Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Any Advice for a new Figure Skating Fan?

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    5
    Country: United States of America

    14 Not allowed!

    Any Advice for a new Figure Skating Fan?

    I just stumbled into this entire Figure Skating thing when I saw a broadcast of the Men's FS at the World Championships this year. It was totally different from what I thought Figure Skating was and now I'm completely enchanted by this sport!

    While I'm not scouring YouTube for programs to watch, I've been lurking around this forum and reading up everything I could on the web about the different competitions, rules, scoring, and techniques. I think I have a rudimentary grasp on identifying jumps, edges, transitions, et cetera, but I have no idea where each element falls on the spectrum of 'poor-average-great' or which programs are fantastic versus mediocre. It all just looks gorgeous (and honestly kind of superhuman) to me, haha.

    Basically, could any of you veterans point me in the direction of any programs and/or skaters that can be considered a standard for comparison, or important to shaping the course of this sport? Ideally, both past and current, because I'd love to see how Figure Skating has gotten to where it is now. The more the better too, because I honestly can't get tired of watching Figure Skating right now.

    Any pointers on how to discern what certain things commentators keep talking about (Deep edges? Flow? Difficult entries?) would be welcome too.
    Last edited by TheQuiller; 05-09-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Typos

  2. #2
    Bona Fide Member andromache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,599

    0 Not allowed!
    IIRC TSL (The Skating Lesson) had a series of videos on IJS that explained the scoring system pretty well. I can't seem to find them, but maybe someone else can?

    Welcome, btw!

  3. #3
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,989
    Country: Japan

    2 Not allowed!
    Welcome! Some members of this site have been fans for decades and can guide you to the best of the previous Olympic Cycles. -They are super knowledgeable and will tell you about the best programs to watch.
    Men's Figure skating these days is so exciting!
    Before everyone crowds in to tell you who was best of each era, can I ask, what did you think of the latest World Championships, and whose skating did you like?

  4. #4
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,661
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuiller View Post
    I just stumbled into this entire Figure Skating thing when I saw a broadcast of the Men's FS at the World Championships this year. It was totally different from what I thought Figure Skating was and now I'm completely enchanted by this sport!

    While I'm not scouring YouTube for programs to watch, I've been lurking around this forum and reading up everything I could on the web about the different competitions, rules, scoring, and techniques. I think I have a rudimentary grasp on identifying jumps, edges, transitions, et cetera, but I have no idea where each element falls on the spectrum of 'poor-average-great' or which programs are fantastic versus mediocre. It all just looks gorgeous (and honestly kind of superhuman) to me, haha.

    Basically, could any of you veterans point me in the direction of any programs and/or skaters that can be considered a standard for comparison, or important to shaping the course of this sport? Ideally, both past and current, because I'd love to see how Figure Skating has gotten to where it is now. The more the better too, because I honestly can't get tired of watching Figure Skating right now.

    Any pointers on how to discern what certain things commentators keep talking about (Deep edges? Flow? Difficult entries?) would be welcome too.
    Just keep watching. And take a look at the protocols (judges' detailed scores) after an event to see how each element and component was scored. They are published by the ISU and can be found by searching for figure skating results. They can also be found here in the discussion threads about various competitions.

  5. #5
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,421

    3 Not allowed!
    Welcome
    A while ago, we started compiling a list of 1000 performances you should watch before you die. On page 9 of the thread, there is a complete list of everything people gathered so far.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-you-die/page9

    This may be interesting, as you can see all the best programs =)
    Its slightely outdated, but if you want to see how FS developed, its interesting =D

  6. #6
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    5
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Interspectator View Post
    Welcome! Some members of this site have been fans for decades and can guide you to the best of the previous Olympic Cycles. -They are super knowledgeable and will tell you about the best programs to watch.
    Men's Figure skating these days is so exciting!
    Before everyone crowds in to tell you who was best of each era, can I ask, what did you think of the latest World Championships, and whose skating did you like?
    I really liked Shoma's - it was just so powerful, I felt really moved. Brown's was beautiful too, I loved how his movements went with the flow. And Hanyu's, it had an almost fairy-sort of grace that was magical to watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    Welcome
    A while ago, we started compiling a list of 1000 performances you should watch before you die. On page 9 of the thread, there is a complete list of everything people gathered so far.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-you-die/page9

    This may be interesting, as you can see all the best programs =)
    Its slightely outdated, but if you want to see how FS developed, its interesting =D
    Oh, that's perfect! 1000 programs should give me enough to watch for a long while, assuming I can find all of them to watch somewhere. What I'd really like to do is to be able to watch them first without commentary and then watch a commentated version, just so I can get a feel for my honest feelings about the programs to compare to what the professionals see.

