2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think Adelina is coming back and while she is the reigining Oly champion it won't have a huge impact on Russia. they still have Evgenia nad if not Maria, Elena and or Anna not to mention the current new superstar Alina forget about if Tut, Lip, Leonova or Adelina come back with a vengeance. I guess Polina T isn't on the table even.

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't think Adelina is coming back and while she is the reigining Oly champion it won't have a huge impact on Russia. they still have Evgenia nad if not Maria, Elena and or Anna not to mention the current new superstar Alina forget about if Tut, Lip, Leonova or Adelina come back with a vengeance. I guess Polina T isn't on the table even.

Polina T has better oly chances than Lip and Leonova, for sure.

hanca

Record Breaker
Polina T has better oly chances than Lip and Leonova, for sure.

Depending on what form she will be in. If she skate like she did at junior worlds, her chance are not biggr than Leonova and Lipnitskaya's chances.

moriel

Record Breaker
Depending on what form she will be in. If she skate like she did at junior worlds, her chance are not biggr than Leonova and Lipnitskaya's chances.

Yes, but we don´t know that, because we cannot judge based on 1 bad competition.
Now, both Lipnitskaya and Leonova (and also Tuktamysheva to some extent) had a whole bunch of bad seasons. If they could have improved / fixed their issues, they would have already.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes, but we don´t know that, because we cannot judge based on 1 bad competition.
Now, both Lipnitskaya and Leonova (and also Tuktamysheva to some extent) had a whole bunch of bad seasons. If they could have improved / fixed their issues, they would have already.
While I agree with your opinion about Leonova, I strongly disagree with Lipnitskaya.
Lipnitskaya was injured. If you are making allowances for injured Tsurskaya, you should be making allowances for injured Lipnitskaya. And Lipnitskaya did not have a whole bunch of bad seasons. I wouldn't count the ones where she trained under clearly strained atmosphere with Tutberidze. No one can really expect that anything would get sorted. And with Urmanov she had only a season and a half. In the half of the season she clearly made a hude progress, her SP at the nationals was brilliant, and they did admit that they didn't have time to work on the FS enough because at that time she was with him just a few weeks! The last season she was injured.

moriel

Record Breaker
While I agree with your opinion about Leonova, I strongly disagree with Lipnitskaya.
Lipnitskaya was injured. If you are making allowances for injured Tsurskaya, you should be making allowances for injured Lipnitskaya. And Lipnitskaya did not have a whole bunch of bad seasons. I wouldn't count the ones where she trained under clearly strained atmosphere with Tutberidze. No one can really expect that anything would get sorted. And with Urmanov she had only a season and a half. In the half of the season she clearly made a hude progress, her SP at the nationals was brilliant, and they did admit that they didn't have time to work on the FS enough because at that time she was with him just a few weeks! The last season she was injured.

Before getting injured, Lipnitskaya had 2 bad seasons in a row, no matter what happened. Last time she scored over 200 was in 2014. Ok, she was injured in 2016. In 2015, she didnt make worlds or GPF. She has a 3 season story of bombing the FS pretty much every time.
Tsurskaya had one bad season (which was still better than last season for Yulia, as Polina made the Jr. Worlds team and got Gold at her both GPs).

I really dont get why people keep putting such high hopes on Lipnitskaya right now.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Before getting injured, Lipnitskaya had 2 bad seasons in a row, no matter what happened. Last time she scored over 200 was in 2014. Ok, she was injured in 2016. In 2015, she didnt make worlds or GPF. She has a 3 season story of bombing the FS pretty much every time.
Tsurskaya had one bad season (which was still better than last season for Yulia, as Polina made the Jr. Worlds team and got Gold at her both GPs).

I really dont get why people keep putting such high hopes on Lipnitskaya right now.

Yes, but she was training in a group where she wasn't getting on with the coach, so that would affect her mentally. Jumps are a lot about the emotional side of things, not only the physical side. If she was angry, upset, unhappy, that would affect her confidence with jumps and her consistency. I wouldn't say I put such high hopes, but I wouldn't say that it is impossible for her to have a strong season. Look at Tuktamysheva suddenly having a strong season out of the blue, when most people already wrote her off.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Is Polina Tsurkskaya moving to CSKA?

Is it a hearsay or you have some info? I am interested cos its something I've sort of expected to hear for some time based on Eteri & Polina's mother recent statements

Last edited:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Yes, but she was training in a group where she wasn't getting on with the coach, so that would affect her mentally. Jumps are a lot about the emotional side of things, not only the physical side. If she was angry, upset, unhappy, that would affect her confidence with jumps and her consistency. I wouldn't say I put such high hopes, but I wouldn't say that it is impossible for her to have a strong season. Look at Tuktamysheva suddenly having a strong season out of the blue, when most people already wrote her off.

The problem is Russian ladies' field is really deep now and it's going to become even deeper when some of talented youngsters will go to seniors. And with all respect to Yulia she still keeps bombing her FS even after changing the coach as we saw at Nepela Memorial.

Her comeback will make her fans happy but to be honest she has to no chance to make it to national team and I doubt we will see her in any GP event as her standings now are around 40th something place and her TES are too low anyway. She can be invited to Rostelecom but I doubt RusFed will do it when they have a lot of ladies with higher standings who have chance to be next stars of this sport.

Also GPF in 2014/2015 season takes place in 2014. In 2015 she didn't qualify. Also in 2014/2015 season she made it to GPF but at Nationals she was 9th. Not to mention she was beaten by 3 junior ladies.

moriel

Record Breaker
In general, i dunno... Everything is possible.
But, in current field, Lipnitskaya wouldnt stand a chance even in her prime.
Also, i agree that it would make sense, from russian's fed perspective, to rather give chance to new talents, since that would be an investment in the next cycle, and we don´t even know if Yulia will skate in 2017-18 season. So lets say, if Yulia is rougly tied with Polina T, Sotskova, Konstantinova or Gubanova, it makes all sense to send one of the younger ladies and not her. Basically because they have more skating time ahead of them, so its a sort of investment in the future. Also, its very likely that Medvedeva will be in the team, so there are no commercial / marketing reasons either, since Med and her medals will promote the sport well enough.

hanca

Record Breaker
In general, i dunno... Everything is possible.
But, in current field, Lipnitskaya wouldnt stand a chance even in her prime.
Also, i agree that it would make sense, from russian's fed perspective, to rather give chance to new talents, since that would be an investment in the next cycle, and we don´t even know if Yulia will skate in 2017-18 season. So lets say, if Yulia is rougly tied with Polina T, Sotskova, Konstantinova or Gubanova, it makes all sense to send one of the younger ladies and not her. Basically because they have more skating time ahead of them, so its a sort of investment in the future. Also, its very likely that Medvedeva will be in the team, so there are no commercial / marketing reasons either, since Med and her medals will promote the sport well enough.
Gubanova is not senior eligible yet. From the last season's juniors, Konstantinova, Tsurskaya, Feditchkina and Zagitova are age eligible.

moriel

Record Breaker
Gubanova is not senior eligible yet. From the last season's juniors, Konstantinova, Tsurskaya, Feditchkina and Zagitova are age eligible.

Oh yeah forgot that... I´ve seen she´s 2002 as Zagi and thought she would be.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the Olympic contenders in Russia can be broken down into groups:

Group 1 (Locks)
Medvedeva

Group 2 (likely to comprise the last 2 spots)
Zagitova

Pogorilaya
Sotskova
Radionova

Group 3 (outsiders with a chance to make the team)
Tuktamysheva
Tsurskaya
Lipnitskaya
Sotnikova (if she comes back)

Group 4:
Everyone else

moriel

Record Breaker
I think the Olympic contenders in Russia can be broken down into groups:

Group 1 (Locks)
Medvedeva

Group 2 (likely to comprise the last 2 spots)
Zagitova

Pogorilaya
Sotskova
Radionova

Group 3 (outsiders with a chance to make the team)
Tuktamysheva
Tsurskaya
Lipnitskaya
Sotnikova (if she comes back)

Group 4:
Everyone else

I would actually put Tsurskaya in group 2 for now (until we have updates on her health status), as she it totally capable of it when healthy.

But then i suppose we need to wait for the test skates to see what happens. Test skates will probably make it quite clear - whoever bombs test skates is out.
If Zagitova skates clean at test skates, she is probably a lock too (because damn, this girl, she has momentum and TES, and Eteri is capable of polishing her enough to get decent PCs - and russian fed already showed they will support her at nationals this year).

I´m actually worried about Pogo, because i´m pretty sure Buyanova will get one of her girls into the Oly team. When she had just Sotskova, it was less likely. Now with 2 skaters, if one of them falters, the other one will do well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it a hearsay or you have some info? I am interested cos its something I've sort of expected to hear for some time based on Eteri & Polina's mother recent statements

Hearsay and a lot of curiosity. It seems really possible that Polina is going to change coaches and I heard mention of CSKA and I keep seeing posts with her and Masha hanging out, getting passports, and that type of thing.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep seeing posts with her and Masha hanging out, getting passports, and that type of thing.

But that's because they are really good friends since Junior Olympics. I wouldn't read too much into at least this part. If Polina does switch who is the rumored coach? Inna G, Sokolovskaya, Buyanova or Dayvdov?