Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Thread: Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ewdokia View Post
    Considering the Yags – Plushy story one has to take into account that when Alexej was still very young, Alexej’s father left them to live with another family. He in particular might have been looking for a bit of a father substitute in his coach and I assume that he might have been extremely hurt when Mishin preferred Plushy (he possibly felt that just another psychological parent neglected him). It’s a very special case.
    I see. So Yagudin got the motherly love from Tarasova. I don't know about other male skaters's condition and relationships with their coaches so much. But it seems male skaters need more attention and cuddling than ladies? It's funny to see this happening.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutto View Post
    I don't 'buy' that theory that boys are in a greater need of pity and empathy. Girls need support too, it just those girls who got as far as they done to be in Eteri's group - have already gone through a 'sieve' of immense competition which the Russian ladies field is at the moment. They have to be immensely strong mentally and even if they want some emotional support they would not want to show it in fear to be replaced by the next in line.
    The situation with boys is totally different and by the way Buianova confirms in that interview discussed above that not many boys come and from those who began skating after the first year many leave for hockey - probably the strongest mentally-hockey is seen as a more masculine sport compared to FS?
    And it is not like Eteri is incapable of emotional support - she is all the smiles & hugs in the K&C when her students win, it is when things begin go south she turns on a 'I am not emotional person' mode.
    I actually think you and Eteri share a lot of the same mindset, tbh XDDD. Ever thought of taking up coaching ? hehe

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OniBan View Post
    I actually think you and Eteri share a lot of the same mindset, tbh XDDD. Ever thought of taking up coaching ? hehe
    ?????????????????????

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I remember watching some documentaries about promising Russian ballerinas and one of them was turned away from some lucrative school just because her legs were 1cm too short regarding her torso
    I actually think this type of selection is a good idea, kind of an example of having to be cruel to be kind.
    I was put in swimming from 12 months old (predominantly because Australian children all love to swim), and as I loved it, it just became "my" sport and I continued to train and compete through college. However being only 5'3, 98lbs, I was at a distinct disadvantage considering that many other girls could easily be 5'10 + and a good 30 + pounds heavier. When national team coaches would see me for the first time, they would think I was an extremely talented 12 year old, as twelve year olds are already quite big in in stature in swimming! Lol.
    I was adopted as a baby, and so my parents had no idea what body type I would grow up to have...if only they'd known I'd have a pretty ideal skating physique!! *sigh* (well, and the money to pursue it ).
    So yes, it does seem harsh to turn away a young child, but long term it is much better for them to be placed in sports that they have the body type to succeed more easily.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaCC View Post
    I actually think this type of selection is a good idea, kind of an example of having to be cruel to be kind.
    I was put in swimming from 12 months old (predominantly because Australian children all love to swim), and as I loved it, it just became "my" sport and I continued to train and compete through college. However being only 5'3, 98lbs, I was at a distinct disadvantage considering that many other girls could easily be 5'10 + and a good 30 + pounds heavier. When national team coaches would see me for the first time, they would think I was an extremely talented 12 year old, as twelve year olds are already quite big in in stature in swimming! Lol.
    I was adopted as a baby, and so my parents had no idea what body type I would grow up to have...if only they'd known I'd have a pretty ideal skating physique!! *sigh* (well, and the money to pursue it ).
    So yes, it does seem harsh to turn away a young child, but long term it is much better for them to be placed in sports that they have the body type to succeed more easily.
    Some years ago in one of the threads here I wrote about the selection in my country . This is a well-known method, for example in handball the sport clubs announce a recruitment selection. The trainers measure and ask many things. The children's age, weight, height, foots' size, the hands' size, the parents' height. The handball needs very athletic sportmen in general.

But unfortunately this doesn't really work today. The children don't want to do sports. Thus every sports are happy if they can get kids. Any kids! Despite our system is similar to the Russian system. Many things are state-funded not everything as was in the communist era but many things!

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Even if you're not adopted, it's still difficult to tell exactly how your body would grow up.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Even if you're not adopted, it's still difficult to tell exactly how your body would grow up.
    True. I remember McKayla Maloney saying that she was worried that she might grow too tall for gymnastics as she wasn't sure whether she'd be tall like her Dad or short like Mom.

I imagine in most cases though there is at least a semblance of an idea of who your child might turn out like.

Personally I place my faith in that hand-scan thing (don't know the proper name) that dentists use to determine how much growth a child has left (performed in order to determine whether or when to remove wisdom teeth etc). However even that probably can't be performed until a child has already reached the age of training heavily in their chosen sport.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Some years ago in one of the threads here I wrote about the selection in my country . This is a well-known method, for example in handball the sport clubs announce a recruitment selection. The trainers measure and ask many things. The children's age, weight, height, foots' size, the hands' size, the parents' height. The handball needs very athletic sportmen in general.

But unfortunately this doesn't really work today. The children don't want to do sports. Thus every sports are happy if they can get kids. Any kids! Despite our system is similar to the Russian system. Many things are state-funded not everything as was in the communist era but many things!
    We had this system in Australian, testing took place in our high schools to determine arm reach, speed, vertical jump etc, it was in the lead up to and wake of the Sydney Olympics. It mainly selected students for sports like rowing and cycling though, sports that can be taken up at an older age, and yes it too was a government funded initiative.
    It didn't extend to all sports and certainly didn't include winter sports, unfortunately.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    True. I remember McKayla Maloney saying that she was worried that she might grow too tall for gymnastics as she wasn't sure whether she'd be tall like her Dad or short like Mom.

I imagine in most cases though there is at least a semblance of an idea of who your child might turn out like.

Personally I place my faith in that hand-scan thing (don't know the proper name) that dentists use to determine how much growth a child has left (performed in order to determine whether or when to remove wisdom teeth etc). However even that probably can't be performed until a child has already reached the age of training heavily in their chosen sport.
    My mom was chubby and my father was chubby, so when I was a kid I wouldn't know how I would look like when I grew up. It would be easier if both parents are equally high or short.

Anyway, I agree some certain body types are meant for some certain sports. It doesn't mean there is not outliner

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27