    --edit--

    Where can I find protocols for the programs? Does the ISU post them on the official site and/or is there an archive where I can look it up?
    Last edited by TheQuiller; 05-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.

  7. #7
    Tripping on the Podium sarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    944
    Country: Italy

    3 Not allowed!
    Welcome!
    Beware that if you like figure skating now, as soon as you understand it better, you'll be completely hooked...it's just that great

    All the suggestions above are excellent. Just keep watching programs and you'll be a knowledgeable fan before the season resumes. If you are interested you could watch some videos from the 2016 Junior Grand Prix, because that way you can see skaters of many different levels and the commentator is very informative. In general I think you can learn a lot form commentators at the beginning, even though we constantly criticize them around here!

    To find protocols, you can google: "isuresults" and the name of the competition, or to find a direct link you can look in the competition section of this forum, find the event and segment you are interested and you'll find the link in the first post, thanks to the awesome work of the people here on Goldenskate (I hope that's clear).
    Last edited by sarama; 05-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Dorks, Inc. xeyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,732
    Country: Portugal

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuiller View Post
    --edit--

    Where can I find protocols for the programs? Does the ISU post them on the official site and/or is there an archive where I can look it up?
    The best way is to google it through 'isu competition name year results' and it will lead you to the respective place. Most protocols should be available on the ISU site.

  9. #9
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,593

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuiller View Post
    I just stumbled into this entire Figure Skating thing when I saw a broadcast of the Men's FS at the World Championships this year. It was totally different from what I thought Figure Skating was and now I'm completely enchanted by this sport!
    Welcome, TheQuiller! Enjoy the journey of learning about this sport.

    Out of curiosity, what were you expecting figure skating to be, that this broadcast changed your mind?

    Also, where do you live? No need to tell us specifically. I'm just curious whether you would have access to watching live figure skating, whether elite competitions and shows or local mostly low-level practice sessions or anything in between.

  10. #10
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,744
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of FS fandom, TheQuiller.

    To echo gkelly, if you have the means, attending a live figure skating event is something you won't forget. I've gone to two in the past year or so and plan on another 2 before the Olympics. It's so exciting to see the skaters live and you can really see things from a perspective that you can't get from TV or Youtube. The speed of the skater and the depth of their edges is more evident, for example, when you see them live.

    For example, I was never a huge Patrick Chan fan although I appreciated what he brings to men's skating but after seeing him live at Worlds '16 and Skate Canada, I have such an appreciation for his skating skills and mastery of his blades on the ice. When you can actually see the deep crevices his skates make on the ice compared to other skaters, it's quite something.

    I'm also lucky to live in NYC where many top skaters do free shows at various outdoor rinks around the city during the winter months. Those are so much fun to see as well.
    Last edited by apgold; 05-12-2017 at 05:01 PM.

  11. #11
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    5
    Country: United States of America

    10 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone! Wow, am I glad I found this forum. Just found the worlds 2017 protocols and it's a lot of fun rewatching those programs and matching up how each part was scored!

    I'll be sure to look into some Junior level programs too, haha. You're right, it would be cool to see how the a skater's abilitirs progress over the course of their career, since these top level skaters do things I didn't even realize was humanly possible! They can be gliding gracefully to the music one moment then suddenly in the air and rotating faster than eye can follow the next still boggles my mind. Then they manage to land exactly on a musical beat, and then pull off another combination jump onthe next beat after that!!! Like, how...?! O_O They don't even look tired until I see them in interview area afterwards covered in sweat.

    Sorry, gushed a little there. I am very excited about this sport, haha, and am fully looking forward to sinking straight into obsession once I get to know it better.

