2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

R.D.

Record Breaker
It feels like Sochi 2014 just ended just a while ago, but we are already less than a year out from Korea 2018. So how do the top US ladies look heading into the next Olympic season?

Familiar Faces

Ashley Wagner: After the high of winning a surprise silver medal at Worlds in 2016, suddenly she found herself no longer the chaser, a position she has historically been comfortable with - but the chased, someone who has made it onto the World podium and must defend that position, or climb further up - in her case, to the top. So last season's question was, "How would she handle this?" Now we know the answer, and it isn't what many want to hear - it was a struggle all around. Missed the Grand Prix Final, missed out on a 4th National title, finished only 7th at Worlds this year. While respectable results when looked at in isolation, after the 2015-16 season, this can be seen as nothing short of a disappointment. The Olympic season, for her, will be all about resolve. How much does she want the Olympics - and how much is she willing to give up to get there? If she does make the Olympics, does she want a medal? A gold medal? All that, plus her physical condition (health), will dictate how far she gets. Also remember the 2014 controversy - don't think the media won't remind her of it come Nationals. Can she handle that pressure? If she's 4th again, will we go through a similar controversy if she is named? Stay tuned.

Gracie Gold: After leading the short at Boston Worlds, she had a couple of unfortunate stumbles that led to a 4th place finish on a night where she couldn't afford any errors. End of the world? No, but somehow it seems like in her mind, it was. The resulting plunge would lead to the worst results of her career the following season, not winning a single medal and missing out on Worlds for the first time as a senior. Adding to all this was a very public split from her long-time coach Frank Carroll, and soon after, a move from LA to Michigan. The question of whether she can turn things around and once again lead the US women is, in my opinion, the question of the season. It may also be the biggest factor in the Olympic picture - until last season, she and Wagner were considered to be the forefront of US ladies skating. Now, for reasons I'll cover a little later, neither appears to be a lock for this team - but particularly, Gold has not shown she is anywhere near ready to contend for an Olympic medal, or perhaps even an Olympic berth. We will see the shape she is in come the early events in October - but even if she continues to show some rust, don't count her out. A lot can change in a short time, particularly in the fall months as the skaters ramp their way up to top shape. However, in the case of a close call at the trials - a close 4th for example - she may not get the benefit of the doubt and she'll be out of luck.

Mirai Nagasu: Most of the talk around Nagasu recently has centered around her Triple Axel (3A) attempts. It has excited a lot of people since the last successful attempt by a US lady was, I believe, Nationals 2005 (K. Meissner). For me, though, the bigger question is whether she can overcome her jump under-rotation (UR) tendencies. Also, whether the pressure of attempting the 3A is too much and distracts her from the bigger picture (a trap that even Mao Asada (JPN) would occasionally fall into). And - does Nagasu even need a 3A to contend for the Olympic team? Ultimately she drew the short stick in the 2014 controversy over the US Olympic team, getting passed over for the 3rd spot even with her 3rd place finish at 2014 Nationals. She'll be looking for redemption in 2018 - and whether that is making the Korea squad, landing the 3A - or, perhaps, both - she'll have plenty of folks rooting for her. At the same time, one has to wonder if deep down, she truly loves skating - and that is what keeps her going nearly 10 years after she first burst onto the scene in 2008.

Polina Edmunds: Injury kept her out of Boston Worlds, and all of last season, but indications point to interest in making a return next season for a crack at 2018. She is also now a college student, which, like other student-athletes, will divide her attention as she moves forward. The question I would ask at this stage is what her goals are - this will determine where expectations should be set. Does she want Olympics? Or just a final hurrah in front of an adoring home crowd?

New Kids On The Block

Karen Chen: A surprise National championship and 4th place Worlds finish last season have forced Chen's name into the US Olympic conversation - and while she has shown struggles with consistency throughout her career, she has shown clear ability to be a contender at her best. At or near her best, she will be a strong candidate for the Olympic team and can easily give Wagner and Gold a run for their money unless either steps it up. But, if she's off - and when off, she can sometimes be REALLY off - she may not even be top 10 material. Someone to watch - but more like a question mark, a wildcard at this point. Her early-season results may be telling.

