Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017 | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Adian as well as Julia and Sergei are just too much of class acts to give “equally honest” interviews. People who followed their careers closely, know anyways what happened... I wish I had a puke icon to insert here.

Oh, come on. Once again, you are either an insider who knows something that regular guys like me do not know or you live in your imaginary black and white world where some people are evil and the other are "class act". But it's also possible that hundreds of words you already posted in this thread are just meant to provoke disgust in the readers ("puke" is just the last example) against the coach whose lady students are likely to win everything next season including Oly same as they won this season.

In fact, I've said all I wanted to say on the topic before any new real information turns up. And I hope that when I watch the ladies competition next February I shall see Eteri's girls taking the first two places not caring if some people on GS are going to puke after that or not.

Last edited:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Oh, come on. Once again, you are either an insider who knows something that regular guys like me do not know or you live in your imaginary black and white world where some people are evil and the other are "class act". But it's also possible that hundreds of words you already posted in this thread are just meant to provoke disgust in the readers ("puke" is just the last example) against the coach whose lady students are likely to win everything next season including Oly same as they won this season.

In fact, I've said all I wanted to say on the topic before any new real information turns up. And I hope that when I watch the ladies competition next February I shall see Eteri's girls taking the first two places not caring if some people on GS are going to puke after that or not.
At least I know what is black and white and don’t idealize a coach having “honesty” discrediting former skaters whose career she might have ruined and even commiserate that this coach got no proper return on investment. If I live in a black and white world, than you even more, but I think you mix up the sides. And you don’t need to be an insider (worried I could come out with even more refutations?) to know certain things, you just need to do proper research – the net is for free. Luckily today we don’t have to rely on one coach’s / skater’s statements, but can crosscheck with other sources. If you are not prepared to do so and rely on “belief in Eteri” solely that’s your problem. Keep on living in your phantasy world, where she didn’t know about any injuries, must be a good person as you saw her laughing together with Zhenia. :rofl2:

I do apolologize for the puke, I follow your wording and now call the post made by you I referred to with that disgusting and cite it again (obviously you didn’t manage to, cause you cited me wrongly and I may ask you here not to cite me in a manipulated way as you merged two text parts that had not been written in context):
“It is very possible that many things similar or even harsher than Pitkeev's case have happened in the FS world. The only Eteri's guilt is that she speaks openly about things that other keep in the darkest closet.”

So what’s the essence of your post: It’s ok if Eteri might cause serious damage to health of underage skaters (= no guilt), some might do even worse, but hey, she is honest. :shocked:

As for the “real information” – apparently for you as “real” information only Eteri’s words count (the latest ones of course, as she seems to change her views quite often), as you did totally ignore all facts / sources to prove that some situations described in that interview do not fit reality (e.g. how Adian headed to Euros). But I’m sure you are disgusted that it’s pretty easy for others to give evidence that some statements in that interview are pretty fishy. ;)

And if Eteri’s athletes win more titles, so what does it prove? Certainly not that she has the only right for truth like you pretend. :rolleye:

Last edited:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Polina Shelepen answered a few questions regarding Eteri’s interview on her ask:

https://ask.fm/Pelageia95/answers/142642893330
- There is information you ran away that time from Novogorsk?
- I ran away, but came back to say goodbye, which of course had not been mentioned.

https://ask.fm/Pelageia95/answers/142652285714
- Eteri doesn’t tell the first time you didn’t say goodbye. Now did you say goodbye or not?
- I came to say goodbye, but they didn’t let me enter the territory, there was such an order. So I handed over the flowers together with a letter by the security, she even wrote me a sms saying “thank you”.

Surprise, surprise: a different version than the one Eteri gave in her interview. :biggrin:

hanca

Record Breaker
I am disgusted by Tutberidze for making it like if no one said goodbye, and yet they did...I am disappointed about how she speaks about her previous students. It is over a year ago that Yulia and Pitkeev and Voronov left. Isn't that too long to hold grudges?

