Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

Kittosuni

Medalist
People always associates Medvedeva's winning through her tano's and backloading but people are forgetting her non- jumping elements are done extremely well.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I dont think Kaetlyn's FS program content can beat Zhenya but Gracie can if she skates clean

I don't know what happens if they all skate clean, but a chance still a chance. Kaetlyn has a chance if she does everything she can:) All the hard jumps, spins etc...The score at least COULD/would be nearer

andromache

Record Breaker
People always associates Medvedeva's winning through her tano's and backloading but people are forgetting her non- jumping elements are done extremely well.

They are, but there are skaters out there with non-jump elements that are as good if not better. Alina is a better spinner, I'd say, as is Karen Chen. Satoko is probably the best spinner among current competitive top ladies and has excellent footwork as well (though of course her jumps are tiny.)

I would say Evgenia has excellent quality for all of her elements - no glaring weaknesses - but none of them are the best in the world. Her transitions are the best in the world, but those are obviously not individual elements.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
IMO, if Medvedeva is clean, she is untouchable. And she's usually clean or close to clean. Considering Osmond and Gold have yet to deliver a clean SP+FS I don't think they could challenge her. Gurl has 160 points in a FS, and her layout is harder than Osmond or Gold. The math is in her favour.

Barb

Record Breaker
I did watch Asada when she was young. I remember many of her jumps didn't have flow. Of course it's still high standard for those days. But it doesn't mean I have to say Asada's jumps were super. They were not, in my opinion.

The judges were very strict with Mao, nowadays many skaters (men and women) get a pass, even the world medalists. The fact that the judges do not mark them, does not mean that the skaters do not have those problems. Of course, whenever someone wants to discuss these topics in the forum, moderators remove threads and ban them, but that does not mean that the skaters of now are technically perfect.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The judges were very strict with Mao, nowadays many skaters (men and women) get a pass, even the world medalists. The fact that the judges do not mark them, does not mean that the skaters do not have those problems. Of course, whenever someone wants to discuss these topics in the forum, moderators remove threads and ban them, but that does not mean that the skaters of now are technically perfect.

I don't they were stricter compared to others. And indeed later in her career she's had inconsistent judging where she'd get +GOE for a two footed 3A but then get a UR called on what most would say is a clean 3F (Sochi). PCS however is an area where they've been unduly harsh on her, and perhaps that is due to her being labelled as a "technical" skater.

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't know what happens if they all skate clean, but a chance still a chance. Kaetlyn has a chance if she does everything she can:) All the hard jumps, spins etc...The score at least COULD/would be nearer

Well, dunno about Gracie, we haven't seen a clean Gracie in ages, but Kaetlyn...

Looking at Worlds 2017:
SP: both skated clean, Med got 79, and Kaetlyn got 76, which means 3 points difference. I can actually see Kaetlyn to close this gap, but not beat Medvedeva (for example, she can move her 3Lz to second half and so on)
FS: Med skated clean and got 154. Kaetlyn messed up a jump and doubled another, and got 142. That is a 12 points gap. So lets see: a clean 2A+3T would give her +1.5 point. A 3Lo with nice goe would give her +5 points. Step sequence lv 4 would increase her score by another 1.5.
That all makes 8 points.

Which means there would be a 4 points difference between clean Med and a clean Kaetlyn.
Sounds doable indeed, specially if Kaetlyn manages a few cleanish skates during the season to boost her PCs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not sure if those point additions are quite accurate (eg she did a double loop which got over two points, so it's not likely that she'll make up 5 points were it a triple). Also Medvedeva has scored 160 since (albeit at WTT where generous scoring and records/personal bests are the norm). Kaetlyn has a shot, but Medvedeva has to make a major error.

moriel

Record Breaker
Not sure if those point additions are quite accurate (eg she did a double loop which got over two points, so it's not likely that she'll make up 5 points were it a triple). Also Medvedeva has scored 160 since (albeit at WTT where generous scoring and records/personal bests are the norm). Kaetlyn has a shot, but Medvedeva has to make a major error.

I don't coult WTT basically bcause those scores are insane.
But dunno, i think a perfectly clean Kaetlyn, with not a single mistake, everything level 4, everything positive GOE, has a chance against a clean but a bit off Medvedeva.
But then, what was the last time Kaetlyn skated a FS like that?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't coult WTT basically bcause those scores are insane.
But dunno, i think a perfectly clean Kaetlyn, with not a single mistake, everything level 4, everything positive GOE, has a chance against a clean but a bit off Medvedeva.
But then, what was the last time Kaetlyn skated a FS like that?

Perhaps but Medvedeva's backloading helps a lot. Osmond needs to move some of her difficult content towards the second half.

Osmond could get higher marks for jump quality if she added more transitions (particularly on the exits of her jumps). But I don't think her jumps are as reliable as Medvedeva so she goes with what's comfortable.

I could picture Osmond beating Medvedeva on PCS, but Medvedeva optimizes her TES far more efficiently than Osmond does.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No one can beat clean Medvedeva. Nice and simple. If she is not clean...well, a variety of possibilities.

The question is, how much will the judges lower her PCS if she makes an error? The judges now give 10's to top skaters, even with flawed skates. I suppose 9.75 with a fall, 9.50 with two? ;) She could fall twice and still pull 9.00+ (72 PCS) at this point.

moriel

Record Breaker
The question is, how much will the judges lower her PCS if she makes an error? The judges now give 10's to top skaters, even with flawed skates. I suppose 9.75 with a fall, 9.50 with two? ;) She could fall twice and still pull 9.00+ (72 PCS) at this point.

The main issue about competition is that the competition needs to skate clean when Medvedeva does a mistake.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
wow its the 1st time reading this article

couldnt have imagined Sergei of all ppl being a mommy's boy:reye::jaw:

Ender

Match Penalty
wow its the 1st time reading this article

couldnt have imagined Sergei of all ppl being a mommy's boy:reye::jaw:
I read an interview of his before and from that he gave the vibe of an independent man. How you view yourself of course is vastly different from how other people view yourself. I thought he might be difficult but being a mommy'a boy is a bit weird. He is 30 already.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Italian/Greek/Shanghainese men at age 60+ are still mummy's boy. This ain't a bad thing.

On the other hand, I once nominated Eteri for coach of the year (Pre-Sochi) as she is clearly the most intelligent and ruthless coach who understand the Pros and Cons of the COP system, and take full advantage of it with her factory production, cherry pick the ideal skater at their prime, young, thin, hungry and malleable, and not ripe and injury prone.

To see the ongoing abuse of the COP says more about the mismanagement of the sport by ISU than about her.

Ender

Match Penalty
^ I would say I don't mind the judging and skating based on math, I mind the judging and skating in which the technique and skating have been judged inconsistently and unfairly.
At least Tutberidze's students often deserve their medals because they're more consistent than the rest in general.