Mariah Bell: Similar to Chen, a surprise 2nd place finish at 2016 Skate America propelled Bell into the equation. Also similar to Chen, Bell has struggled with consistency issues. The question for Bell is whether she can take her newfound "contender" status and make it work for her - in other words, be able to deliver under those circumstances. As for making the Olympics, it won't be easy, and if Gold makes a strong return, she could have her hands full even if she's in her prime - but anything is possible. All you can control is how you skate, and you just have to let the chips fall otherwise.

That's it as far as contenders go - others may be in the mix at the lower level of the top 10, but probably need either an incredible breakthrough or luck of the draw to be a factor for the Team. Finally, there is always the possibility of an up-and-comer spoiling the party and throwing a wrench into the machine, much like Edmunds did in 2014. As I'm not dialed into the junior scene, I'm not sure what the potential names may be, but I'm more than sure other skatefans do.

That's all I got - now have at it!

Last edited:

princessalica

Final Flight
I'm also interested to see upward movement from some of the younger crowd like Amber Glenn, Tessa Hong, and Starr Andrews. I think each has a lot to offer, and we could see some new faces surging through the ranks.

Also interested to see some who shown brightly as juniors a little farther back like Bradie Tennel and Emily Chan and Vivian Le. I think it could be interesting and we might have some surprises this season. After all Alina Zagitova of Russia wasn't nearly considered a threat two years ago, and look at her now! I'm excited and a little anxious to see this season start, and even start to see the summer shows!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Mirai Nagasu: ... At the same time, one has to wonder if deep down, she truly loves skating - and that is what keeps her going nearly 10 years after she first burst onto the scene in 2008. ...

I do not agree that "one has to wonder," given that Mirai continues to say that she loves skating, and continues to work hard at her skating (while carrying a full-time course load at college for the last couple of years).
Not to mention that she continues to skate competitively (with more than respectable results).

Go, Mirai :yay:.

Speaking of Emily Chan, tomorrow she will be performing at the Galleria in Dallas for a Scott Hamilton Cares event. (Timothy Dolensky as well.)

Mirai is performing today thru Sunday in Skokie, Illinois.

Tomorrow night, the yet-to-be-mentioned Courtney Hicks will perform for the Columbine FSC Ice Show in Colorado. (Camden Pulkinen as well.)

SkaterX

On the Ice
What kind of elements/scores would a junior such as Starr Andrews need to be a serious contender for the Olympics? Also, how frequently do US skaters go to the Olympics during their first year as a senior level skater?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Tessa Hong could be a factor if she's given a sensible layout for the LP.

I agree. If were to buy stock in our younger skaters, Tessa and Starr is where I'd put my money. Unfortunately, our younger skaters have been quite unreliable. Last season, I was ready to bet the house that Bradie Tennel would have a breakthrough season and she seems to have taken a step backward this season. The Olympics are very motivating and I think we'll see early in the season who is truly hungry.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starr needs to go for the Junior title this season because i don't see her having a chance at making the Olympic team. She simply doesn't have the jumps or power in her skating that you need to have to challenge the top Senior girls. I still don't understand Tessa Hong not going after the Junior title last season at Nationals considering she hadn't been at Nationals since 2014 because of injury. Both girls need to show they can compete against the Russian girls on the JGP which is something that Polina showed in 2013 when she won two events. Polina unfortunately buried herself in the JGPF with her only bad SP of the season but was 2nd in the LP and overall nearly beat the skater who has dominated for two years now for the Ladies.

frida80

Record Breaker
What is this interest in Starr all of a sudden? I don't think she has a shot at the OG because thr field is so deep. However, I'm looking forward to seeing her, Tessa, Kaitlyn, and others on the JGP next season. If she progresses like she has in prior seasons, she should do well.

As for Tessa, she has no medals at the JGP, so she can make a better impression by going to the JGP rather than making a play for challenger series and a possible SA slot. If she can fix programs she should have a good season. In the meanwhile she can save that 3A debut for 2018-2019.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What is this interest in Starr all of a sudden? I don't think she has a shot at the OG because thr field is so deep. However, I'm looking forward to seeing her, Tessa, Kaitlyn, and others on the JGP next season. If she progresses like she has in prior seasons, she should do well.

As for Tessa, she has no medals at the JGP, so she can make a better impression by going to the JGP rather than making a play for challenger series and a possible SA slot. If she can fix programs she should have a good season. In the meanwhile she can save that 3A debut for 2018-2019.

