2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I kind of wish Papa Can You Hear Me was Dabin's free program... It's much more cohesive and powerful than her current free program looks.

gourry

Final Flight

Overall not bad at all! I'm not quite sure if Riverdance is right vehicle for Yelim, but it's still very raw so maybe she'll convince me later in the season. Eunsoo is charming as always. :)
And I absolutely love Young and Dabin's SPs!!!! Especially Dabin's. Maybe it's because I know her personal loss but I feel like crying while watching this program. :sad46: I like her very much but it was more about her grit and perseverance. She's impressed me with her progress, but never really moved me with her performance, until now.
And Young sure has some charisma! I thoroughly enjoyed her program even though I don't care for the music. :agree:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Hours ago, I watched a video of Young hyun Cha's FS run-through. It was my first time seeing him skate and I was so impressed! He has such soft, springy knees, a strong sense of rhythm and interprets his music so well! Just watched his SP run-through and I think I figured out why he pretty much skipped all of his spins during the first run-through.:laugh: Anyway, IMO he has a lot of potential.

I apologize if these links have already been shared but for anyone who hasn't seen them yet and is interested,
FS run-through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_CHXBO0HMA&list=LLhhZdbYkBPQ3bwBf75Kaqvw&index=1
SP run-through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_F5zwKX2E
Thank you to Icescape Rasu for the quality videos! :bow:

Looking forward to seeing Young hyun's full performances...and the performances of all the other guys, as well~ Best of Luck to all of them!

breadstal

Record Breaker
Most of practices are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBBM6I8aFFYHQ011WUsgoWw/videos

Dabin Choi: I love it and I feel nostalgic :love: I knew it will suit her perfectly, at this point I kinda wish she could reuse her old FP and she would be good for Olympics but we will see how season will go, I guess. But wow, I'm just enchanted by Dabin in this program. Great work.
Son Suh-hyun: The jumps looked pretty good, the dress is pretty. I hope she will be more into the program at competitions but I love how delicate and lyrical she looked for whole program. I liked it!
Nahyun Kim: Not feeling Nahyun repeating her last year's SP, I dislike this music so much lol But if she feels confident with it, I guess it's good choice.
Sohyun An: I love the music and it's nicely choreographed but she's sometimes too slow, step sequence was too slow. I hope she will improve with season going.
Hanul Kim: The music is beautiful, great choice. I'm feeling this, just needs to get her jumps done. I loved that layback.
Soyoun Park: Absolutely stunning, my girl :cry: That Ina Bauer was epic, I'm so worried about jumps *sigh*. I hope she will be at her best ASAP.
Young You: Not my personal taste for program/ music but she's just amazing, EVERYTHING was so well-done, just so talented!
Yelim Kim: The dress doesn't suit Riverdance for me and she was too slow and lacked ice coverage in the first half, looked really dragged but her jumps never fail to amaze me, that 3Lz-3T was stunning. The spins and choreography looked good too but she needs to work on speed, I think her SS improved though!
Eunsoo Lim: Not a fan of music as well but SHE'S SLAYING. What a presence this girl has (I just read inteview where she said that she likes Ashley Wagner and Kaetlyn Osmond, not suprise). There's no other girl who will pull off programs like that (talking about juniors) and I'm glad she went out with programs like that at the end imo. The jumps looked good, spins look improved, SS improved a lot and she looked so happy performing!

Junhwan Cha: Not a fan of this song lol It suits him more than last year's SP but I liked it more. Kinda played easy but maybe it's better, he needs to feel comfortable in his programs.
Jinseo Kim: I think I will really like this program and I can see him pulling it off well, he was into it. I hope he will get his 4T consistent this season! His knee bends will never fail to scare me lol
Sihyeong Lee: Our artistic, fan favorite, cowboy :luv17: He's so slow but he still makes it work and I actually liked the program overall.
Sunghoon Park: A really nice program and really nice skater. He needs to be more consistent with layouts that he has.
Sejong Byun: He's so underrated sob, I think he's artistic skater and is quite polished, I like his spins and he has some nice SS but needs to work on speed. I think he was working on 3A but he left out his all jumps in both RTs.

bluelutz

On the Ice
I love Dabin's SP a lot!
Since I read that Kenji choreographed it, I was looking forward to seeing it,
but it turned out to be better than I expected.
Never I thought that she would be this expressive later when I watched her during her junior days.

"What the Wonderful World" sounds too old fashioned for Junhwan to skate.
At least he does not use Satchmo's original version, but still sounds too heavy for him.

Having to compete @Asian Open after this,
Eunsoo, Yelim and Dabin are having a tough schedule
though I am really looking forward to seeing the next week's match up,
Lim vs. Kim vs. Kihira vs. Yamashita :eeking:, also Choi vs. Sakamoto vs. Shiraiwa :luv17:.

breadstal

Record Breaker
From Competition's thread (by @FanOfTeamKorea).

Junior Ladies Overall Result
1. Ye Lim KIM 193.08 :luv17:
2. Eun Soo LIM 174.17
3. Young YOU 170.01
4. Yun Kyung KAM 165.88
5. Hyun Soo LEE 154.80
-----2 Tickets (for JGP events)-----
6. Ji Hun TO 141.56
7. Su Been JEON 141.21
8. Eun Bi KO 141.15
9. Ji Yun LEE 129.46
-----1 Ticket-----

Junior Men Overall Result
1. Geon Hyeong AN 175.97 (I need to check him soon!)
2. Si Hyeong LEE 175.80
-----2 tickets-----
3. Young Hyun CHA 170.35
4. Sung Hoon PARK 138.85
5. Jae Seok KYEONG 134.57
-----1 ticket-----

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Whoa, hold up! I must've missed something. There's a South Korean competition going on now? I've been watching YouTube videos of new programs and they look great.

tars

Record Breaker
These Korean babies are slowly but surely transforming into beautiful ladies, mistresses of their art... :luv17::drama:

I predict total domination of Kor/Jpn/Rus triumvirate in women skating in years to come.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ye Lim KIM improved a lot during the summer. Her jumps are better than last season, and she added Rippon and backloading— the strategy seems to be working. Eun Soo grow much taller, and her jumps are not as stable as last season. The top 3 junior ladies are all very impressive. I am glad I got some quality performance to watch during the off season.

Warwick360

Medalist
Ye Lim Kim's jumps look so good. Surprised I hadn't seen anything of her last season. :palmf:

But the La La Land program needs to be dumped. It does nothing for her. The program looks so disjointed and not really in sync with the music. :eek:hwell:

It's almost like the same feeling I had when Dabin was doing La La land last year. Except, in her case her performance was lagging only in the step sequence. In this case, I didn't feel the program intertwine with the music at all. :slink:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Didn't La La Land had even a higher box office number in South Korea than in the US? So the music might be even more more popular there. For a junior program, I think it is OK. Her sp was much better.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yelim has an alright JGP season but I think she was hit by some URs and made a couple mistakes, she's not as good a performer as You Young and Eunsoo but I think technically she's stronger. She was injured and couldn't make it to junior worlds and seems to have come back with a vengeance. Not my favourite of the junior trio but she sure skated well and deserved that win. I think La La Land is ok, I don't like backloaded programs and I don't think it works for me as a performance, but as a competitive program it's good for grabbing at those points.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Love yelim but dislike the choreo. She doesn't have enough power/speed to pull of riverdance and la la land is almost void of choreography. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but when is it her turn to get some overseas training? Hope she does well at nats and gets a bit more $$$.
Both eunsoo and yelim have a glaring lack of speed in the step sequences (and almost whenever they're not doing crossovers, honestly). Young has areas that can be improved as well, obviously, but she carries much better speed throughout with better edges. Korea actually has a problem of focusing too much on jumps and not teaching basics and other elements enough. This is a difference that several korean skaters noted talking about training overseas vs. domestically.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think the lack of speed is related to their fast growing figure, and they are almost too skinny to have the optimal speed. Both Ye Lim and Eun Soo are visibly taller/skinnier compared to just a few months ago. I start to worry that Eun Soo might grow too tall and/or too long-legged to sustain reliable jumps. I think it is kind of interesting to see the contrast between Japanese and Korean junior ladies.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think the lack of speed is related to their fast growing figure, and they are almost too skinny to have the optimal speed. Both Ye Lim and Eun Soo are visibly taller/skinnier compared to just a few months ago. I start to worry that Eun Soo might grow too tall and/or too long-legged to sustain reliable jumps. I think it is kind of interesting to see the contrast between Japanese and Korean junior ladies.

No offense, but their SS were always subpar, so I don't think their figure has much to do with that. I don't think any of the korean ladies growing so tall as to having problems with jumps. Eunsoo is long-legged but not too tall in comparison(I envy her proportions!)- she's actually a cm shorter than yelim- and her technique looks good enough to survive through puberty. Who knows the future though, since they're only 14.

breadstal

Record Breaker
WOW, that is SOME step sequence in Cha's SP.
And Dabin's dress is breathtaking.
ALSO- so nice to see Soyoun with a clean short program. The Korean comments seem to indicate she's dealing with some sort of injury?

She had to cut off her last season and had surgery, was off the ice for a long time and is still getting back to top level :( Not sure if she has any actual injury now