2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Gracie's problem is in her confidence, so I think an Eteri sort of coach wouldn't be great for her. (See: Voronov)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gracie's problem is in her confidence, so I think an Eteri sort of coach wouldn't be great for her. (See: Voronov)

It's not the best example Voronov since his biggest success (silver medal at 2014 Euro, bronze medal at 2014 GPF and then bronze at 2015 Euro) was achieved when he was working with Eteri.

Gracie is overthinking it, she can't spend 3 months every year thinking on what was wrong last season and how to comeback when at the same time the others are already working on the programs and the jumps.

Eeyora

Final Flight
My conspiracy theory is Gracie already took her 3 month break over summer. Hence, why she didn’t perform at Champs Camp. And made her statement just to stay under the radar.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
if depression were that easy to be solved

Oh believe me I know... I was trying to say that Gracie's technique is not her problem, nor is her artistry, though people tend to complain about that. Her problem is her mental health, and she needs to do what is best for her. Us as fans by definition can't know the whole thing. :shock2:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be overjoyed if Gracie has indeed taken her three month break already and is trying to fly under the radar!! :love:

skatenewbie

Medalist
i just watched Karen LP in her latest competition, she has problem with her Lutzes there, but her first one is so huge, i feel like it bigger than her usual idk lol. i seriously think she should change her 3Lz-3T into 2A-3T instead because most of the time her 3T is UR and because her huge lutz sometimes its hard to put 3T there, also with that huge 2A, a 2A-3T would look so pretty tbh

2A-3T
3Lz
2A-Lo-3S
3F
3Lz-2T
3Lo
3S

basically no change in the jump, only the combination placement.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Doing my best to change the subject away from Gracie Gold (who has my best wishes :ghug: and about whom speculation seems pointless, IMO):

- Ashley Wagner will be part of a panel discussion tomorrow at the espnW: Women + Sports Summit :cool::

7:45pm
Panel Discussion: World-Class Athletes In Pursuit of Excellence
Alana Nichols/Paralympic gold medalist
Chiney Ogwumike/WNBA player & Co-Host of SportsCenter across sub-Saharan Africa
Jessica Springsteen/International show jumping champion rider
Ashley Wagner/Olympic bronze medalist & three-time U.S. Figure Skating Champion
Natasha Watley/professional softball player & Olympic gold medalist
with Jemele Hill​

- Per a series of Mirai's Instagram stories:
She received a package of handmade bead jewelry -- including a necklace that the jeweler had named ... Mirai's Triple Axel [:) !]. (Garnet, pink sapphire, moonstone, ruby, etc.) Red-white-and-blue Team USA bracelets were among the other goodies.
What a great way to show support for Mirai :yay:. After admiring/modeling the jewelry and thanking the jeweler, an inspired Mirai concluded by saying something like, "Now I'm going to go practice, and be a beast" :yes:.​

-

Returning to this off-topic ;) topic, because USFS was tweeting today about Charlie White's favorite cheat meal.

Which reminded me of this anecdote that I posted in Nathan Chen's fan thread during this year's SOI tour:

That said, per this video from Charlie, his favorite cheat meal is something other than burgers and fries.

Me Too.......That, and Pasta were, and are, still the items I have to stay away from. Especially Pasta....

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
i just watched Karen LP in her latest competition, she has problem with her Lutzes there, but her first one is so huge, i feel like it bigger than her usual idk lol. i seriously think she should change her 3Lz-3T into 2A-3T instead because most of the time her 3T is UR and because her huge lutz sometimes its hard to put 3T there, also with that huge 2A, a 2A-3T would look so pretty tbh

2A-3T
3Lz
2A-Lo-3S
3F
3Lz-2T
3Lo
3S

basically no change in the jump, only the combination placement.

This layout could definitely get her on the Olympic team, but I think it would be hard to medal at the Games without a 3/3 unless it is a poorly skated event.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This layout could definitely get her on the Olympic team, but I think it would be hard to medal at the Games without a 3/3 unless it is a poorly skated event.

Didn't Karen have a 3/3 last season? She might not repeat as the US Champion without one. With Med and others landing back loaded 3/3's I hope the US can send a lady to the games that has a solid triple triple combo. I'm still hoping for Angela Wang to get her groove back. Doesn't Mariah Bell have a couple of 3/3's in her new LP?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Didn't Karen have a 3/3 last season? She might not repeat as the US Champion without one. With Med and others landing back loaded 3/3's I hope the US can send a lady to the games that has a solid triple triple combo. I'm still hoping for Angela Wang to get her groove back. Doesn't Mariah Bell have a couple of 3/3's in her new LP?

Yes, I think skatenewbie was proposing a layout that might minimize the risk of < 3T. I think she will continue with the 3Z-3T because it is a good combo to have in the SP, too.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

The sad thing about that is none of the top US women have a "sure thing" 3-3.

