2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Polina was a striking presence on the Metro Areena ice last Friday: tall, almost statuesque for a figure skater, her unitard emphasizing the long arms and legs that lend such beautiful lines and extensions to her skating. There were no miracles that day, only a demonstration of the hard work that had brought her much closer to where she wants to be than where she was when she began her comeback. The jumps were shaky, even ones she had performed in summer competitions, but consistency is always the last quality to be regained after a layoff. The skating skills were there, however, and her PCS was solid, the fifth best for the short program. It could have been even higher, if it’s true that TES tends to elevate or depress PCS. As disappointing as her combined score was, it was shadowed by great expectations. Consistency in her jumps--simply doing them as well as she had at other times--would have placed her among the leaders, because the program, with its severe elegance and pulsating music, is just that good. The long program is even better, light and flowing and very romantic. Perhaps her execution of it today will be better, too, or maybe not. The trajectory of her come-back is different from the approach Ashley and Mirai, Mariah and Karen, or Bradie and the others are taking, but all of them have San Jose in 2018 as a target and after that, the Olympics. It’s never too soon for speculation but writing any skater off in October is misjudged. Even Gracie Gold might emerge from her silence in spectacular fashion. As a fan of Polina and the way she brings the dance to figure skating, I’ll want her to do well, but as an interested observer of the sport, I see the season developing in a most intriguing way.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
That said, Wagner's URs (and occasionally other mistakes) kept her off of many podiums, hence the nickname "Almost Girl"

The "almost girl" nickname hasn't been appropriate for Ashley since she won her first national title in 2012. Since then, she has won two more national titles (making the podium every year), won medals at nearly all of her GP events (including the finals) and won a Worlds medal (and making Top 5 all but 1 year).

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am always talking about my love for Angela Wang and I've been a fan of hers ever since she was a Junior. She has always been close but never seems to put 2 solid programs together in the same event. NOT ANYMORE.........Her Free Program at Finlandia was even better than her SP. I don't know if she'll make the podium but, I don't care. This was a huge accomplishment for her and I hope it will boost her confidence going into the rest of the season.......:bow:

I just had a look at Polina's Free Program.....It is clear to me that she is out of shape and I wish her team had pulled her from this event. To see her finish 13th in a pre-season event is a bit sad because she looked so good in 2016.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Angela Wang :yay: for finishing in fourth place at Finlandia and earning more PBs today:

Old PBs:
Total Score 166.80 at 2015 U.S. Classic
FS 110.89 at 2012/13 JGPF
FS PCS 57.20 at 2015 Golden Spin
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012616.htm

Finlandia FS videos:

Over the moon for Angela :ghug:, and I haven't even watched the performance yet :popcorn:.

thanks, I enjoyed that very much. Makes you feel very near. :)

I'd seen Deanna & Nate's great skate from that event, but none of the ladies. Up until now. :) It's very interesting comparing Angela's skate from today with her skate at P.I. The video from Finlandia is excellent quality, the sound is good, and especially, we get to see close-ups of her face, which amplifies the sort of dreamy quality of her skate. And the Philly take, with its grainy sound and sight, and the feeling of up close, has definite charms as well.

Here's today's, from Finlandia:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBYvN7tUfg

So glad that the video of the P.I. SP was enjoyable in its own way :).

R.D.

Record Breaker
The "almost girl" nickname hasn't been appropriate for Ashley since she won her first national title in 2012. Since then, she has won two more national titles (making the podium every year), won medals at nearly all of her GP events (including the finals) and won a Worlds medal (and making Top 5 all but 1 year).

Fair point - however, I would argue that on the WORLD level, mistakes she made at 2012, 2013 and 2015 Worlds held her back, perhaps even from a bronze medal finish - particularly in 2015. She *FINALLY* overcame that in 2016, which allowed her to get in position to grab a medal there.

Although, having said that, Gold would probably be closer to fitting that profile in recent years especially given her 4CC struggles.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just watched Edmunds' Finlandia FS - actually, this is the first time I've really seen her since before she got hurt (there was that fluff club event a month ago, but I don't count that). She has definitely grown up and developed a style (seems to be of the softer/elegant variety), which is nice to see. That's about the only positive - yikes, that was a rough one to say the least. If she was taking the semester off and going at skating full-time, I'd say it's still early and she would have a fighting shot at getting her groove back before crunch time. But if it's true that she is continuing college full-time, then I wonder whether there really is enough time for her. Still won't count her out though. We'll have to see.

loopy1217

Rinkside
Those calls were so bad and undeserved though. She didn't get called at Worlds last season, so I'm going to hope the callers at Olympics are sane and see she isn't more than 1/4 short (except on that last lutz). This final lutz is the big problem for her right now. She jumps high and without pre-rotation, as the last Triple of the program. It's so hard to do and she gets punished for appearing short on the landing, even though her actual rotation in the air is still more than most ladies on the jump. Her team needs to figure out a way to make it work for her, hopefully without sacrificing the quality takeoff and height. Maybe just more stamina is needed and will build as the season progresses.

Totally agreed. It will be interested to see how her scores will be in GP events. I also hope her team will re-evaluate the FS. Something about it makes Karen struggle in international events. It used to be both SP and FS due to her nerves but now it is really just FS. So maybe Karen is having problem connecting to the music?

BTW... I don't think that Emmy Ma can be considered a promising newcomer...
I have followed JGP ladies events quite a lot and the girl I consider the most promising of all is Ashley Lin...
She is younger than Emmy Ma (2 years younger) can jump 3-3 and has better SS than Starr.

