Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition

evangeline

Record Breaker
I've noticed that Medvedeva's Sailor Moon exhibition from WTT has gotten a lot of positive press from mainstream media outlets recently. For example:

Teen Vogue: Figure Skater Evgenia Medvedeva Performed to Sailor Moon Theme Song

ESPN: Evgenia Medvedeva recreates 'Sailor Moon' at World Team Trophy gala

The Daily Dot: Evgenia Medvedeva returns to the ice with another ‘Sailor Moon’ program

SB Nation: This 'Sailor Moon' ice skating routine will leave you feeling nostalgic

Unsurprisingly, a video of Evgenia's Sailor Moon exhibition on Youtube has reached almost 2 million views in less than a week: https://youtu.be/m2im6ka2UoQ

What do you think of Evgenia's Sailor Moon program? Given all this positive buzz, what other programs do you think would get a lot of attention from people who usually don't watch figure skating? I'm going to guess that Yuzuru Hanyu performing a Yuri on Ice exhibition would also get a lot of buzz as well....

moriel

Record Breaker
I suppose in general things related to popular movies / series.
For example, I would expect a game of thrones (not just music as Polina T did, but a skater actually in character) would attract attention.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
As a skating fan and as someone who grew up watching Sailor Moon, I love the attention that the program is getting.

(As a skating fan, I would love it even more if a competitive program was getting as much love! Though Evgenia's LP this season might not be the best vehicle for that....)

I hate the idea of skaters doing hammy exhibitions for the attention. Under no circumstances should Hanyu do ANYTHING related to Yuri on Ice. Evgenia's EX is special because she loves Sailor Moon so darn much. She isn't pandering to the public - she's doing it out of love!

Agree that GoT anything would get attention - and because the music is good without being overly silly, could make an in-character competition program. How have we not had someone playing Daenerys or Jon Snow yet?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I Loved Evgenia as Sailor Moon. I liked it much better than her competition programs. It seemed true to who she is and she inhabited the character and it was great! Yuzu would not inhabit 'Yuri on Ice' I think...it would look fake. JMO. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though. :laugh:

Last edited:
I suppose in general things related to popular movies / series.
For example, I would expect a game of thrones (not just music as Polina T did, but a skater actually in character) would attract attention.

Yeah, especially if someone did the Unburnt Dragon Queen lady. :yes:

Sam L

Medalist
The thing about Sailor Moon is that it's a cartoon that's old enough that's been in pop culture long enough that it's considered nostalgic and cute. Medvedeva loves it and it works so well for her. She is Sailor Moon.

Like someone said, I wish no one would do Yuri on Ice or something.

I love Game of Thrones music but I don't want anyone to be a character. I don't know. It just doesn't work imo. What Polina did was perfect. Just the music but the story is completely unrelated.

Rissa

Record Breaker
It's a prime example of an ex being perfectly suited to the audience.

The fun in the Sailor Moon program is that a skater is playing a Crystal Moon Princess wearing a sailor uniform.

A skater doing Yuri on Ice would play... a skater in a figure skating costume. I don't see that much potential in anybody playing a YoI character. And I'm pretty certain Hanyu would be the last person up for it, given all the comparisons already.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Reading comments on Kotaku: many people remembers (negatively) figure skating from what it used to be and the Olympics where programs are extremely serious even on the Gala but they are enjoying a lot more programs like this with such a freedom even on the choice of the theme.

http://kotaku.com/sailor-moon-still-works-as-a-figure-skating-routine-1794586305

Personally i like the program, just few weeks ago i've seen a Sailor Moon DLC on Monster Hunter XX so i think it's still a very popular character in japan, so i'm not surprised on the success. Good for figure skating.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is Sailor Moon? I'm serious, I'm not saying that to be snarky. I always think of Popeye the Sailor Man, which it clearly isn't. :laugh: but I'm not alone among the old folks my age and it's *not* a universal character.

That said, I always think it's wonderful when a skater can tap a popular vein or reach "other" fans in other areas, although I have no idea how to plan that. For example, Jason Brown's Riverdance went viral again last month on Facebook. 12.5 (that's *twelve*) million views in a month. How? A popular Irish music site posted the vid. 12 million fans of Irish music, 99% of whom could care less about skating, watched it. (And I didn't know the group who posted it, although evidently they're big in Irish music circles. So Sailor Moon isn't the only thing I don't know:drama:)

The person who can tap into these currents will do skating a great favor.

What is Sailor Moon? I'm serious, I'm not saying that to be snarky. I always think of Popeye the Sailor Man, which it clearly isn't. :laugh: but I'm not alone among the old folks my age and it's *not* a universal character....

