2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

s_parks

Record Breaker
Please, can her parents switch her coaches? Her current one has literally done nothing good for her except improve her jump technique. And while that's important, everything else is so lacking. I just hope she didn't get an injury after the selection comp.

tars

Record Breaker
It's so apparent Yelim Kim is great prospect - her jumps and moves scream "talent", but those programs are killing her scores and maybe she lacks a bit of fighting spirit ... :eek:hwell:

Kara

Final Flight
i don't find yelim's choreography to be so horrible. obviously it's not great, but it's still a choreography.
the main problem is that she's not quite well performing to it. especially at the beginning, where is very noticeable how she limits herself to save a stamina for a second half.
the girl just needs to took some choreography and dancing classes. i wonder, if any korean skaters are doing this? seems like this is just not a part of the korean skating program. besides eunsoo lim, all other girls are looked like they never've been at dancing classes. and i guees that eunsoo learned how to dance by herself, and not at her skating school.

Her La La Land program doesn't really have interesting parts in the beginning half and some of the hand motions look like they're in there just for the sake of having her not just skate around, but yes the main problem is that she's not performing. She does the motion, but doesn't fully go into it and I sort of have the same issue with Young too where she doesn't really stretch out her arms far enough.:noshake: Even if she's not a natural performer, choreography can help her cover those flaws like they sort of did last year, but instead it put on full display her weaknesses.

With how popular idols are in Korea, I'd assume that most of them would take dance classes, but more in hip hop sort of styles instead of ballet so they can learn to extend and get better lines. One thing I've always wondered is how many potentially really talented girls they are losing to the dream of becoming a kpop idol.:laugh:

tjb

Match Penalty
yeah, watching last seasons "miss saigon" i noticed that eunsoo are not looking comfortable with a lyrical program. but when it comes to something modern and sassy she just shines.
that's why i suggested that she's learned choreography not in her skating school, but from watching k-pop video clips or something like that

breadstal

Record Breaker
Yelim is such a technical talent indeed, her SS are kinda meh but they keep improving and she's slow but everything else is really good. But when you're skater who's not expressive at all and don't want to sell it yourself, you need programs to save you. Like Dabin's short or last season's free. It really sucks because she kinda was supposed to be second here and blew up her chances for final :( It would be dream for both her and Young to podium in Italy :luv17: Like I said in competition thread, she doesn't handle pressure well. Like last season, was was great at both JGP Qualies and Asian Trophy and blew up JGPs, hopefully she will learn from this competition. She's still 4th, so it's not that bad, I really want her to do her best in next one though.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched Dobin's new FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAU1CYEzX90
I have to say, never been so intrigued by Dobin's program.
Absolutely a much better program than her previous one.
Sometime, I just wish Korea can send their talented, especially artistically promising skaters(I am looking as you Squirtle) to David Wilson, He WILL do his magic!
Not just, oh it is OG season, we need some good stuff, let us ask before it is too late.
Another reason is that, David Wilson may be able to explore some of the skaters' inner potential and artistic range, without the skater themselves even aware of it,

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
just watched Dobin's new FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAU1CYEzX90
I have to say, never been so intrigued by Dobin's program.
Absolutely a much better program than her previous one.
Sometimes, I just wish Korea can send they are talented, especially artistically promising skaters(I am looking as you Squirtle) to David Wilson, He WILL do his magic!
Not just, oh it is OG season, we need some good stuff, let us ask before it is too late.
Another reason is that David Wilson may be able to explore some of the skaters' inner potential and artistic range, without the skater themselves even aware of it,

Oh, thank goodness i am not the only one. Agree 100% about the intriguing aspect. Then I read at the music edit (One of the track is Dvorak's Songs My Mother Taught Me, one can only speculate) and who the choreographer is, then it certainly made sense of the direction of the performance. Once again Wilson did his magic. I suspected he might have been discussed with Dabin at length on what type of story she wanted to tell, before design her program, and consequentially shaping her new skating 'voice', a new aspect of Dabin on ice. The sort of thing he probably used to do with Yuna quite a bit.

I think this is probably her most suited program so far. The lack of showboating is actually a strength, think of this as the anti-Averbukh choreography approach, in that it doesn't even try to appease and delivers feels more natural and sincere. No busy meaningless gratuitous movements for transitioning scores sake; or requiring some put-upon personas, cliche, well-known storyline and characters, tricks and gimmicks to compensate for artistry. It is always refreshing to see programs like this like Nathan's FS that doesn't try hard but confidently elegant and understated. This is a maturing Dabin making great strides in finding her new grown-up skating voice, light years ahead from 'Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now' days.

I much prefer this to her westside story.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I hoped she will medal so it's a bit shame but yey, I really like this program, much better fit for her and nice dress :luv17: Can't wait for her to get that 3-3 back and all levels, hopefully she will be ready for Grand Prixes, I think it's rather solid start of season :agree:

And happy to see her with coach today at K&C.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Oh, thank goodness i am not the only one. Agree 100% about the intriguing aspect. Then I read at the music edit (One of the track is Dvorak's Songs My Mother Taught Me, one can only speculate) and who the choreographer is, then it certainly made sense of the direction of the performance. Once again Wilson did his magic. I suspected he might have been discussed with Dabin at length on what type of story she wanted to tell, before design her program, and consequentially shaping her new skating 'voice', a new aspect of Dabin on ice. The sort of thing he probably used to do with Yuna quite a bit.

I think this is probably her most suited program so far. The lack of showboating is actually a strength, think of this as the anti-Averbukh choreography approach, in that it doesn't even try to appease and delivers feels more natural and sincerely her. No busy meaningless gratuitous movements for transitioning scores sake; or requiring some put-upon personas, cliche, well-known storyline and characters, tricks and gimmicks to compensate for artistry. It is always refreshing to see programs like this like Nathan's FS that doesn't try hard but confidently elegant and understated. This is a maturing Dabin making great strides in finding her new grown-up skating voice, light years ahead from 'Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now' days.

I much prefer this to her westside story.

OS,Just wanna you know that I was intrigued without any knowledge of what this music is (although it is indeed a very famous piece, after I did some research about it), that alone really says something!
I guess figure skating will become a popular sports, if every performance will be like this kinda. No publicities needed, simply intrigues people to watch.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
OSJust wanna you know that I was intrigued without any knowledge of what this music is (although it is indeed a very famous piece, after I did some research about it), that alone really says something!
I guess figure skating will become a popular sports, if every performance will be like this kinda. No publicities needed, simply intrigues people to watch.

Same here... I was only informed about it from sequinsgalore's post later.

randomfan

Record Breaker
This is a maturing Dabin making great strides in finding her new grown-up skating voice, light years ahead from 'Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now' days.

Just got a flashback on how much I disliked that program and its annoying music :laugh:

As for Dabin's new FS, I found it a little boring at first, but now I can see that it has good potential. And it's much better than the West Side Story FS she had earlier.

vavavoom

Rinkside
June Hyoung LEE replaced Jinseo KIM as Nebelhorn entrant.

Jinseo was replaced after he tanked a short program at Ondrej Nepela. Interestingly, he did well in free skate.

Unfortunately the chance to make the team event at Olympics is getting smaller. Last year, I thought it would be a slam dunk with CHA and MIN/GAMELIN getting spots at Nebelhorn.

I do not see LEE ending up in top 6 out of 26 countries, and in Pairs KIM/KIM have an impossible task to end up in top 4 out of 11 countries fighting for these spots. MIN/GAMELIN very likely advancing will simply not be enough to have South Korea in the team event. :sad4:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
June Hyoung LEE replaced Jinseo KIM as Nebelhorn entrant.

Jinseo was replaced after he tanked a short program at Ondrej Nepela. Interestingly, he did well in free skate.

Unfortunately the chance to make the team event at Olympics is getting smaller. Last year, I thought it would be a slam dunk with CHA and MIN/GAMELIN getting spots at Nebelhorn.

I do not see LEE ending up in top 6 out of 26 countries, and in Pairs KIM/KIM have an impossible task to end up in top 4 out of 11 countries fighting for these spots. MIN/GAMELIN very likely advancing will simply not be enough to have South Korea in the team event. :sad4:

I was looking at the entries list for Nebelhorn of Men's, it not completely impossible for LEE to get to top 6, he just need to skate clean, understand that he is not the most consistent skater in team Korea, but this is for the Oly spot! I wish he take this opportunity to shine.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I was looking at the entries list for Nebelhorn of Men's, it not completely impossible for LEE to get to top 6, he just need to skate clean, understand that he is not the most consistent skater in team Korea, but this is for the Oly spot! I wish he take this opportunity to shine.

Korea already has one spot reserved as Olympics hosts :)