2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thank god. He's the best choreographer in Russia. And obviously, whoever in Mozer's camp has been doing their work thus far isn't inspired by them.

In general, they're more consistent across two programs than any other pair - Aliona two-foots those throws, and Queen Sui falls on the salchows.

T/M are a real threat for OGM, and they'll make their claim better with better programs. But having a T/M 2006 win (as in, they skated the cleanest and most unexciting so beat the real fan faves, but hey, that's competition) is super plausible. All the foreshadowing is there, even the initials!

If the judges are willing to give them those kinds of marks for these programs, then better programs will definitely make them an OGM threat. I do think S/H and S/M will have an edge... and even teams like J/C are closing the gap. To me, Stolbova/Klimov and Duhamel/Radford are the dark horses that, if healthy (gotta love that phrase :biggrin:) and skate as well as they can, could play spoiler.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I actually cant understand why S/K is considered the number 1 team inside Russia. T/M obviously showed better results this season, winning the GPF, Euros and WC Bronze. Why did the Fed still favour S/K more...?

Who (besides gmyers who definitely has NO inside info, lol) says they still are? The scoring at Nationals was somewhat questionable but that was obviously before Euros and Worlds. What are you basing this on?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Who (besides gmyers who definitely has NO inside info, lol) says they still are? The scoring at Nationals was somewhat questionable but that was obviously before Euros and Worlds. What are you basing this on?

But it was after gpf? Why didn't that mean t/m obviously win over an s/k that did horrible throws?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They do have Olympic silver but didn't have throws at Russian nationals.

Well, not to mention their SP at Worlds.

No question that T/M are the current Russian pairs #1. But I can picture S/K storming back next season if they have the right vehicles.

QuadThrow

Medalist
The Russian pair situation is a bit compicated. Have a look at the points.

I do not believe V/T to be competitive. Maxim focus is somewhere else. Their connection on the ice is brillian but the BV would be the lowest through the top field.

Stolbova and Klimov really have the components on their side. I really worry about their general GOE and their twist. I think the twist is the king element in pairs and the first four pairs at worlds own this element. Even if S/K come up with a 3-3 in the Free they miss a lot of points at the other elements like the lifts.

T/M achievements are really impressive this season. Their consistency with the elements is very good. But as you watched at worlds the judges still did not place them as possible Gold contenders for 2018. The judges put them behind S/M in the SP and let them drop at the components in the FP. And to be honest rightly so. Although their potential is incredible they really need a better FP and the 4Tw was not worth it so far. They got more points with the 3Tw.

andromache

Record Breaker
The Russian pair situation is a bit compicated. Have a look at the points.

I do not believe V/T to be competitive. Maxim focus is somewhere else. Their connection on the ice is brillian but the BV would be the lowest through the top field.

Stolbova and Klimov really have the components on their side. I really worry about their general GOE and their twist. I think the twist is the king element in pairs and the first four pairs at worlds own this element. Even if S/K come up with a 3-3 in the Free they miss a lot of points at the other elements like the lifts.

T/M achievements are really impressive this season. Their consistency with the elements is very good. But as you watched at worlds the judges still did not place them as possible Gold contenders for 2018. The judges put them behind S/M in the SP and let them drop at the components in the FP. And to be honest rightly so. Although their potential is incredible they really need a better FP and the 4Tw was not worth it so far. They got more points with the 3Tw.

V/T timed their peak perfectly with the Olympics - if the games had happened a year or two earlier or later they would've faced tougher competition. I think they would've given so much more to the sport if they didn't have OGM and could have a few more years of that competitive hunger. But hey! They have a baby and an OGM and that's great! We've had a few memorable programs from them, but maybe not as many as we could've. But in terms of post-IJS pairs skating, their legacy will be lacking in comparison to some of their competitors. They're done, and I highly doubt they'll come back. Which is fine - their happiness is most important.

S/K's weak twist wouldn't be such a big deal if their throws were more consistent. Inconsistent throws + a twist that is always weak = not as good as the other pairs, who each only have one major weakness instead of two. (S/M - 2ft throws, S/H - SBS, T/M - not very exciting.) But god, they have the best skating skills in the field.

T/M are the most technically sound team, but their consistency isn't perfect, and one mistake tends to lead to a few more mistakes. Still, gorgeous throws, solid SBS, amazing twist. Also excellent skating skills.

hanca

Record Breaker
V/T timed their peak perfectly with the Olympics - if the games had happened a year or two earlier or later they would've faced tougher competition. I think they would've given so much more to the sport if they didn't have OGM and could have a few more years of that competitive hunger. But hey! They have a baby and an OGM and that's great! We've had a few memorable programs from them, but maybe not as many as we could've. But in terms of post-IJS pairs skating, their legacy will be lacking in comparison to some of their competitors. They're done, and I highly doubt they'll come back. Which is fine - their happiness is most important.

S/K's weak twist wouldn't be such a big deal if their throws were more consistent. Inconsistent throws + a twist that is always weak = not as good as the other pairs, who each only have one major weakness instead of two. (S/M - 2ft throws, S/H - SBS, T/M - not very exciting.) But god, they have the best skating skills in the field.

T/M are the most technically sound team, but their consistency isn't perfect, and one mistake tends to lead to a few more mistakes. Still, gorgeous throws, solid SBS, amazing twist. Also excellent skating skills.
But S/K weak twist and throws have not been always so weak. It has been weak only since Klimov had the hsoulder injury. So I think there is still hope that it will heal itself eventually. I remember reading an interview with Mozer quite while ago explaining that the throws became unstable because his shoulder is still not right and he doesn't throw her the same way as he used to. Before their throws were really consistent.

joanne129

Rinkside

exactly. i hope the russian fed figured out t/m is the no. 1 pair right now. s/k's win at the russian nationals is definitely questionable. with t/m's solid performance in all of the important competitions in this season, i hope they can get more support from the fed next season.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I wonder how Kavaguti/Smirnov will fare next season. It would be great to see them at the Olympics in their form before Yuko's injury.

I'm not feeling Zabiiako/Enbert, though they could be interesting next quad.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Proklova made progress? Is she still skating pairs? Pics...videos??? Anything?

hanca

Record Breaker
I think we will find out in about a month, if they submit her name as a part of the pair, or if Deputat will be submitted on his own. I haven't seen Deputat's name on icepartnersearch or on Russian version of it, so he is probably skating with someone, but whether it is with Proklova we don't know at this stage. If I recall correctly, the skaters must submit any changes in partnerships or coach changes by certain date, because at the end of May there is some skating federation meeting that approves the changes and decides on funding. Or at least, this is how it has been the past few years.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Tatjana Flade, Oleg Vasiliev has moved to St. Petersburg and is coaching in Moskvina's new rink. He is there with Deputat who is trying out new partners (Proklova reportedly has a back injury). Efimova/Korovin has switched from Pavlova to Vasiliev. Also, Boikova/Kozlovskii are getting their long program choreographed by Tchernyshev (music TBD).

Link on FSU (post #985 and 987): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...er-to-spring-2017.100605/page-33#post-5075073

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder how Kavaguti/Smirnov will fare next season. It would be great to see them at the Olympics in their form before Yuko's injury.

I'm not feeling Zabiiako/Enbert, though they could be interesting next quad.

Life isn't fair but I really hope K and S shock everyone with a return and win a medal. Unlikely though. I don't think Yuko has the power of Savchenko because I see similarities but Savchenko is younger and luckier. Both are determined and have strong partners.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I think they have a chance if they hit. The third pair spot is wide open for Russia.

Just get the quad sal properly executed and they are in with a big chance!

LRK

Record Breaker
Doesn't trankov sound like he's never going to compete?

I think that he said in an interview that their return was 90% unlikely - if I recall correctly? So to say that he doesn't sound terribly keen would be an understatement. He does seem to want to end their career either at the test events or at Nationals, however - as an appropriate place to formally "announce" their retirement. But the fact remains that officially no decision has been made.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think that he said in an interview that their return was 90% unlikely - if I recall correctly? So to say that he doesn't sound terribly keen would be an understatement. He does seem to want to end their career either at the test events or at Nationals, however - as an appropriate place to formally "announce" their retirement. But the fact remains that officially no decision has been made.

There are a few issues with this tbh
Based on their interviews, it seems that they arent getting that much work offers (at some point trankov said quite a bit about few work opportunities as pair coach).
Which means they may want to keep skating in competition, for example to skate in the team event (which is probably doable), and get some extra spotlight to earn more money in shows etc.