Karen's almost always looks borderline under-rotated even when it is rotated...Ashley's is usually under-rotated...Mariah's is hit or miss...Mirai's often gets an under-rotation...

No one has a strong combo in their arsenal. Everyone's is a hold your breath/cross your fingers jump for them.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Karen's almost always looks borderline under-rotated even when it is rotated...Ashley's is usually under-rotated...Mariah's is hit or miss...Mirai's often gets an under-rotation...

No one has a strong combo in their arsenal. Everyone's is a hold your breath/cross your fingers jump for them.

How are our new seniors looking. I know Starr just withdrew from her event but how are Tessa Hong and Bradie looking? At this point, a clean Courtney Hicks could make the Podium at Nationals.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
How are our new seniors looking. I know Starr just withdrew from her event but how are Tessa Hong and Bradie looking? At this point, a clean Courtney Hicks could make the Podium at Nationals.

Bradie is solid. Delivered two clean programs at Lombardia, won both her summer comps. Tessa quite the opposite, still trying to backload all jumps in long and had a skate full of popping, falling, and underrotations at her jgp :( . Betweeen Mariah Karen Ashley Polina Bradie and Mirai I find it hard to believe that Courtney could make the podium unless nationals is a disaster event. USFSA clearly isn't backing her, no gps. Her fourth place at her senior B didn't help either, not a strong lp.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

I would argue no women in the world do, besides Evgenia and probably Alina.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video of Ashley Wagner's panel discussion at the espnW summit (plus short article):

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/s...are-their-thoughts-their-most-useless-talents (approx. 28-minute video, published Oct 4)

Sorry that I had the wrong day :hopelessness: in my previous post. The panel already took place on the night of Oct 3.​

Graphic of quote from Ashley:

I'm still hoping for Angela Wang to get her groove back. ...

Good luck to Angela and Polina at Finlandia :yay:.
Hope Angela's stellar SP :luv17: at the Philadelphia International bodes well for her. If she can bring her FS up to the same quality, then watch out :).

Good luck also to Mirai and Karen in Japan, and to Emmy Ma in Poland.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would argue no women in the world do, besides Evgenia and probably Alina.

Perhaps, but there are a lot of skaters internationally who more regularly rotate the 3-3 (and their other triples): Kaetlyn, Gabby D, Anna, and Elena R immediately come to mind. Probably others too from Russia and Japan. I think this is why there was so much hope for Gracie. At her peak, there was never a question about rotation on her jumps.

andromache

Record Breaker
Perhaps, but there are a lot of skaters internationally who more regularly rotate the 3-3 (and their other triples): Kaetlyn, Gabby D, Anna, and Elena R immediately come to mind. Probably others too from Russia and Japan. I think this is why there was so much hope for Gracie. At her peak, there was never a question about rotation on her jumps.

The US ladies and their rotations....:disapp:. You're either a total headcase (Gracie, Courtney), or you're a chronic under-rotator. I wish our juniors looked more promising rotation-wise - it's easiest to get those rotations in when you're a tiny preteen (see: the Russian junior ladies), but our younger girls seem to be unsuccessful at that, too.

Is Alex Ourashiev coaching any novice or junior skaters?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly wouldn't Disparage Ashley for being smart.....My Favorite skater Maria Butryskaya used her Otonol LP for 2 seasons even though she had won Europeans, a Bronze at Worlds, and placed 4th at the Olympics in 1998 with it. She said she went back to Otonol because she felt comfortable with it and that she never skated perfectly in 1998. I think Gracie should go back to an old program because it will ease what seems to be a load of pressure from her shoulders and she's done some great LP's throughout her career.

Mrrice, I didn't intend to single you out. There are just so many low comments, in tone, about Ashley. Gracie has said (in fall 2015 I think) that she didn't like repeating a program for a second season (Grieg SP in 2014, then also for the 2014-15 season), but she may well feel differently at this point. Good example about Maria, I didn't realize she repeated the program she'd already had such great (her best?) results with.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have the utmost respect for all theseladieswho put their whole life into skating. I tisn't easy. Sadly only three of them are going to the Olympics as a singles competitor. It is sad to hear of Polina and Gracie struggles. The fight of Mirai. The battle between Ashley and Karen. The extreme dark horse and comeback in Caroline Zhang. The battle of the up and comers It is so exciting even when it seems it has been a while since Polina, Mirai and Gracie have shown clean and brilliant skating. Because deepdown many thinkthere might still be that miracle skate.

princessalica

Final Flight
I for one still think that Gracie and Polina have it in them. I think it will be easier for Polina to find, but Gracie has all of the skill in the world. (I saw recent video of Carly doing some triples, and I was sad because for once Carly can out jump Gracie)