Nguyen is a promising skater also but she messes up with jumps badly...

I don’t usually watch the junior level until I saw Emmy ma performance in Latvia event. Her performance is mesmerizing. Judging by what I read online, she has her ups and downs and Latvia is her first international event, yet she surprisingly get third place, which is first JGP medal for US for awhile. And that to me is remarkable. She probably not the *most* promising junior but she should be one of promising US juniors especially when we look out in future when the current senior ladies may retire after this season.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I hope that Polina's comeback is intended as a multi-year long process. Look how long it took Kaetlyn Osmond to come back and look where she ended up. I am not sure this year is Polina's year, but that should not detour her. She has more to give and more to show, I think Finlandia has at least shown that. I want her to stick around and I want to see more of her. Really so what if she misses the Olympics this time, Mirai went in 2010 and missed 2014 and look where she is now. 2022 is still very doable for Polina and she has much she can accomplish and be proud of in the mean time. Making the Olympic team should not define her comeback.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I hope that Polina's comeback is intended as a multi-year long process. Look how long it took Kaetlyn Osmond to come back and look where she ended up. I am not sure this year is Polina's year, but that should not detour her. She has more to give and more to show, I think Finlandia has at least shown that. I want her to stick around and I want to see more of her. Really so what if she misses the Olympics this time, Mirai went in 2010 and missed 2014 and look where she is now. 2022 is still very doable for Polina and she has much she can accomplish and be proud of in the mean time. Making the Olympic team should not define her comeback.

That is very true. But at the end of the day, it depends on what SHE wants. She has made it clear that she wants a shot at the 2018 Olympics - the next question is, if she doesn't make it to 2018, whether she is willing to commit to 4 more years...or move on to the next phase of her life. She's already been to one Olympic Games, anyway, so at least she's had the experience. Maybe it will be a similar soul-searching to what Nagasu went through (perhaps without the drama of 2014). You have to enjoy the process, enjoy skating regardless of whatever obstacles it throws at you

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Those calls were so bad and undeserved though. She didn't get called at Worlds last season, so I'm going to hope the callers at Olympics are sane and see she isn't more than 1/4 short (except on that last lutz). This final lutz is the big problem for her right now. She jumps high and without pre-rotation, as the last Triple of the program. It's so hard to do and she gets punished for appearing short on the landing, even though her actual rotation in the air is still more than most ladies on the jump. Her team needs to figure out a way to make it work for her, hopefully without sacrificing the quality takeoff and height. Maybe just more stamina is needed and will build as the season progresses.
Maybe Karen should learn jump with PRE-rotation which seems is a short-cut most girls nowadays are using. And ISU is encouraging it...

skatinggold

On the Ice
Maybe Karen should learn jump with PRE-rotation which seems is a short-cut most girls nowadays are using. And ISU is encouraging it...

Yes, Karen should pre rotation her jumps. The lutz and axels from Karen are massive, she will be landing quad lutz and triple axel if she pre-rotate and winning over everyone..... Sometimes I really wish they will penalized those pre-rotater, it's not fair for good jumpers like Karen who get dingged for under rotations.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I really hope Angela Wang can hold it together at Nationals this year. Of all the US Ladies I've seen so far, I think she might be my favorite this season. She has been close to the podium but, she has never medaled at nationals. This just might be her year.

icellist

On the Ice
I would love a Mirai-Bradie-Angela team. Out of the 3, only Bradie's SP bores me. I haven't been impressed by Karen or Mariah's programs either.

To add to the discussion on pre-rotation, Angela's jumps look different than the past. She used to have a lovely delayed rotation Lutz, but now it's just average. I think she changed the technique because it's now consistent for her this way, and kudos to her and her team. If there's anything to learn from the Russians, it's to bank on consistency.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Just watched Edmunds' Finlandia FS - actually, this is the first time I've really seen her since before she got hurt (there was that fluff club event a month ago, but I don't count that). She has definitely grown up and developed a style (seems to be of the softer/elegant variety), which is nice to see. That's about the only positive - yikes, that was a rough one to say the least. If she was taking the semester off and going at skating full-time, I'd say it's still early and she would have a fighting shot at getting her groove back before crunch time. But if it's true that she is continuing college full-time, then I wonder whether there really is enough time for her. Still won't count her out though. We'll have to see.

She had a bunch of jump errors here, but the lutz and the flip looked salvageable had she been a bit more confident in those elements. She could still have a lot of trouble by Nationals, but it wouldn't surprise me to see her skate well there, either. Style-wise, I much prefer her skating now because she has a much more commanding presence than before.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I really hope Angela Wang can hold it together at Nationals this year. Of all the US Ladies I've seen so far, I think she might be my favorite this season. She has been close to the podium but, she has never medaled at nationals. This just might be her year.

She has shown promise for many years, so it's great to see her put it together for two skates this weekend. Hopefully she finds consistency and this wasn't just one good event.

stella luna

Final Flight

She has a lot of ground to make up for and, as Angela Wang showed, many hungry and well-trained U.S. competitors ahead of her. It's unfortunate timing having to return off an injury the season before the Olympics. Too bad she couldn't take a semester off to train, unless there is some lingering issues from her injury that would have prevented her from being on the ice full time. Lost opportunity.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Angela is a lovely skater, but I just don't like the music choice for both programs. Lyrics kind of make the program lack depth, because they are too literal. If it is in French, or Italian, I may feel differently. I couldn't rewatch her programs because of the music.