I don't see any skater that competed as a junior as having a shot at the Olympic Team. With Karen, Ashley, Mariah, Gracie, Mirai, Angela Wang, Tessa Hong, Courtney Hicks, and Bradie Tennel still in competition. Unless she's too old, I think Starr will stay in the Junior ranks for another season. She's more of a 2022 prospect.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't see any skater that competed as junior as having a shot at the Olympic Team. With Karen, Ashley, Mariah, Gracie, Angela Wang, Tessa Hong, Courtney Hicks, and Bradie Tennel still in competition. Unless she's too old, I think Starr will stay in the Junior ranks for another season. She's more of a 2022 prospect.

Same here. She'll be fine in juniors internationally. She'll be 16 this summer, so I'm bracing myself for the growth spurt.

andromache

Record Breaker
Star and Tessa should both do JGP - it's not like doing so would exclude them from possibly competing at the Olympics.

I think we'll see Tessa's move to Frank work out well. Starr seems like more of a wild card, in part because I'm not familiar with her coach (but hey, he's young, maybe he's a future legend?). I wish either lady was younger, to be honest - both are far behind the Russian and Japanese ladies of the same ages.

It'd be great to see a US lady make JGPF, and I think doing so would create some buzz at Nationals. Tessa or Starr could do it. Seriously though - we need any lady not named Ashley Wagner to collect some hardware at JGPs or GPs. Going into the Olympics as a relative unknown won't help anyone's PCS.

If Gracie's not going to make an awesome comeback, then my Olympics dream team would be Karen, Ashley, and Tessa/Starr. Even though excluding Mirai and Mariah breaks my heart!

Bradie, Angela, and Courtney will put out occasionally great performances, but not be real Olympic team threats.

It'd be great to see Polina come out with improved speed/performance ability, some knockout programs, and her former technical skills. She'd be a shoo-in for the team then.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Starr seems like more of a wild card, in part because I'm not familiar with her coach (but hey, he's young, maybe he's a future legend?). I wish either lady was younger, to be honest - both are far behind the Russian and Japanese ladies of the same ages.

Derrick Delmore IN bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/derrick_delmore

He's the 1998 World Junior champ, and the first African American to do so. Here's his U.S Nationals SP from that year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94ymL4eeVc

He's also coach with Raf's team, here he is with Mariah Bell from U.S. Classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlkmSGsE3U#t=5m32s

Tavi...

Record Breaker
To borrow Mirai's expression "Dang!" Wish I had known about this. It's close by and seems like it would be fun. Web site shows that they're sold out. Waaaaa! :sad4:

Exactly my thoughts - by the time I saw her posts on Instagram, shows were sold out. Boo!

wildflower

Spectator
There is one more show tomorrow at 2 pm I think. If you are interested in going, call the rink before the show to see if any tickets have opened up. I did that for the show this afternoon and got to see her!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Olympic season, for her, will be all about resolve. How much does she want the Olympics - and how much is she willing to give up to get there?

In your opinion, what does Ashley need to give up in order to get there? I'm curious.

I don't agree with much of your characterization of Ashley. My perception is that she survives disappointment and rebounds better than almost anyone. The people who love to criticize her and count her out have often proved to be premature in their predictions of her demise.

To me, the more interesting way to frame Ashley's coming season is, what is her higher purpose? Is it to make a good showing, earn another Olympic medal, individual or team, to be happy with the way she skates and performs, or to create a triumphant moment like she did at Worlds 2016?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is one more show tomorrow at 2 pm I think. If you are interested in going, call the rink before the show to see if any tickets have opened up. I did that for the show this afternoon and got to see her!

What program did Mirai skate? How was it? So glad you were able to go! I wasn't able to go today. Dang!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
We certainly aren't lacking talent in the ladies field, it's a matter of consistency. The US ladies skate like deers in headlights. I don't think I can fully believe that one will make a breakthrough on the Grand Prix or JGP.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I still hope Gracie will surprise us all, now she is with Marina - fingers crossed

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nine months is a fair amount of time so Gracie could turn it around. It is just a bit concerning to see her fall so "low" in respect to not only jumps but performance. I understand skating is an expensive sport and she may want to keep her name out but I kind of still think she should have called it a season and focussed on next year getting healthy - skating wise, phsyically and mentally. She is like the person drowning flailing arms and kicking legs eventually dying down to being unable to move, almost lifeless. She is very fortunate her past reputation is holding her up in some ways so she is still desireable in respect to skating shows and such.