2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

tjb

Match Penalty
I actually wouldn't be too against it after more thought if she went straight from Austria to Latvia and rested up, but she has her sights set on Poland so I guess KSU didn't push her. Poland I think will be really hard to get another silver medal or better though.:( Also is Latvia really considered weak by people? You have Kihira and Panenkova, who both are pretty consistent high scorers, doesn't that seem pretty strong?

kihira is very inconsistent and rarely skates clean (i've seen her skating clean only twice, at asian open this year, and last year in slovenia), at japanese junior nationals she was 11th with 150 or something kind of score.
panenkova is superconsistent and never misses, but she's not the most artistic girl, eunsoo for sure can give a fight to her.
at least in latvia will be only one relatively strong russian skater. while in poland it might be both trusova and tarakanova, and the same kihira

breadstal

Record Breaker
She's already back in South Korea anyway and said that her next event is in Poland in GS article.

Kara

Final Flight
Entries for JGP Poland, hopefully I will go :pray:
Ladies: Eunsoo, Yunkyung (she might withdrew) http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108208.htm
Men: Sunghoon Park http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108207.htm

Please be okay Yunkyung...:sad21: Not as bad as I was expecting to be honest!! Trusova is there so gold is pretty much out of reach, but I feel both of them can beat the Japanese entries and Konstantinova is inconsistent. If Eunsoo scores high enough and grabs silver, I think she has a pretty good chance of making the final!! Of course JGP Poland is so far away so the entries for the Japanese and Russian ladies might change a lot.:hopelessness: Still think KSU should send You Young earlier to Belarus because at this rate the last JGP is gonna be the worst bloodbath with potentially Kihira, Guliakiova, and Tarakanova.:palmf: Nice to see Sunghoon finally getting this assignment though!

Also lol at the sub listing again. 2 names only.:sarcasm:

Edit: Realized Young isn't even listed as a sub for Belarus soooooo okay.:palmf:

tjb

Match Penalty
with 2 silvers final is 99% guaranteed, not always so with with silver and bronze, nugumanova didn't qualify for the final last year with 2nd and 3rd, but she was first in the substitute list and make it to the final due to withdrawal of other girl.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
with 2 silvers final is 99% guaranteed, not always so with with silver and bronze, nugumanova didn't qualify for the final last year with 2nd and 3rd, but she was first in the substitute list and make it to the final due to withdrawal of other girl.

Only if Trusova and Tarakanova win their second events 2-2 has big chances for JGPF. With multiple gold winners they will take precedence: 2-1 and 3-1 are better than 2-2. Also as Eusoon skates in Poland winning even silver is going to be difficult.

Interesting to see how Yelim Kim will perform. She is a very good jumper who backloads everything (strange enough but I have not read yet about how unbalanced her programs are because of that, why, I wonder :) ) But other than jumping she is very unpolished - at least that what I saw following the link to Korean test skates where she won with 190+ score. Let's see what she can bring competing with Konstantinova and Samodurova and how judges will score her.

tjb

Match Penalty
Only if Trusova and Tarakanova win their second events 2-2 has big chances for JGPF. With multiple gold winners they will take precedence: 2-1 and 3-1 are better than 2-2. Also as Eusoon skates in Poland winning even silver is going to be difficult.

Interesting to see how Yelim Kim will perform. She is a very good jumper who backloads everything (strange enough but I have not read yet about how unbalanced her programs are because of that, why, I wonder :) ) But other than jumping she is very unpolished - at least that what I saw following the link to Korean test skates where she won with 190+ score. Let's see what she can bring competing with Konstantinova and Samodurova and how judges will score her.

i hardly can imagine 6 different gold medalists. does it ever happened?
there's always at least 2 leading girls who won two events.
and yeah, yelim kim is pretty strong skater too. korean girls seems like a biggest threat for russian girls this season. thats why i started following them.
japanese team looks weaker than korean. only rika is really a threat

Kara

Final Flight

I'm actually pretty okay with backloading in the short, but still not a fan of for the long and it's really noticeable in both of Yelim's unfortunately.:palmf: She has a clear resting point at the end of her step sequence in the short and some puzzling arm choreography in the free that seems like stalling. If she can land everything, I can see a high TES, but pretty sure PCS will be low if I'm being honest like 25 for the short and 54 for the free depending on how they are scoring PCS for the event.:slink: I'll be pleasantly surprised if she gets higher than that. She has better spins than Eunsoo though!

i hardly can imagine 6 different gold medalists. does it ever happened?
there's always at least 2 leading girls who won two events.
and yeah, yelim kim is pretty strong skater too. korean girls seems like a biggest threat for russian girls this season. thats why i started following them.
japanese team looks weaker than korean. only rika is really a threat

