kaetlyn and Gabby with a Silver & Bronze respectively, have both proven that they should be there, based on the merit of these previous World placements.

andromache

Record Breaker
Well, Alina is working on her posture as you can see

I essentially acknowledged that in my post, but okay.

Off-ice posture doesn't necessarily translate to on-ice posture - if you're trying to generate enough speed to pull off difficult transitions into quality jumps, you might find that hunching your back really helps you get that done.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Off-ice posture doesn't necessarily translate to on-ice posture - if you're trying to generate enough speed to pull off difficult transitions into quality jumps, you might find that hunching your back really helps you get that done.

It's interesting to see the IG accounts of different skaters and observe how their off ice training does (and sometimes doesn't) get reflected in their competitive performances. I think you're right about the difficulty of maintaining posture when executing a technically demanding program, because we often see superior lines in the skaters' exhibition numbers.

shmay

On the Ice
So glad to see Zagitova focusing on ballet. Her LP last year really looked like she'd never seen a barre in her life. I hope it's a completely different picture this season

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
So glad to see Zagitova focusing on ballet. Her LP last year really looked like she'd never seen a barre in her life. I hope it's a completely different picture this season

I agree! She could've really had a star moment if she moved like a ballerina when skating to Don Quixote. She certainly looked like one (I thought the tutu was great) but didn't move like one.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Isn't it true for everyone you included? You already said that Kaetlyn has far better posture than Alina. I do not agree. Kaetlyn has her own signature posture. Alina's posture improved a lot as the season went on - in fact it was a bit awkward during JGP but then it was absolutely fine. Osmond was good with last year Piaf. Everyone myself included admitted that she was very effective overall skating to that music. Will her posture and her skating style (you won't confuse her with anyone else) work with other music? I found out browsing through topics that she already competed this season. So I watched her Black Swan a little while ago. May be something will change as the season goes on but so far it is just Osmond skating her usual self. The music did not matter - it could be anything.

I have not seen Alina's programs yet - no one has. She skates to Swans Lake and DQ. Two ballets. The first one is dark - the second one is bright. Will she be able to project different emotions? IDK, let's wait and see.

andromache

Record Breaker
Isn't it true for everyone you included? You already said that Kaetlyn has far better posture than Alina. I do not agree. Kaetlyn has her own signature posture. Alina's posture improved a lot as the season went on - in fact it was a bit awkward during JGP but then it was absolutely fine. Osmond was good with last year Piaf. Everyone myself included admitted that she was very effective overall skating to that music. Will her posture and her skating style (you won't confuse her with anyone else) work with other music? I found out browsing through topics that she already competed this season. So I watched her Black Swan a little while ago. May be something will change as the season goes on but so far it is just Osmond skating her usual self. The music did not matter - it could be anything.

I have not seen Alina's programs yet - no one has. She skates to Swans Lake and DQ. Two ballets. The first one is dark - the second one is bright. Will she be able to project different emotions? IDK, let's wait and see.

I'm not a huge Kaetlyn or Alina fan - I like them both about equally, for very different reasons. My evaluation of Alina's posture has nothing to do with any personal bias on my end. (As for your evaluation of Kaetlyn's, I have no idea what "signature posture" means. Kaetlyn's posture isn't amazing - I'd consider it about average for a figure skater, whereas last time we saw Alina, she still bends at the waist a lot while moving in order to gain speed, though I hope she's grown out of that.)

Also, posture has nothing to do with music choice, so I'm confused as to why you think it's possible that Kaetlyn's only works with one type of music? Many skaters with posture similar to Kaetlyn's (not amazing, but average) have skated to all kinds of music over decades. Maybe you are confused as to what we are referring to by "posture"?

I'm all for making assumptions based on past work as to what kind of programs will or won't work for a skater. But comparing two programs we haven't seen and saying one is better than another is ridiculous, and that's what people are doing here, based entirely on who they personally prefer. I want to read about Russian ladies in this thread, not about Kaetlyn's Black Swan. But since we're discussing it - I think the choreography goes with the music rather well, and I like it way better than her generic LP from last season. Considering it's August, I would be shocked if the program doesn't improve. But she's got a good start.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't know who brought Osmond to the Russian ladies thread - definitely not me. But you started posture comparisons of Alina and Kaetlyn. What I meant by "signature posture" is a straight up position with some bend in the waist and somewhat stiff upper body.

https://smoothjazzandmore.files.wor..._271462689667605_1685588325_o.jpg?w=299&h=382

May be you have a sharper eye than me but I did not find very big differences between her last year LP and this one. Of course, the music is more emotional. Of course, the first skate and August - may be it will shine later on.

Again I have not seen Zagitova's FS to start comparing. May be it will be a disaster - may be a masterpiece. It will be clear soon. Of course, I hope for the better.

tars

Record Breaker
The most liked comment under recent "Sports.ru" article about Osmond sums it up quite nicely:

Лебедь из Осмонд такой же,как жар-птица из Голд

:laugh:;)