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Calm down a bit, ewdokia. So long as her factory can produce more champions in the future, Eteri will be allowed to do whatever she wants. I just feel a little sad for these aspiring children and their pushy parents. In this whole production process based on the "Survival of the Fittest", most of them have lost much more than they gained. I will never get excited for those so-called "Quad Girls".

ewdokia

On the Ice
Calm down a bit, ewdokia. So long as her factory can produce more champions in the future, Eteri will be allowed to do whatever she wants. I just feel a little sad for these aspiring children and their pushy parents. In this whole production process based on the "Survival of the Fittest", most of them have lost much more than they gained. I will never get excited for those so-called "Quad Girls".

Unfortunately I think you made a valid point: Eteri can pretty much do what she wants without fed or anyone else interfering as long as it results in medals. And I fear that other coaches might actually be pushed to move that direction of working in “end justifies mean” – style as well. :(

Calming down is said easy. I do care if not only the career but even reputation of kids whose skating I've been following since they’ve been age 12-13 is at stake. In particular if they (or their family) can’t defend, which might well be the case with Adian. It’s obvious his injury demands a long and intensive treatment, so he is dependent on Russian Fed supporting him, so he and his surrounding certainly won’t start war with Eteri. It’s the reason why at the moment I don’t focus so much on Julia: she has a sponsor on her side and I think she will soon make a statement on her future plans and she is prominent enough, so she will have a stage to address statements made by Eteri if she wants to, so I wait if there will be any comments from her side.

Concerning pushy parents: If Eteri’s methods are always camouflaged by shifting responsibility for failure to skaters, parents or just anybody else then the coach, I think it’s very difficult for parents to make a proper choice. Extremly Pushy parents is one thing. There will be always a few parents, who are more interested in having a potential Olympic Champion as a son / daughter for egoistic purposes (maybe for lacking perspective in their own lives). Questioning Eteri’ approach in this case wouldn’t help, they still would choose this type of coach. But then there are parents who really want the best for their children, but unfortunately they don’t have any background in elite sports. Now whom do you thing they believe, at least as long as they think things might turn out well? Of course the coach / the expert. Have you ever spoken to such a parent? Unfortunately I’ve experienced such a coach on a much lower level. And when that coach started to work at my rink, short term there was lot of success. One kid practicing there was exceptionally talented and about 2 ½ years ago I spoke to his mother, making a critical comment on that coach’s methods. That mom was sure it is the best for her kid, a professional coach like her must know and success proves that coach right. Meanwhile that skater underwent two difficult surgeries, the 2nd one after a possibly career ending injury, mostly caused as that coach made the kid jump too early again. I talked with that mom during a competition a couple of months ago and I can tell you she was close to tears telling me about the injury and how she tried to find the best doctors so she could assure the kid would be healthy again. It’s hard not to get emotional on this issue once you have seen how much suffering and damage a selfish coach can cause. Had the methods of this coach been properly addressed – and not by the parents, but by other coaches, officials, so experts in this sport, whom parents can rely on, this 2nd category of parents probably would have made another choice on their kid's coach. :roll9:

One side note on Russian Fed: I think Eteri was pretty lucky she got away with Adian and should kiss Misha Kolyada’s feet. Had Misha not managed to get back in that season, but let’s say half a year later, situation would have been completely different. It’s obvious in this case the goals of Russian fed and Eteri’s goals differed: starting 2014 Russian fed was visibly trying to build up Adian beside Maxim Kovtun as a 2nd medal contender for the OG in 2018, if only for the team event. Without Misha, Russian Fed’s chances to keep a 2nd sport at Worlds 2016 would have looked pretty dark: Sergei was affected by the conflict with Eteri, having weak programs and not skating well that season, Sasha Petrov was still quadless, Samarin and Aliew were very inconsistent, just like Maxim Kovtun. So Eteri’s goal, to win a Russian title in men, not caring about Adian’s long term perspective at all, was pretty much in contradiction with Russian Fed’s interests. And right after Nationals, when Russian Fed still felt insecure if Misha could produce at major events, she was even publicly criticized. Victor Kudriavtzev openly stated she made a bad choice that Adian didn’t withdraw after the short and that she showed lack of strategy. This might have been also been the reason why RF didn’t interfere the coaching change, tough at Sambo there was big outcry. :drama:

