2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

LRK

Record Breaker
I do hope Courtney gets a Senior B or two - I'm cheering for her. (She's my favourite US lady. :) )

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I anticipate Kaitlyn and Starr to move up to senior next season domestically? I'm sure they will both receive JGP assignments. Hopefully Audrey Shin too, even though she didn't place super well at novice nationals last year (9th).

Ting Cui is also a very strong emerging skater with solid 3Lz-3Ts (I believe her coach posted them on Instagram). With her 2nd place finish on Novice last year, she could also be a prime pick for the JGP, if she's eligible.

Isn't Kaitlyn N only 13? She would look so juniorish if she skated against the Senior ladies at Nationals next year.

frida80

Record Breaker
Isn't Kaitlyn N only 13? She would look so juniorish if she skated against the Senior ladies at Nationals next year.

Yes she is. She'll be 14 by nationals. We may be hearing Johnny slyly comment that Kaitlyn could be the youngest US champ ever again they did with Tessa.

She'll look juniorish, but that's the point. She's already won at junior level. She can't develop as a skater unless she's challenged to grow as a skater. When she competes at nationals she'll look at herself and change so she can win. This will only make her more competitive in theong run. Alina and Marin competed at their senior nationals as well.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It is glad to hear that so many new names have been brought up here. I must check on their clips. I hope the new talents make the field exciting.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Yes she is. She'll be 14 by nationals. We may be hearing Johnny slyly comment that Kaitlyn could be the youngest US champ ever again they did with Tessa.

She'll look juniorish, but that's the point. She's already won at junior level. She can't develop as a skater unless she's challenged to grow as a skater. When she competes at nationals she'll look at herself and change so she can win. This will only make her more competitive in theong run. Alina and Marin competed at their senior nationals as well.

I think Kaitlyn N. has better jumps than all the senior ladies. She just needs better music choice and choreography.

macy

Record Breaker
Per wagners instagram story she is finished choreographing her long program. Very excited to see it, she seems very happy about it.

concorde

Medalist
Looks like Emily Zhang (Richmond) may be skipping Novice and moving to Juniors. At the Chesapeake Open this past weekend, she skated a Junior Short (got 1st over Hannah Jo) but no long. Hannah got 1st in the long.

Still no sights of Haley Beavers this season.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
On Starr's website it says she's skating to Fever by Beyoncé for her sp, and One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston for her lp. Thoughts?

Other than Starr, I'm also very interested in what music Karen and Gracie will choose.

posha

Rinkside
Are there videos of Starr, I thought she did a recent summer event? I am curious how the Whitney program will go. I think for her age skating with power and drama to match that voice will be a mountain to climb. But we'll see. Her team is ambitious! I don't think she should try Senior yet, but....I can see the other side of reasoning, girl single skater's career is so short lived, Olympics only come around every 4 years, and she will get media attention.

I love Elise Freezer! That spunk! I hope they don't kill it (usfsa) she is not a lyrical princess and no need to be. The name sounds like a character in a girl's skating novel or movie! Freezer good skating name.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Are there videos of Starr, I thought she did a recent summer event? I am curious how the Whitney program will go. I think for her age skating with power and drama to match that voice will be a mountain to climb. But we'll see. Her team is ambitious! I don't think she should try Senior yet, but....I can see the other side of reasoning, girl single skater's career is so short lived, Olympics only come around every 4 years, and she will get media attention.

I love Elise Freezer! That spunk! I hope they don't kill it (usfsa) she is not a lyrical princess and no need to be. The name sounds like a character in a girl's skating novel or movie! Freezer good skating name.

Here's an older video of Elise Freezer. It's a more lyrical performance I suppose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIIljy1uAg In one of the video comments, I think it's her mother who said she also does ballroom dancing a few times a week! I've seen some other junvenile sskaters she competed against that are really good too, I just can't remember their names and I think you can only see their videos on icenetwork. I thought I paid for icenetwork for the 2016-17 season, but i tried logging on and it's not working, bummer. I'm not even sure how many months I have access for, but I only paid for it to see the younger skaters like Elise, Kaitlyn, Starr, and Alysa. I really don't care to see the senior skaters, lol, besides, their videos always get posted on youtube anyway.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
On Starr's website it says she's skating to Fever by Beyoncé for her sp, and One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston for her lp. Thoughts?

Other than Starr, I'm also very interested in what music Karen and Gracie will choose.

I don't like Beyonece music. But I love Whitney Houston. Looking foward to her lp video.

bytheriver

On the Ice

Starr's 2017-2018 short program (or some show variation of it) to "Fever" was posted by her mother on her YouTube channel two weeks ago. I'm on mobile so I can't link it, but you can find it online. She popped her opening combo (single-double), but landed two nice solo jumps later on.

My main concern with Starr (and a lot of US ladies) comes out of her tendency to pop jumps rather than risk a fall. You don't typically see Russian juniors or seniors pop jumps - they'd rather fall than get fewer or zero points on an automatically downgraded jump.

posha

Rinkside
Here's an older video of Elise Freezer. It's a more lyrical performance I suppose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIIljy1uAg In one of the video comments, I think it's her mother who said she also does ballroom dancing a few times a week! I've seen some other junvenile sskaters she competed against that are really good too, I just can't remember their names and I think you can only see their videos on icenetwork. I thought I paid for icenetwork for the 2016-17 season, but i tried logging on and it's not working, bummer. I'm not even sure how many months I have access for, but I only paid for it to see the younger skaters like Elise, Kaitlyn, Starr, and Alysa. I really don't care to see the senior skaters, lol, besides, their videos always get posted on youtube anyway.

Aww, so cuuute. Never lose that smile! Doesn't she do pairs too? I don't care which discipline, she is a talent! She has a kind of throw-back style, and I mean that in the best way. How ladies used to skate before it was pts., pts., pts. I love skaters who can make you forget you are watching a competition. She takes you away! You can see how she feels the music and it powers her.

posha

Rinkside
Yeah I'm not looking forward to Beyoncé, it's a personal taste. Especially when there are so many versions of "Fever" to choose from. But I think her team is ambitious, and in an Olympic year, popularity helps to draw attention. You have your 4 year crowd tuning in. And it will interest kids and young ppl to hear an artist of their era. Wow, I sound old.

posha

Rinkside
My main concern with Starr (and a lot of US ladies) comes out of her tendency to pop jumps rather than risk a fall. You don't typically see Russian juniors or seniors pop jumps - they'd rather fall than get fewer or zero points on an automatically downgraded jump.[/QUOTE]

Well but Starr is not competing in the same kind of environment as the Russian girls, so it's hard to compare. Starr is one of a few very talented in the US. US girls have only a couple of events to really test their strength. I hope for these handful of girls, there will be more opportunities to go head to head with the best.