I think it's just a matter of different weaknesses. Korean ladies need to work on their SS, transitions, and spins while the Japanese ladies this season need to fix URs and flip/lutz edges. It's why I'm really curious as to how Young will do because she has Shae-lynn choreography and has the transitions in and out of the jumps which is the go-to fad nowadays.:p

s_parks

Record Breaker
I really hope yelim can do well this season so she can train overseas. Obviously any real training in ss and presentation is not going to happen in korea. I'd especially like to see her stop getting choreo from her current coach, who's obviously more of a jump coach and not someone with artistic/creative vision. Yelim has good jumps and spins, just needs the resources to improve on the pcs.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Eun Soo so far is the leader of Korean ladies. Yelim's jump only gets good recently. Last season, she skates very junior-like and she had lots of underrotations. I am actually surprised how much she improved in her jumps. But her presentation is far away from Eun Soo. her SP is OK, but her LP showed visible weakness. She may be on the podium, but I don't think she will win gold this year at a JGP.

angelicadiablo

Rinkside
Poor Young You. It seems that everybody forgotten about her. :laugh: What are her chances against Gubanova, Mako and the other Russian in Croatia?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Well, she didn't skate that well at the test skate, and was not sent to Asian Open. Her jumps are not as consistent as the other two, and her presentation is not quite there. So I rank her after Eun Soo and Yelim.

Poor Young You. It seems that everybody forgotten about her. :laugh: What are her chances against Gubanova, Mako and the other Russian in Croatia?

tjb

Match Penalty

it's unlikely gonna be gubanova, since she's thrown out of all substitutions lists, and the other russian (vasilieva) is unlikely gonna be there as well. i think tarakanova gets the croatia spot, and may be someone else who medalled already, gulyakova or panenkova (if panenkova will skate well at latvia)
honestly, from what i've seen from young you this year i wasn't impressed at all. she was landing quad sals at warm ups last year, but this year even her jumps doesn't look that strong, she's underrotating a lot, and presentation never was her strongest side. so, i don't think she have many chances for a podium

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
So, the jgp is skipping this week, and next week it begins again?

I'm trying to find out more about yelim Kim. She's using la la land for her fs and that river dance reel around the sun music for her sp. She looks very slow and cautious across the ice to me. 😕 But backloading galore.
Who is her competition from Japan and US and Russia?

ejnsofi

Final Flight
So, the jgp is skipping this week, and next week it begins again?

I'm trying to find out more about yelim Kim. She's using la la land for her fs and that river dance reel around the sun music for her sp. She looks very slow and cautious across the ice to me. 😕 But backloading galore.
Who is her competition from Japan and US and Russia?

Riko Takino from Japan, Trusova and Konstantinova from Russia and Tessa Hong from US

Kara

Final Flight
Yelim finished 4th with 163.49 while Jihun finished 11th with 131.92. I was really pleasantly surprised by Jihun. She has good skating and performance skills and managed to get level 4 on all her non-jump elements for both SP and FS!:eeking: Even getting +1 GOE for her step sequence.:agree: Her 2A+3T was fabulous too and got a +1 so if she could get down her other jumps, her score will shoot up I think. Bend the knee and go for it girl!:hap10: The choreography by Wilson was really good too. Which brings me to Yelim. She did really well last year at nationals yet is still getting choreography from her coach while other skaters are getting choreography from overseas. What's the deal with that? I'm disappointed, but I'm sure she's even more disappointed and I sincerely hope she can clean up and pull it together for Italy. Does anyone know why she opted for later JGPs? Because her condition seemed so much better before.:(

Really putting my hopes on Young now too because I genuinely like her choreography (hard to go wrong with Shae-lynn) and I want her to show that Korea's not just Eunsoo. Which then brings me to the biggest cause for my sadness right now...Yunkyung's name is no longer on Poland's entries list so I'm assuming she has withdrawn because of her injury.....:sad4: I was really looking forward to seeing her on the JGP, but it looks like it won't happen this year...Really depressed...

tjb

Match Penalty
i don't find yelim's choreography to be so horrible. obviously it's not great, but it's still a choreography.
the main problem is that she's not quite well performing to it. especially at the beginning, where is very noticeable how she limits herself to save a stamina for a second half.
the girl just needs to took some choreography and dancing classes. i wonder, if any korean skaters are doing this? seems like this is just not a part of the korean skating program. besides eunsoo lim, all other girls are looked like they never've been at dancing classes. and i guees that eunsoo learned how to dance by herself, and not at her skating school.