I think Eteri herself is pretty much aware that Adian’s case is the one where she is most vulnerable for attack, which is the reason why she lashed out on him in the most personal way, though Sergei and Julia are more decorated skaters (with Julia e.g. one can also always blame puberty). It also shows that her system actually isn't so much survival of the fittest, but survival of the material which manages to produce Eteri’s demanded competitive result. I'd rather call that system "survive the purpose". It’s paradox to think that Vakhtang for example survived the system while Adian did not, simply because of Vakthang showing less technical abilities and mental strength in Juniors: Eteri saw less potential in him, so he didn’t pressure him as strong to learn quads quickly or to compete injured like Adian. Interestingly enough Vakhtang himself states that he is one of the lazier skates in that group. Dasha Panenkova is another proof. If it would be only survival of the fittest, she probably wouldn’t have stayed behind Polina in Sambo’s pecking order at the beginning of the season. Luckily for Polina, Dasha isn’t eligible for seniors / the next OG. Though I’m happy that with all her difficulties Polina at least has timing on her side, as I really like her. :)

moriel

Record Breaker
I think i've said everything I had on this topic, until there is more reliable info.
Haters gonna hate no matter what, i suppose. I somehow feel we read two different interviews.

tars

Record Breaker
Unfortunately I’ve experienced such a coach on a much lower level. And when that coach started to work at my rink, short term there was lot of success. One kid practicing there was exceptionally talented and about 2 ½ years ago I spoke to his mother, making a critical comment on that coach’s methods. That mom was sure it is the best for her kid, a professional coach like her must know and success proves that coach right. Meanwhile that skater underwent two difficult surgeries, the 2nd one after a possibly career ending injury, mostly caused as that coach made the kid jump too early again. I talked with that mom during a competition a couple of months ago and I can tell you she was close to tears telling me about the injury and how she tried to find the best doctors so she could assure the kid would be healthy again. It’s hard not to get emotional on this issue once you have seen how much suffering and damage a selfish coach can cause. Had the methods of this coach been properly addressed – and not by the parents, but by other coaches, officials, so experts in this sport, whom parents can rely on, this 2nd category of parents probably would have made another choice on their kid's coach. :roll9:
Omg, I'm so triggered right now, I can't. Like I'm so emotional it hurts. Like seriously, what the heck do they do to those children? Coaches hurting little children with their incompetence, like is it for real? I can't even think straight reading stories like that. This so messed up. Mother of a child cried, while that coach was destroying child's health right before her eyes. This is so frustrating, I bet that coach was simply following Eteri's example, like she poisoned her/his mind. Like I've read somewhere those evil people have such strong influence on others, like in sects, right?
I mean, I'm not saying Eteri is some kind of cult leader, but like, she was in US some time ago so it's quite possible someone from Disney have visited her rink and... :eek:
https://youtu.be/rRSNmPC6PR0?t=52

ewdokia

On the Ice
Omg, I'm so triggered right now, I can't. Like I'm so emotional it hurts. Like seriously, what the heck do they do to those children? Coaches hurting little children with their incompetence, like is it for real? I can't even think straight reading stories like that. This so messed up. Mother of a child cried, while that coach was destroying child's health right before her eyes. This is so frustrating, I bet that coach was simply following Eteri's example, like she poisoned her/his mind. Like I've read somewhere those evil people have such strong influence on others, like in sects, right?
I mean, I'm not saying Eteri is some kind of cult leader, but like, she was in US some time ago so it's quite possible someone from Disney have visited her rink and... :eek:
https://youtu.be/rRSNmPC6PR0?t=52
You don’t get it, do you? The difference between getting injured due to the risk involved in this sport (this one you have to take or leave it) and not letting injuries heal properly. A prime responsibility of the coach! And yes, I’m touched when a kid I personally know just started to compete in juniors and possibly can’t continue because of such a mistake and a parent is full of regrets. You may call it Disney, for me it was once more proof how important this issue is. It’s just the worst thing which can happen to a skater, if she/he can’t continue due to health reasons, in particular when it’s due to stupidity of not curing in time or letting an injury heal. This certainly applies to Eteri – remember e.g. Polina mentioning she got knee problems again because she intended to skate at JGPF and so they were rushing preparation? Even when she mentioned it was her initiative, it was her coaches job to prevent that. So basically I can’t see any learning effect by Eteri, which means the problem is not lack of experience, but lack of ethics in this area. And to a certain point I don’t even understand it with a coach at her level, cause quite often by doing so she seems to burn the top skaters in her group. It's rather the weaker skaters - if any - who get a chance to cure injuries than those in the spotlight. Very strange! :scratch2:

But it’s quite interesting how people defending Eteri move on to call others haters which is just the easiest way to avoid factual discussion or start kidding Disney. :rolleye:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Moving to another topic: is anyone wondering on the part on Sima in that interview? Poor girl, no wonder she started to skate inconsistently (and teaching consistency I consider as one of Eteri’s biggest strength). I wonder how often she must have woken up scared in the night just by slightest noise in the flat fearing a burglar would be there. If I recall it right, she moved to Moscow as there were problems with funding / ice time in St. Pete. Now she placed 2nd at Worlds in 2014 and won both JGP-events next season. It makes you wonder why Russian Fed / Sambo could not step in and help such a promising skater with housing problems. I can’t imagine so much extra money would have been needed to solve that problem? :confused:

andromache

Record Breaker
Moving to another topic: is anyone wondering on the part on Sima in that interview? Poor girl, no wonder she started to skate inconsistently (and teaching consistency I consider as one of Eteri’s biggest strength). I wonder how often she must have woken up scared in the night just by slightest noise in the flat fearing a burglar would be there. If I recall it right, she moved to Moscow as there were problems with funding / ice time in St. Pete. Now she placed 2nd at Worlds in 2014 and won both JGP-events next season. It makes you wonder why Russian Fed / Sambo could not step in and help such a promising skater with housing problems. I can’t imagine so much extra money would have been needed to solve that problem? :confused:

I don't know anything about neighborhoods in Moscow - but in the US, more expensive neighborhoods have less crime than neighborhoods that cost less money. Anyway, some extra $$$$ per year seems like a reasonable investment for someone who could've been a second Evgenia. If these were the years leading up to Sochi, more money may have been spent on behalf of a potential medal winner.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't know anything about neighborhoods in Moscow - but in the US, more expensive neighborhoods have less crime than neighborhoods that cost less money. Anyway, some extra $$$$ per year seems like a reasonable investment for someone who could've been a second Evgenia. If these were the years leading up to Sochi, more money may have been spent on behalf of a potential medal winner.

As far as i know in Moscow is pretty much the same.

Especially the first rings are safe but also the most expensive places in Russia and as you go outside in the suburbs it can get a little messy.

Regarding the federation, the thing is in the past few years we've seen many russian skaters in juniors looking to be the best in the world, and then quickly disappear because of many reasons: Alexandra Proklova, Polina Shelepen, now even Polina Tsurskaya is a question mark... So until they move to seniors i don't think the fed cares that much.

Also my only criticism with the RusFed is that to me they are not supporting St. Peter's skaters enough, definitely not as much as Moscow skaters which is a bummer and now Sima is with Rukavicin who is possibly the most screwed coach ever, so i hope eventually someone like Mishin will understand the potential of this girl and giving her a second chance, maybe after the Olympics.

Last edited:

tars

Record Breaker
You don’t get it, do you? The difference between getting injured due to the risk involved in this sport (this one you have to take or leave it) and not letting injuries heal properly. A prime responsibility of the coach! And yes, I’m touched when a kid I personally know just started to compete in juniors and possibly can’t continue because of such a mistake and a parent is full of regrets. You may call it Disney, for me it was once more proof how important this issue is. It’s just the worst thing which can happen to a skater, if she/he can’t continue due to health reasons, in particular when it’s due to stupidity of not curing in time or letting an injury heal. This certainly applies to Eteri – remember e.g. Polina mentioning she got knee problems again because she intended to skate at JGPF and so they were rushing preparation? Even when she mentioned it was her initiative, it was her coaches job to prevent that. So basically I can’t see any learning effect by Eteri, which means the problem is not lack of experience, but lack of ethics in this area. And to a certain point I don’t even understand it with a coach at her level, cause quite often by doing so she seems to burn the top skaters in her group. It's rather the weaker skaters - if any - who get a chance to cure injuries than those in the spotlight. Very strange! :scratch2:

But it’s quite interesting how people defending Eteri move on to call others haters which is just the easiest way to avoid factual discussion or start kidding Disney. :rolleye:
I'm totally with you. :thumbsup:
OK, maybe I'm reaching a bit with Disney, still there is no doubt Eteri is a venom infecting the whole Russian figure skating bloodstream with disease of child abuse. I mean, previous coaches, like Zhuk and TAT were like fathers and mothers, there was warmness and understanding across the whole system, who'd have thought one young lass is able to push it back to the dark ages? Plus those ignorant (or even cooperating) parents seeking for doctors help AFTER their kids receive injuries? I'm changing my mind - it must be some kind of cult. I'm so emotional right now I can't. :sad21:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
In Adian's case, I truly & deeply regret that a future star is lost forever because of such crude training system. He is a very quiet guy, but he also has his own ideas and understanding about this sport, and above all this, he is not an emotionless robot! From the moment when Eteri declared to the press that Polina T. was suffering from some genetic disease, her qualification as a competent coach has been highly in doubt!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Sima can improve enough to be sent to worlds or Olympics though, since her jump technique is wrong from the very beginning, with her coach before Eteri at least. Her jumps looked very wrong even during her most successful year winning over Evgenia. Unless she completely change her technique. A close example is Caroline Zhang, who had bad techniques but showed promise this year.

Especially the first rings are safe but also the most expensive places in Russia and as you go outside in the suburbs it can get a little messy.

Regarding the federation, the thing is in the past few years we've seen many russian skaters in juniors looking to be the best in the world, and then quickly disappear because of many reasons: Alexandra Proklova, Polina Shelepen, now even Polina Tsurskaya is a question mark... So until they move to seniors i don't think the fed cares that much.

Also my only criticism with the RusFed is that to me they are not supporting St. Peter's skaters enough, definitely not as much as Moscow skaters which is a bummer and now Sima is with Rukavicin who is possibly the most screwed coach ever, so i hope eventually someone like Mishin will understand the potential of this girl and giving her a second chance, maybe after the Olympics.

ewdokia

On the Ice
I'm totally with you. :thumbsup:
OK, maybe I'm reaching a bit with Disney, still there is no doubt Eteri is a venom infecting the whole Russian figure skating bloodstream with disease of child abuse. I mean, previous coaches, like Zhuk and TAT were like fathers and mothers, there was warmness and understanding across the whole system, who'd have thought one young lass is able to push it back to the dark ages? Plus those ignorant (or even cooperating) parents seeking for doctors help AFTER their kids receive injuries? I'm changing my mind - it must be some kind of cult. I'm so emotional right now I can't. :sad21:
Zhuk (coaching Vodoresova, who had a chronic disease (arthritis or rheuma?), missing two entire season and still managed to come back successfully) and Tarasova (Kulik not competing at Euros in 1998 to cure a back injury before the OG) are actually examples of very demanding coaches who have shown proper injury management.