    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Welcome, TheQuiller! Enjoy the journey of learning about this sport.

    Out of curiosity, what were you expecting figure skating to be, that this broadcast changed your mind?

    Also, where do you live? No need to tell us specifically. I'm just curious whether you would have access to watching live figure skating, whether elite competitions and shows or local mostly low-level practice sessions or anything in between.
    I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I thought it was going to be slow and tedious, all about making pretty lines in the ice or something. I was really surprised by how fast they soared across the ice, and even more surprised by the huge jumps, but what really grabbed me was how every program seemed to effortlessly embody the music, when I knew just from the sound of skates hitting ice that it must take incredible strength and athletic ability to make even the most difficult moves look easy.

    I live in Southern California, and I don't even know if we have an ice rink without having to drive to another city. I'm dying to see even an ice show live though, and would be completely willing to travel out of state for the chance.

  12. #12
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    808
    Country: Italy

    4 Not allowed!
    If you have a twitter accout you should consider following Rockerskating

  13. #13
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,593

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuiller View Post
    I live in Southern California, and I don't even know if we have an ice rink without having to drive to another city. I'm dying to see even an ice show live though, and would be completely willing to travel out of state for the chance.
    I'm from the east coast myself, so I'm not very familiar with the skating scene in California. However, I do know that the Southwest Pacific region, which includes southern California and Arizona, is one of the stronger regions in the country, that there are a number of strong clubs and training centers in the area.

    You might want to check out some of the big club competitions that take place in the spring and summer.
    Here's a list: http://www.socalinterclub.org/events.htm

    I know Glacier Falls and Golden West tend to attract some national-level US skaters.
    I'll let Californian posters provide more details.

    You might also be interested in Southwest Pacific regionals in October.
    (There aren't always enough men/boys especially at higher levels to hold a competition at regionals -- if there are few enough, they can all advance to the next stage, which is sectionals.)

    Even if you skip lower levels and just watch the junior and/or senior ladies, you'll probably see some who are Nationals bound and others who are more recreational skaters, with a range in between. Watching up close would give you a sense the difference between average vs. strong skaters, aside from what jumps they perform.

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    5
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    You might want to check out some of the big club competitions that take place in the spring and summer.
    Here's a list: http://www.socalinterclub.org/events.htm

    ...

    You might also be interested in Southwest Pacific regionals in October.
    (There aren't always enough men/boys especially at higher levels to hold a competition at regionals -- if there are few enough, they can all advance to the next stage, which is sectionals.)

    Even if you skip lower levels and just watch the junior and/or senior ladies, you'll probably see some who are Nationals bound and others who are more recreational skaters, with a range in between. Watching up close would give you a sense the difference between average vs. strong skaters, aside from what jumps they perform.
    Oh!! That's very very helpful! I'm thrilled to hear that there's an entire skating community in SoCal that I didn't even realize existed.

    I'll definitely be looking into which events I can make it to, since there's only so much you can glean from watching a video (and it probably doesn't help that all the skaters in those videos are the best of the best, which means they do ridiculously hard turns and jumps so quickly and with so many variations while I'm still having trouble telling the difference between a rocker vs a counter or a lutz vs a flip). I'd love to watch the women's events too; they might not be jumping as high but the flexibility and balance is equally amazing!
    Last edited by TheQuiller; 05-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.

  15. #15
    On the Ice ssffww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    160
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuiller View Post
    I really liked Shoma's - it was just so powerful, I felt really moved. Brown's was beautiful too, I loved how his movements went with the flow. And Hanyu's, it had an almost fairy-sort of grace that was magical to watch.



    Oh, that's perfect! 1000 programs should give me enough to watch for a long while, assuming I can find all of them to watch somewhere. What I'd really like to do is to be able to watch them first without commentary and then watch a commentated version, just so I can get a feel for my honest feelings about the programs to compare to what the professionals see.

    --edit--

    Where can I find protocols for the programs? Does the ISU post them on the official site and/or is there an archive where I can look it up?
    Here's a link to the most recent Worlds results: http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pai...-championships

    The list mentioned earlier has links with it, so you won't have to look for the programs, unless some of the links are broken.

    Welcome and enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •