Making a World Record: Hanyu's Long Program | Golden Skate

Making a World Record: Hanyu's Long Program

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This is a fan-made video that notes steps/transitions, spin levels, step sequence levels, and GOEs of Yuzuru's '17 World Championship Long Program. I found it most interesting because each step is noted on the side as he does them and at the end of the element, it also shows which bullet points or levels were achieved. So it's quite educational for someone like me who cannot yet discern or name all the kinds of steps and turns.
Link from the start of the program:
https://youtu.be/Y2KjO28Jpzo?t=43s

On April 1, 2017, Yuzu performed a flawless dazzling free program for a new world record of 223.20 – making history once again!

(As we all know :coffee:)

I became a fan of Yuzu after watching Boston Requiem, so H&L has always been special, a perfect continuation of Requiem to me in many senses. At Worlds, Yuzu presented a transcendent, emotional performance… effortlessly built upon the foundation of a program of extreme beauty and complexity, and exquisite technique in all aspects—jumps, spins, skating :luv17:

I’ve been busy working on a special project since WC’s been over (and making Yata be pigeon for me), together with some very talented, very extra Hanyu fans’ from all over…

So here’s "Hope & Legacy” again––with annotated steps and turns in real-time + full performance analysis by Yulia, a blogger and a huge Yuzuru Hanyu fan. Ladies and gentlemen, Yuzu Hanyu!

(And here's link to Niconico version for Japanese fans)
It's was soon buried about 30 pages back in the Fan thread, so I thought I'd bring it here for more time in the sunshine. It looks like a lot of work was put into this. :agree:

Do you know of any other skaters who have programs with steps etc. noted in this way? It would be interesting, I think, to see if it was done for any of Evgenia's programs, or Mao's Sochi LP.

gladiolusc

Medalist
Let's focus on what's happening in the program itself, because it sure is something spectacular and worth celebrating :agree2:, rather than jumping to scores and judging. There have already been a trillion discussions about that and I'm sure plenty more occasions to talk about that over the off season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i won't jump to talk about the scores nor the blogger's personal evaluation, but just to remind you that "world records" are not recognized by the ISU for several reasons and that there are tons of threads where people complain about skaters beating their favorite skaters' former records because of that misconception.

These reasons include: different panels, different judges, different base values, different elements, and even different rules, thus comparing scores from competition to competition is not recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

fireovertheice

On the Ice
First of all: thanks to all the people who worked to this video. Amazing, almost (...:)) like Yuzuru's performance!

Also for me it is been very useful to understand better the complexity of the program. Would be rather intresting to have other performaces of Yuzuru or other skaters analysed like this, as interspectator said. Are there any others? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
i won't jump to talk about the scores nor the blogger's personal evaluation,

Neither is the main point of the video or of posting it here. It was meant as a skating analysis to show the complexity of an FS program like that, as a tribute to what Yuzu achieved with it, and potentially as an 'educational' video for those who want to learn a bit more about different steps, how to get step/spin levels ect.

Even if you don't agree with the GOEs being mentioned or the bullets given by the blogger, the main part is the clear analysis and naming of every step taken and the transitions in this program. That isn't anybodys 'evalutaion', it's the steps and transitions that are clearly, objectively there. And it is very much worth watching for that, so please do.
(And in general: it was way too much work for Yulia, who analysed it, and everyone involved in this project, to just want it to end up being seen as a "scoring diiscussion thing". It isn't)

Lys

Match Penalty
i won't jump to talk about the scores nor the blogger's personal evaluation, but just to remind you that "world records" are not recognized by the ISU for several reasons and that there are tons of threads where people complain about skaters beating their darling former records because of that misconception.

These reasons include: different panels, different judges, different base values, different elements, and even different rules, thus comparing scores from competition to competition is not recommended.

I'm glad you picked up the central point of the video so quickly! I was certain of it, but it's always nice to be proven right :biggrin:

Now, going back on topic, a couple of things that stood out to me:
- There's always been a lot of talk about Yuzuru's content (steps, turns, transitions basically) outside the actual step sequences, and the making of this video highlighted it even more to me. We discussed a bit if it was worth to put the whole step sequence in slow-motion, so to be easier to follow steps, turns and changes of edges, but we decided against it because the content outside it was still so much we felt we'd need to slow down the whole program.
Maybe a slow-motion version of the video can be put out later, if people think it can help to follow better what's happening on ice.

- I want to renew here my compliment to Shae Lynn for the way this program is built, it's amazing how any step or turn or movement has been actually choreographed and put in sync with music, nothing like going through the program bit by bit, second by second, to notice even more these things, that may get overlooked when taking the program on its whole.

- A big thumb down to ISU official feed and their cameramen who I hope were at their first experience in the field, good thing there are also fancams ;)

- Linking to this preview as well, because why not?

Re other programs "mapped" this way, I know there are some videos that partially map a program (I remember watching one for Zhenia's SP), it was on YouTube, but I'm sorry, I don't remember on which channel.

Last edited:

blackey

On the Ice
If they can't do it with all of the skaters from that competition with same standard then what's the point?

also goe is never given on the 'check list' base, it's more than common that many elements with exceeded requirement execution get +2, at the same time some flawed/imperfect elements get more goe than it actually deserve.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Where is Dave from The Skating Lesson when we want him here? I would love to hear his comments on Yuzuru's Hope and Legacy again after watching this video. He once called it empty and no transitions...

Dave where are you? Hello?

blackey

On the Ice
Even if you don't agree with the GOEs being mentioned or the bullets given by the blogger, the main part is the clear analysis and naming of every step taken and the transitions in this program. That isn't anybodys 'evalutaion', it's the steps and transitions that are clearly, objectively there. And it is very much worth watching for that, so please do.
(And in general: it was way too much work for Yulia, who analysed it, and everyone involved in this project, to just want it to end up being seen as a "scoring diiscussion thing". It isn't)

I guess it's "objectively underscored" then.

blackey

On the Ice
Where is Dave from The Skating Lesson when we want him here? I would love to hear his comments on Yuzuru's Hope and Legacy again after watching this video. He once called it empty and no transitions...

Dave where are you? Hello?

Dave never said his performance at worlds has no transition. His statement was towards his 4cc performance and I think it's fairly clear that his performance at worlds including more transition/better edge/better flow than 4cc's.
Also just FYI for his worlds performance Dave did say that quality was much above the rest of the field. (don't remember the exact words but he did praise the quality)

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I guess it's "objectively underscored" then.

??? What are you talking about?

I said what is objective is the steps that were analysed and named bit by bit. Mohawks, lunges, chasses,... none of that has anything to do with the GOEs or what GOEs were given? So what do you mean?

And saying there is no point to this if you can't do it for all skaters makes no sense. It's not meant as a comparison.

blackey

On the Ice
??? What are you talking about?

I said what is objective is the steps that were analysed and named bit by bit. Mohawks, lunges, chasses,... none of that has anything to do with the GOEs or what GOEs were given? So what do you mean?

And saying there is no point to this if you can't do it for all skaters makes no sense. It's not meant as a comparison.

I thought the video list all of the requirement for +3 goe and highlight what he did in each element. I guess I'm totally looking at the wrong thing.
"It's not meant as a comparison", please say it to all of the underscore comment.

gladiolusc

Medalist
I thought the video list all of the requirement for +3 goe and highlight what he did in each element. I guess I'm totally looking at the wrong thing.
"It's not meant as a comparison", please say it to all of the underscore comment.

Comments are comments. I made the video alongside Li'Kitsu and Lys and many others. I meant it as a closer look at what Hanyu is doing every moment on the ice in this program. I did not mean it as a comparison. You can directly address those underscore comments.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

The video does a lot more than that, you just seem to choose to ignore that. There is the whole part of stuff outside of elements, for example, or the fact what kind of steps are actually there when most of the time discussions here end with "there are steps" or "that program is empty" instead of a deeper analysis.

Underoscored or overscored wouldn't even have to mean in regards to others, but just by going by the actual guide lines, but okay... and gladi asked to stay away from thesekind of posts already before me so I liked the post instead of just saying the same thing again myself. Sorry for that :rolleye:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Dave never said his performance at worlds has no transition. His statement was towards his 4cc performance and I think it's fairly clear that his performance at worlds including more transition/better edge/better flow than 4cc's.
Also just FYI for his worlds performance Dave did say that quality was much above the rest of the field. (don't remember the exact words but he did praise the quality)
Hanyu's LP at WC and at 4CC have technically the same amount of transitions. Hanyu did adjust some part but overall not much difference. It is not like Hanyu had Zero transitions at 4CC and had 100 transitions at WC. It's still the same program.

The only reason Dave called Hanyu's Hope and Legacy as empty and no transitions only means:
- He did not study it enough, or
- He lied.

Or... he should do more research before giving out a statement. Remember, turns, steps... can be counted. If he doesn't know to to recognize those moves and count them, don't give statements about them.

Last edited:

blackey

On the Ice
Hanyu's LP at WC and at 4CC have technically the same amount of transitions. Hanyu did adjust some part but overall not much difference. It is not like Hanyu had Zero transitions at 4CC and had 100 transitions at WC.

The only reason Dave called Hanyu's Hope and Legacy as empty and no transitions only means:
- He did not study it enough, or
- He lied

if you think "zero transition" literally means 0 transition I guess I have nothing to say

blackey

On the Ice
But though he never bothered to do research of his own field and fed off gossip and his own impressions, his 'zero transitions' still matter, don't they?
The question is, do his 'zero transitions' which get repeated by the ignorant afterwards deserve quite as much attention as a case of careful study?

tsl is a youtube channel he can do whatever he want and I really don't care them as much as you do

marlet

Rinkside
thank you so much to the fans involved in this project :hap10:, it must take a lot of effort and time to produce such video, so far this is one of my favourites performances from yuzu because it's worlds and it's a WR:love: I will sure use this video to learn more about figure skating:thank: