2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Angela should have been above Caro.

This is what I've been telling everyone for a while. Watch out for Angela! :yay:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I like Polina's SP music a lot. She's making some progress on her jumps, and showing up here shows she is serious about competing this season.
Angela Wang did pretty well, but I don't like her music at all. She has great skating skills. It all depends on how well she jumps.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I like Polina's SP music a lot. She's making some progress on her jumps, and showing up here shows she is serious about competing this season.

Watching her program, I think the score and placement were right, but she is almost there if she can clean up the silly errors. It's good to see her attempting a 3/3 in the SP already. I don't think she's out of the hunt for an Olympic spot, but she probably is more likely than not to miss the team.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Watching her program, I think the score and placement were right, but she is almost there if she can clean up the silly errors. It's good to see her attempting a 3/3 in the SP already. I don't think she's out of the hunt for an Olympic spot, but she probably is more likely than not to miss the team.

I really hope Polina is able to get herself back in top shape. I have seen Polina in person a couple of times and she may have gained a bit of weight but, I think her costume makes her look bigger than she is. I still hold out hope for a late season run by Polina. As a dancer, I know that 5lbs can ruin your turn technique because it throws you off center. I think once Polina is back in competitive shape, she'll be fine. I do like this program for her but, I wish she had kept Moonlight Sonata. It was so well choreographed and since she didn't get to take it to Worlds, I think she would have been justified in keeping it. Maybe she'll go back to it after this event. I remember Michelle had that "Rush" program in 2001 before going back to East Of Eden....

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Polina is going to single or double her Lutz and flip in her fs. It's telling she did mostly edge jumps and not toe jumps as they must be giving her issues as she gets them back.

I do like the grown up Polina and wish her the best this season.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Angela has everything to be a top skater but mark my words, she will have either a meltdown of a long program or a “eh, she’s ok.” Angela is very unreliable.☹️ I really want her to medal but don’t think she’ll even get top 5.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Angela should have been above Caro.

Emphatically agree.:agree:

Angela's program today was a jewel. She embodied the music ... gentle, melodic, whispering, looking upwards, dreaming, with everything curved and graceful.

Since I first saw this program last year, I've been waiting for her to perform it this way. After seeing it today, it reminds me of one of my all-time favorite SPs: Kristi Yamaguchi's Olympic SP, Blue Danube. Everything is there, and the elements just glide from one to the next without calling attention to themselves. It's beautiful, and the simplicity is breathtaking.

Can you tell I liked it? :laugh: Very well done, Angela! :points:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Angela's program today was a jewel. She embodied the music ... gentle, melodic, whispering, looking upwards, dreaming, with everything curved and graceful.

Since I first saw this program last year, I've been waiting for her to perform it this way. ...

Loved reading your praise for Angela today :agree:.

I had the good fortune to see this SP in person at the Philadelphia International, and Angela's performance there absolutely blew me away.
If you have not seen it, I hope you would find it as stunning a thing of beauty as I did.

It was thrilling to get a firsthand look at other favorites -- Max, Sean, Alex J, Donovan, Torgashev, etc. -- at the Philadelphia comp.
But only Angela's SP was so breathtaking that it literally made me cry.

I'm so happy for Angela that she now has had two consecutive successful outings of this special program.
Go get 'em in the FS :yay:.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved reading your praise for Angela today :agree:.

I had the good fortune to see this SP in person at the Philadelphia International, and Angela's performance there absolutely blew me away.
If you have not seen it, I hope you would find it as stunning a thing of beauty as I did.

It was thrilling to get a firsthand look at other favorites -- Max, Sean, Alex J, Donovan, Torgashev, etc. -- at the Philadelphia comp.
But only Angela's SP was so breathtaking that it literally made me cry.

I'm so happy for Angela that she now has had two consecutive successful outings of this special program.
Go get 'em in the FS :yay:.

:clap:

And her SP today was so breathtaking that it gave me chills ... even thru the tube. :) I think my eyes were a little damp, too. I'll need to look for the video at PI.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:clap:

And her SP today was so breathtaking that it gave me chills ... even thru the tube. :) I think my eyes were a little damp, too. I'll need to look for the video at PI.

I hope you can get an idea of the Philadelphia International from this fancam from someone else (much appreciated :thank:):

Shot thru hockey glass ... still made me a little teary all over again.

Really hope Angela is building confidence and momentum for a great season :yay:.

ETA:

Just realized that today at Finlandia, Angela's SP score of 62.54 and SP PCS of 29.06 were new ISU PBs :cool:.

Previous PBs were SP 61.41 from 2013 JGP and SP PCS 28.16 from 2015 U.S. Classic.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question for you guys. Who is Emma Ma? Her Bio says that she's from Mass, so I was wondering if she trains with Ross Miner? She did fairly well this weekend coming in 6th at her JGP event. Is she seen as a promising up and comer?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wonder if Polina is going to single or double her Lutz and flip in her fs. It's telling she did mostly edge jumps and not toe jumps as they must be giving her issues as she gets them back.

I do like the grown up Polina and wish her the best this season.

I certainly hope not. I'd rather see her withdraw than go out and double all of her jumps. Even if she were to fall a couple of times, I think it would better for her to know that she has at least attempting these jumps in competition.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I have a question for you guys. Who is Emma Ma? Her Bio says that she's Mass, so I was wondering if she trains with Ross Miner? She did fairly well this weekend coming in 6th at her JGP event. Is she seen as a promising up and comer?

Hi. Yes, Emmy ma is a strong up and comer, but she still lacks a triple-triple and front loads her programs. She placed 3rd a few weeks ago at a jgp, and that was great for her: the first US junior lady to be on a jgp podium sine, idk, 2015?
I hope someone else on this forum can tell u her training situation because I don’t know. 😕
Emmy is 16 so I have hope that she can keep her jumps and improve on what she does have.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have a question for you guys. Who is Emma Ma? Her Bio says that she's from Mass, so I was wondering if she trains with Ross Miner? She did fairly well this weekend coming in 6th at her JGP event. Is she seen as a promising up and comer?

She trains with Peter J & Mark Mitchell, who was in the K&C with her.

andromache

Record Breaker
It would've been nice to see Polina scare the rest of the US ladies by landing a 3-3 here.

It's not that I'm counting Angela out, but it's her tendency to start a season strong and then disappoint by the time the stakes get high.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope you can get an idea of the Philadelphia International from this fancam (much appreciated :thank:):

Shot thru hockey glass ... still made me a little teary all over again.

thanks, I enjoyed that very much. Makes you feel very near. :)

I'd seen Deanna & Nate's great skate from that event, but none of the ladies. Up until now. :) It's very interesting comparing Angela's skate from today with her skate at P.I. The video from Finlandia is excellent quality, the sound is good, and especially, we get to see close-ups of her face, which amplifies the sort of dreamy quality of her skate. And the Philly take, with its grainy sound and sight, and the feeling of up close, has definite charms as well.

Here's today's, from Finlandia:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBYvN7tUfg

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It won’t matter if she skates it clean, but Karen’s Carmen is a huge cliche with the same music cuts and choreography as everyone else has done. I think it’s very blah and it looks like she did the choreography herself.😕

loopy1217

Rinkside
It won’t matter if she skates it clean, but Karen’s Carmen is a huge cliche with the same music cuts and choreography as everyone else has done. I think it’s very blah and it looks like she did the choreography herself.😕
As much as I love Karen, they need to reevaluate FS. The spin and jump are really in the wrong part of the music. At this point, I rather she pick the FS last year or the one in 2015 when she won bronze in US championship.

It’s odd that Mark Pillay choreograph both programs when SP is so good and then FS is meh? Is it Karen changing the program again or is it the music cut itself?

Also on separate note(I’m still new to the forum so I don’t know how to copy different quote...my apologies), I am not sure Polina making the team at this point. She is super optimistic in the articles and such but she is competing against people who train full time vs her going to college, sororities activities (per her Instagram)...

frida80

Record Breaker
As much as I love Karen, they need to reevaluate FS. The spin and jump are really in the wrong part of the music. At this point, I rather she pick the FS last year or the one in 2015 when she won bronze in US championship.

It’s odd that Mark Pillay choreograph both programs when SP is so good and then FS is meh? Is it Karen changing the program again or is it the music cut itself?

Also on separate note(I’m still new to the forum so I don’t know how to copy different quote...my apologies), I am not sure Polina making the team at this point. She is super optimistic in the articles and such but she is competing against people who train full time vs her going to college, sororities activities (per her Instagram)...

She can't use last year's program because then she would have two tangos. Her 2015 skate is nice, but needs more choreography and won't go with her current layout. She's in a pickle.