Eteri - I admit - is in very many areas a great coach for young skaters in particular and certainly has her qualities. But it looks as soon as you get injured / sick in her camp – run away as fast as you can. This coach isn’t willing to deal with it. And if wait for too long and go on there, you might end up in a state, not being able to produce results anymore with Eteri blaming then the skater for laziness, attitude, just everything to avoid anyone questioning her ethics and failure on this very special issue. You may move to sarcasm, but this is a behavior I have yet to see from ANY other coach. And I sincerely hope she won’t “infect” any other coaches with that habit. Like complaining people didn't say goodbye when they did. :noshake:

Regarding parents – so you think it’s the parents’ job to take care of injury (i.e. to see in practice something is not right)? Parents who don’t have any relations with elite sports rely on the coach’s verdict. On whom else? Other coaches, who might have an interest that the kid switches coach? Other parents of kids being in competition in that group? So if a coach tells such parents the kid is healthy enough to compete and a certain amount of pain is normal one has to get used to it, they trust that coach (certainly such parents don’t have a list with proper sport doctors / therapist at their hand to have a monthly check up). Eteri mentions how important parents’ support is in that sport. She has a very valid point on that. But some responsibility will always stay with the coach, e.g. proper injury management and off-ice conditioning to name just two of them. And if you assess it from that side, it think it’s quite interesting that kids where parents have athlete’s background seem more likely to survive (Zehnia, Alina, Vakhtang). :reye:

I really like Rukavitsin and I too think Russian Fed seems to screw his students over and over again. Still he has a really big group and sometimes I wonder if Sima might be better off with a smaller team. Fixing a bad jump technique needs a lot of time and effort. Situation in St. Pete is indeed difficult, less funding, but also less coaches. :(

I think Sima can improve enough to be sent to worlds or Olympics though, since her jump technique is wrong from the very beginning, with her coach before Eteri at least. Her jumps looked very wrong even during her most successful year winning over Evgenia. Unless she completely change her technique. A close example is Caroline Zhang, who had bad techniques but showed promise this year.
But Sima’s jumps had improved significantly with Eteri’s Team (here they did a really good job). And it was a transition period for her, as she also won a challenger, so a senior event that year. Fed / Club might have tried just to give her temporary financial support for half a year and enable her to move to seniors (= better price money). I still shake my head that Sima wasn't sent to Senior GP but had to stay in Juniors despite she earned two sports at GP. :scratch2:

Tutto

Record Breaker

I suspect that there was more to this and it would be interesting to hear Sima's side of the story too. The fact that Eteri took trouble of explaining in such detail all the housing saga (I do hope she got Sima's family permission to broadcast their story) where a mere mention of the fact would have done, looks a bit fishy to me. Quite likely there were other problems which forced Sima to move back to St P. - issues within the group, coaching etc. As Eteri was a bit 'forgetful' on other accounts in this interview, it seems likely. As to lack of support of Sima by the Fed - who knows :shrug: no push from the coach, too many other talented juniors in line?

Tutto

Record Breaker
In Adian's case, I truly & deeply regret that a future star is lost forever because of such crude training system. He is a very quiet guy, but he also has his own ideas and understanding about this sport, and above all this, he is not an emotionless robot! From the moment when Eteri declared to the press that Polina T. was suffering from some genetic disease, her qualification as a competent coach has been highly in doubt!

What is even more startling this was followed by Polina's mother statement that Polina's injuries have nothing to do with her genetic predisposition, nor that her father suffers from genetic disease. I am sure that Eteri was not best pleased about being contradicted so publicly and would not be surprised if more is to follow. I hope Polina is alright, her jumps are to die for!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think that you can't expect the Fed or the club to help with housing problems, especially considering the level of competition in Russia. The funding of skaters in Russia is quite good if you compare it to funding in other countries. If you can't afford to live in a decent neighbourhood you have a serious problem, whether your child is a promising figure skater or not. I feel for all kids who have to grow up in an unsafe environment.
Only a sponsor could have helped Sima imo.

Regarding Eteri - I've followed this thread and I think that many unfair things were written about her. But yes, she obviously is a tough coach and I also don't like some of her approaches. My point is that the parents obviously want her to coach their children. I can only conclude that they want her to be tough with their children. They could chose a more pampering coach but they don't. And Eteri isn't hiding anything.
The only real criticism I have is that until now she has only shown that she is a successful coach for tiny girls and Evgenia is the only one who seems to make it through puberty. Time will tell if she can be successful with mature female skaters and male skaters.