Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boots and Spinning

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraiFan View Post
    My coach says no--it goes further "around" than a three turn... I think people teach it differently but this really helped me not rise too quickly and bring my free leg along into the spin (forward scratch).

Yeah, a subtlety not worth debating. Some would consider the hook to be a 3-turn in which you don't check coming out of the 3-turn. But, it you consider the check to be an integral part of the 3-turn, then the hook is not a 3-turn.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyCorky View Post
    I must ask my coach if she has an idea what is happening now that I have seen the tracings on the ice. It is at the cusp of the three turn, my foot is drawing a complete circle. So like a 3 figure but at the centre of the 3 is a complete circle and I can see my foot doing this at the turn ie drawing a tiny circle just as I turn to the backward inside edge.
    Is the small circle actually a small oval loop? And is it a lighter tracing than the the main 3-turn cusp? If so, what is probably happening is that you are slightly too forward on your blade, and your drag pick (bottom pick) is lightly scraping the ice while you execute your 3-turn. The main cusp is traced by your rocker, and the small loop around the cusp is traced by your drag pick.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I was figure skating yesterday and practicing doing tiny three turns but really holding the exit edge. When I come out of a three turn, I notice that I am leaning quite far forward. I don't know if this is something quite common or not. I've been trying really hard to hold my foot flat on the ice on the exit. I know that an entry to a spin is not a big smooth three turn but thought if I get that head upright position at the end of it then it might help the spin one.

I actually did one spin yesterday which seemed more balanced :-)

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that tstop4me. That makes sense. Yesterday I was trying to do tight three turns the way I normally do them (ie without trying to spin) and noticed the little loop bit wasn't there. I need to get my balance turning back into the spin better I think. I tried to put my shoulders back and nearly fell backwards. I think it's the knees I have to get more bent to get the spin started. That a guess but here's hoping. Each time I go skating I am going to spend more time on spins.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyCorky View Post
    Thanks for that tstop4me. That makes sense. Yesterday I was trying to do tight three turns the way I normally do them (ie without trying to spin) and noticed the little loop bit wasn't there. I need to get my balance turning back into the spin better I think. I tried to put my shoulders back and nearly fell backwards. I think it's the knees I have to get more bent to get the spin started. That a guess but here's hoping. Each time I go skating I am going to spend more time on spins.
    Yes! Try your best to maintain a good balance and maybe put more weight backwards.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    I got new skates. They are Edea Chorus and today I put them on for the first time. They are so much better than the skates I had (Risport Antares). The fact they fit my feet is amazing. I didn't expect them to be so comfortable the first time I wore them, but I skated for over 2 hours with no pain afterwards. They are size 255 and my old ones were 265. My outside three turns were easier or I could go right into the centre of the circle before automatically turning to backwards. Hopefully I will have a better chance of sussing out the spins in them. I'm so pleased with them. Thanks again everyone for the hints.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    I am so thrilled to hear about your new boots! Yay!! This means you have new blades as well, since your new boots are a different size from your old ones. I predict your spins will improve, but in the meantime, here's something I thought of as I read about your loop on the spin entry. . . Are you keeping your free leg and arm pulled way BACK until you hook the spin? Releasing your right shoulder/arm and leg too soon can result in a loop tracing instead of a spin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2