2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

carotide

Rinkside
It's only Briand. And Cha's coach also listed as only Briand, not Orser. Maybe it only shows the coach who will come to Asian trophy with the skaters, not the matter of who is whose main coach?:think: Then that makes sense..

Thanks!
Well on ISU Bio Orser is the only one listed for Cha, we'll see what will happen with Young, although it's a mere formality as Brian always supervises every skater.
I really can't wait for this junior season to start!:dance: Do you know if JGP selection will be open to the public?

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Thanks!
Well on ISU Bio Orser is the only one listed for Cha, we'll see what will happen with Young, although it's a mere formality as Brian always supervises every skater.
I really can't wait for this junior season to start!:dance: Do you know if JGP selection will be open to the public?

I hope to see Young to get foreign coaches, not Korean, and should be famous and skillful at teaching. They will be really helpful to her at her junior debut..

And Yes it will, like they always do every year. There will be plenty of good fancams right after the competition, and I hope we can see live broadcasts also!!! I HOPE. :laugh:

Now fans are waiting for KSU's info about events(on their website), just like the schedules, places, and the ENTRIES! I am eager to see it.:luv17:

I would like to post about it when they are up.:dance3:

Kara

Final Flight

:sad4: It makes me so happy to see her working so well with Misha and looking amazing. You can definitely tell she doesn't yet have the necessary sharpness and flare to make the moves really pop when you see her next to him, but the potential is there and taking shape.:love:

I hope to see Young to get foreign coaches, not Korean, and should be famous and skillful at teaching. They will be really helpful to her at her junior debut..

I think Korea has some amazing jump coaches, but they don't focus much on skating and presentation skills. The lack of extension really kills me whenever I see the Korean skaters. I sit there wishing they would put their whole body into their movement and stretch out instead of just moving their arms.:hpull: So youn is the best in this aspect.

I feel like you can mask this issue a bit if you just load up the choreography with a ton of stuff kind of like Young's FS this year because the lack of full extension is really apparent when the choreography is empty or rather slow. Though of course I'm not the most experienced FS watcher and I'm definitely on the camp of choreography being a bigger factor of success than not.:scard8:

quad ax

Rinkside
Thanks to Cha, South Korea get 14 tickets for junior men's gps. However, generally, only skaters in level 7 (who can do 3-3 combination) or 8 (the highest level, 4 types of triples including 3A are required) can get ticket. (There are 5 skaters who are in level 7 or 8 in Korea.)
This year, South Korean skating association announced that only two skaters in level 7 or 8 can get two tickets each, and rest of them will get only 1 ticket. Moreover, it is forbidden to participate in gps with skater's own money. It means that leftover 7 tickets will be given to another country.
Do you think this makes sense? Skaters in level 6 also can do two triples and treated as junior skater in South Korea. Also, I think skaters who will get 1 ticket doesn't have that bad quality, since they can score 150s. I'm really angry, disappointed because of association.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
This year, South Korean skating association announced that only two skaters in level 7 or 8 can get two tickets each, and rest of them will get only 1 ticket. Moreover, it is forbidden to participate in gps with skater's own money. It means that leftover 7 tickets will be given to another country.
Do you think this makes sense?

It's frustrating, I agree. The only kind of sense it makes to me is financial. The skating federation saves money by not sending athletes who are not competitive--and sets a bar for those athletes striving to be competitive. Korea isn't the only country with limits. The U.S., Japan, and France have all let JGP or GP spots go empty due to their own federation's criteria, despite having athletes that meet the ISU criteria. I'm not a fan, as an open spot seems like a good opportunity for non-competitive athletes to gain experience and learn how to improve in order to become competitive. In this case, in particular, it seems like a very closed-door system. You can't predict the future, and as we saw with Cha two years ago, there is always the possibility that injury and a rough day may keep talented athletes out of the picture. And the reverse is true as well. You may have an athlete surprise with a high score in competition. Why shut the door on the possibility of offering said athlete another opportunity down the road?

quad ax

Rinkside
You may have an athlete surprise with a high score in competition. Why shut the door on the possibility of offering said athlete another opportunity down the road?

What made Korean fans really frustrated was the answer from the association for our inquiry. To summarize their answer, they are too busy to sign all those permission letters. Moreover, they think letting skaters who can't do 3-3 to participate in gps is kind of embarrassment. Korea has once lost one genius short track skater, because of bad association. What I really want is that there's no more lose of talented skaters 😧

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Thank you so much for the update!! I check the website and it's all Korean :palmf:
This year's Asian Trophy is in Hong Kong, right? I am so excited :luv17:

Yeeess Hong Kong~~!! I really hope to visit Hong Kong someday, but unfortunately not this time...:sad4:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Yeeess Hong Kong~~!! I really hope to visit Hong Kong someday, but unfortunately not this time...:sad4:

I am sure you can see them at other events this season, it's the Olympic season, they definitely would want some more experience in competition. :thumbsup:
I will be there :agree: I will support Jun Kwan and Eunsoo there~
Let's see how they are feeling at the very beginning of the season :luv17:
P.S. Hong Kong welcome you anytime :biggrin:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
He will have his costumes designed by one of the top Korean designers who made many Yuna's costumes. Also funny because Brian Orser asked him to design for CJH :laugh:

Wow, can't wait to see the new costumes!! :luv17: Yuna's costumes are always sooooooo pretty!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Which Korean Ladies will be age eligible for the Olympics next year? Is Eunsoo Lim?

Unfortunately no, Eunsoo will not be eligible next year but I hope to see her get to perform in the Exhibition.

Some notable Korean Ladies who are eligible (age-wise) to go to the Olympics next year:
Park So Youn
Choi Dabin
Kim Na Hyun
An So-hyun
Kim Hanul
Son Suh-hyun

seabm7

Final Flight