Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2017-18 Coaching Changes

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    Elena Vaytsekhovskaya said Elena left because she was upset at how much attention Kovtun was getting, and he's someone who requires a lot of attention. Her words, not mine Rumor of course, but Elena V. seem to know inside stuff (well she's an interviewer) which is why I always read her comments for rumors And there's no rumor yet of Kovtun leaving. She said she may interview Rad after she returns from Canada, was going to do it prior but had to write her book

Any how, Rad needed a change. Her skating has stagnated and she is still unpolished after 3.5 years as a senior. I don't see this being a bad move She could use Tagaeva who will help with her posture and arm movements and Zavosin who can drill skating skills.
    She didn't say that. She clearly stated that all of it is just her speculations and her understanding of why the change could have happened.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippuripihvi View Post
    She didn't say that. She clearly stated that all of it is just her speculations and her understanding of why the change could have happened.
    Yes which is why I said just rumors of course.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    I keep wondering if Hawayek and Baker may be looking for a change. Jean-Luc is so talented and Kaitlyn is coming along but their size similarity requires some innovative lifts and unique body mechanics. Marina, Igor and the like may be too involved with their heavy hitters for the Olympics. But if H/B don't improve this year I would think they'd be looking for a change once the post-Olympic teams retire.

Medalist

7 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    But if H/B don't improve this year I would think they'd be looking for a change once the post-Olympic teams retire.
    They improved this year. They just didn't improve in their performance at Nationals.

1 Not allowed!
    Voronov is still going to work with Goncharenko.
    https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1050930253.html

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    I did, although I can't confirm whether it was with D/L or David Wilson.
    I've also read something similar. At one of their Meet and Greets, I think someone asked VM about why they didn't leave Marina after the 2012-2013 season. Apparently Skate Canada nixed the idea. If VM left, it would cement the idea that Marina favored DW and in the judges eyes that would make VM appear weaker, especially as they were headed into the Olympic season. This was of course, outside of the fact that while they were with Marina, she didn't like her skaters working with others.

Don't quote me on this though, I may be mixing it up with some other story.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Radionova always came across as being very close to her coach, that's why I was surprised.

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen in other thread that Liza Nugumanova and Petr Gumennik has left Mishin to be coached by Veronika Daineko. Has she coached any known skater(s)?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    Elena Vaytsekhovskaya said Elena left because she was upset at how much attention Kovtun was getting, and he's someone who requires a lot of attention. Her words, not mine Rumor of course, but Elena V. seem to know inside stuff (well she's an interviewer) which is why I always read her comments for rumors And there's no rumor yet of Kovtun leaving. She said she may interview Rad after she returns from Canada, was going to do it prior but had to write her book

Any how, Rad needed a change. Her skating has stagnated and she is still unpolished after 3.5 years as a senior. I don't see this being a bad move She could use Tagaeva who will help with her posture and arm movements and Zavosin who can drill skating skills.
    Plus Buyanova's power. As a matter of fact, she now is on Russia National Team, while Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Litpniskaya are not.

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosy14 View Post
    Plus Buyanova's power. As a matter of fact, she now is on Russia National Team, while Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Litpniskaya are not.
    I agree with you about Buianova's power having the potential to benefit Radionova. But are you implying that's why Radionova is on the national team and Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, and Lipnitskaia aren't? Radionova is on the national team because, while her season wasn't outstanding, she still delivered. The others didn't (and I say this as a fan of both Liza and Julia). I don't think her being on the national team is reflective of who her coach is. (Sorry if I've misunderstood you.)

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dance View Post
    They improved this year. They just didn't improve in their performance at Nationals.
    Unholy Fluke Fall Batman! And it was one of their best performances up to that point. But one fall at the wrong time can, as we saw, kill a season.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Unholy Fluke Fall Batman! And it was one of their best performances up to that point. But one fall at the wrong time can, as we saw, kill a season.
    It was two falls, I'm afraid. And, to be honest, Hawayek & Baker were a bit jittery in the SD as well. Trying too hard, I think. But their season was over anyway, and they had defeated Sinitsina & Katsalapov and Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson in competition this season. Plus gotten close to Guignard & Fabbri at Golden Spin, despite fizzling the twizzles a bit there. Which leaves them hovering around 12th/13th in the world if you compare teams head-to-head.

Better for H&B that it happened at this year's Nationals. The field at U.S. Nationals will be deeper this coming year, and a lot more will be on the line.

0 Not allowed!
    I think it should be clarified that Liza, Adelina and Julia are on the reserve senior team, as is, I believe, Alena.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Igor has too many teams?

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by larat View Post
    Igor has too many teams?
    I think Hawayek & Baker genuinely benefited from working with Camerlengo this season. They were essentially number one in the rink, and it showed within their programs & improvement.

(Igor has Chock & Bates, who have reportedly said they are staying in; Pogrebinsky & Benoit, the team that slid past H&B's messy free skate at Nationals; and Carreira & Ponomarenko, who will not move up right away but likely will within 2 years--three teams likely hoping to be fighting for the same world team spots down the line).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3