Who is Sailor Moon?????? Next, you'll be asking who is Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon's boyfriend). ;)

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
What is Sailor Moon? I'm serious, I'm not saying that to be snarky. I always think of Popeye the Sailor Man, which it clearly isn't. :laugh: but I'm not alone among the old folks my age and it's *not* a universal character.

A magical-girl anime that was popular all over the world in the 90s. In my country it was impossible to miss if you were in the target demo. Heck, my younger brother watched it as religiously as Dragonball Z.

It got a makeover last year, I think, and got released again.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who is Sailor Moon? Next, you'll be asking who is Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon's boyfriend). ;)

Clearly you hang with the younger crowd; so I guess he's the equivalent of Olive Oyl? :laugh: (someone, somewhere must have skated to the Popeye theme, not that I'm going to look it up:biggrin:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What is Sailor Moon? I'm serious, I'm not saying that to be snarky. I always think of Popeye the Sailor Man, which it clearly isn't. :laugh: but I'm not alone among the old folks my age and it's *not* a universal character..

:drama: How can you not know? In the name of the moon, I'll punish you!

A clumsy, crybaby fourteen year old girl is given a special brooch by a talking cat. This brooch allows her to transform into the magical sailor scout warrior, Sailor Moon! Sailor Moon goes all over the place fighting for love and justice!, and saving people from the evil forces of the Negaverse (and Chaos) as they search for the Moon Princess and meet allies and enemies along the way. And then there's Tuxedo Mask, the mysterious older man who always seems to show up just in time to help Sailor Moon and her friends.

It got five seasons spanning about six or seven story arcs, and the list of characters got quite long (and Pluto is still a planet BECAUSE SAILOR PLUTO EXISTS *denial*). Among all of this, it had some pretty epic music in both the dub and the original Japanese version.

For some reason in my TV area they only had about 8 Sailor Moon episodes, which took the story up to the middle of the first adventure. Just when we were about to find out what was going on they ran out of episodes and started over. Sailor Jupiter was my fave. (She was the strongest. :) ).

My choice to do Popeye is Keegan Messing :rock: He is who he is!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Naoko Takeuchi the creator of Sailor Moon also drew a manga about figure skating before Sailor Moon. It's called The Cherry Project. At the end she describes her stylish self going to a figure skating competition...to watch Midori Ito, I think. I'll have to look around, I got this manga somewhere. It's about 30 years old....so

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
It is a PERFECT EX piece, using anime is a great strategy to not only entertain current skating fans but it can also attract new skating fans. She even appeared on 9gag lol

OmNomNomNom

Match Penalty
The success of Evgenia's ex could only come from: her own passion to the project, and its mass appeal to the public. The joy she exudes and visible enthusiasm to the programme is very infectious and endearing, and that's why people like to watch it in the first place. A famous skater cosplaying some random pop culture product will not attract the same attention if it's obviously a try-hard attempt to become viral. And as of right now, I don't think I've seen any skater so vocal about their interests as much as Zhenya was about Sailor Moon.

Also, the subject of what she's skating is also very important to successfully spread it to "normal people". Sailor Moon was a household name for a long period, the show had mass appeal and recognition ability. Even people who aren't fans might have heard/seen of it at some points. And it fits perfectly with Zhenya's personality. Her natural and genuine expressions helped sold the programme immensely.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Let's face it, any other past SENIOR ladies world champions doing the Sailor moon, e.g/ Katerina Witt, Kristi, Debi, Lu Chen, Midori, Michelle, Irina, Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Miki doing the OO~~ Kawaii!! Lolita 12 years old junior high school costume change would be consider as a complete and utter 'sell out', morbid and vomit inducing (although in many cases nose bleeds as well). It would be as ridiculous as finding Plushy and Patrick Chan doing the Tuxedo man mouthing a rose, top hat, blackcapes and Dame Edna Everage glasses. But hey... all in good fun! As long as it works as click bait in this wonderful internet age right?!

Can't wait to see the next titillating sensationalistic Brittany/KatiePerry/Taylor Swift baby baby... Can we have Pikachu on ice with Shoma too? Only fair!!

Who is Sailor Moon?????? Next, you'll be asking who is Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon's boyfriend). ;)

I am disturbed you know Tuxedo man lol... you always amaze me Mathman! :D

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
It would be as ridiculous as finding Plushy and Patrick Chan doing the Tuxedo man mouthing a rose, top hat, blackcapes and Dame Edna Everage glasses. But hey... all in good fun! As long as it works as click bait in this wonderful internet age right?!

Can't wait to see the next titillating sensationalistic Brittany/KatiePerry/Taylor Swift baby baby... Can we have Pikachu on ice with Shoma too? Only fair!!

Um...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHR0qjr79fQ

Last edited: