Greatest figure skating comebacks? | Golden Skate

Greatest figure skating comebacks?

QuadLoop

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu's record-breaking free program, propelling him to win Worlds after placing fifth in the short, made me wonder about other similar instances. What are your favorite times that figure skaters have made a great comeback - either returning from retirement/injury, redeeming themselves after a prior disappointing competition, or skating an amazing FS after a bad SP?

NicoleJ96B

Rinkside
Obviously, the Virtue and Moir comeback is going to go down in the history books. Defying every expectation which resulted in their first undefeated season so defiantly will never be forgotten. They've really cemented their status as the only modern team to challenge for the 'best ever' title - and I think if they win the Gold at PyeongChang, and I think they will, that will be put to bed and they will be recognised as the greatest of all time.

This isn't as iconic - but Stolbova/Klimov's small bronze medal in the FD at Worlds 2017 should be celebrated.After a horrific short program, to comeback and produce that free, considering their whole season was simply brilliant and a beautiful moment for the two of them. If the short program wasn't so bad they could have medalled,which no one had anticipated. Kudos to them!

breadstal

Record Breaker
Wouldn't it be Mao's 2014 Olympics free? Even if she didn't medal, it was just so impressive and this performance will be remembered for a long time. Great comeback to figure skating scene would be Yuna, winning 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympic silver with not even competing at the highest level competitions like Grand Prix events and she went clean on both of them :love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yuzuru skated a brilliant LP at worlds.

That is for sure... but to me, it doesn't qualify as a great comeback in the sense that he was still in the final flight... he was still in contention, and it's not like he had been away for months because of retirement of injury..

comeback, in my understanding is when a skater is way off (read here outside final flight) the podium and makes it with an unexpected free skate.

or for instance like virtue and moir, coming back after two years and winning it all...

lappo

Final Flight
V/M comeback is amazing, they even took the time to produce one of the best SD ever! In the same category (coming back after long pause/retirement) Yuna 2013 was equally marvelous, not only for the gold medal (and the three spots for Korea) but also for the magnificent FP. I also would like to had S/H, she really had a bad injury that took her off the ice for so long, you wouldn't have said that at 4CC.
Yuzu had amazing "not good SP incredible FP" comebacks lately, but the absolute comeback crown for me goes to Mao 2014 FP (that skate was a thing of beauty...).

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
V/M comeback this year is for me the greatest one !
Yuna in 2013, she crushed the competition.
Mao's LP in Sochi :yahoo:
P/C comeback at European and Worlds after that terrible concussion
Yuzuru's WR at worlds 2017

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Aside from the aforementioned, Shen/Zhao's comeback in 2009/10 season was amazing. They won everything including the OGM.

I also consider Aliona Savchenko's comeback with the new partner in 2 years as a great example. The showdown between S/M and V/T was one of the highlights at 2016 Worlds. :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Mai's lp at worlds, was 15th after sp, 4th in the free and 5th overall (and 2nd highest tes):luv17:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
All the above mentioned ones +
I'd add these comebacks with amazing free skates after techniqually disappointing short programs by Yuzuru: 2012 Worlds, 2013 Worlds, and 2017 WTT.

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
Yuzuru is the king of redemptions after a not so good SPs!!! :agree:
WC Nice 2012, after 7th place in SP he finished 3rd, WC London Ontario 2013 when he was 9th after SP and finished 4th and this year 4CC when he was in 5 place after short and finished with the silver med and of course his WR at this year WC who winned him the competition!!! Great!! :yay:

lappo

Final Flight
All the above mentioned ones +
I'd add these comebacks with amazing free skates after techniqually disappointing short programs by Yuzuru: 2012 Worlds, 2013 Worlds, and 2017 WTT.

That is one of the best skate I have ever see, not only from him but in general. I know many people complain about his posture and carriage and lack of polish but that program was amazing and still his FP of my heart for me!!! Really the highlight of the whole Worlds together with Dai FP.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yuzuru is the king of redemptions after a not so good SPs!!! :agree:
WC Nice 2012, after 7th place in SP he finished 3rd, WC London Ontario 2013 when he was 9th after SP and finished 4th and this year 4CC when he was in 5 place after short and finished with the silver med and of course his WR at this year WC who winned him the competition!!! Great!! :yay:

4CC was a great comeback too but he was 3rd after SP :biggrin:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Another example: Mai Mihara's 2017 Worlds FS, with shades of Mao Asada at 2014 Sochi. Neither landed on the podium but they sure did throw-down.

Edit: Nevermind, matmuh already mentioned this. I must learn to read first. :palmf:

Last edited:

HoneyGoldLev

Rinkside
I guess we can consider Shizuka Arakawa at Torino 2006?

She was only 9th at 2005 World Championship and clearly wasn't the favorite going into the Olympic.
Also if I remember correctly, she changed her program mid-season, just a few weeks before the Olympic.
Placed 3rd in the SP, but managed to skate cleanly for free program to win overall.

It takes a champion mental to win Olympic gold in the 10th year of her skating career.

andromache

Record Breaker
Gordeeva/Grinkov winning OGM in 1994, especially after all the other comeback pros kind of fizzled out (looking at you, men).

Could also consider Torvill/Dean in 1994, who were away from amateurs much longer than the other returning pros, but they lost (were arguably wuzrobbed).

Also Lu Chen winning OBM 1998 after having the worst year imaginable in 1997. What a tearjerker.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd say Plushy for Vancouver - even if he did get silver ;).

Guy was out of competition for 3.5 years and managed to get almost to the top within six months! With a quad too.

I bow down. :bow:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I'd add Slutskaya too. She finished at 9th place at Worlds in 2004 after she didn't compete in the whole season due to a serious illness. She then came back and won everything in the 2004/2005 season, including the World championships title with the free skate of her life. She also won the bronze at the Olympic Games a year later, and even if she was the favorite to win the gold, I think it is a very good achievement considering that she almost retired.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd add Slutskaya too. She finished at 9th place at Worlds in 2004 after she didn't compete in the whole season due to a serious illness. She then came back and won everything in the 2004/2005 season, including the World championships title with the free skate of her life. She also won the bronze at the Olympic Games a year later, and even if she was the favorite to win the gold, I think it is a very good achievement considering that she almost retired.

Yeees! Irina was amazing! I remember watching Torino and the fact she wore a unitard rather than the dresses I was used to seeing female skaters wear had me thinking she was the most awesome lady ever! :laugh:

I hope we see more of those this Olympics.