All star practice session at Broadmore | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All star practice session at Broadmore

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It is so wrong that this isn't being posted to YouTube or something. And the usfsa wonders why the sport is losing fans!! I'm, hello?!?! You guys don't give us any insight on what happens at champs camp or anything, either. Shame.😫☹️☹️😩

gkelly

Record Breaker
Elite skaters practice every day. At training centers, some sessions have multiple elite skaters on the ice at the same time, and sometimes they have amazing practices.

Sometimes non-elite skaters do something pretty awesome on practice too.

What's unusual here is to have so many world-level skaters all at the same rink at the same time. But half that many would be an everyday occurrence somewhere like the Broadmoor.

And the more amazing feats might happen in sessions with fewer skaters/fewer elite skaters on the ice.

Skaters don't want their everyday practices publicized every day. This is an everyday practice with some high-level regulars and some high-level visitors.

So what are you asking for? Video of rare occurrences when there are more than ~10 world-class skaters on the ice at the same time on an everyday practice?

Or of every practice session anywhere with one or more elite skaters where something cool might happen?

Or of specific scheduled occasions when multiple elite skaters gather on the same ice to show what they've been working on at home all year not only to officials but also to fans?

The latter already happens. It's called competitions. And competition practices.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My daughter is at Broadmoor this week, participating in the Jump on it Camp on Friday and Saturday. She said Karen is there to help demonstrate at camp. The Japanese skaters are there for choreography. I'm not sure if they also are participating in the camp.

Thx for the inside scoop :cool:. Hope the camp is productive and enjoyable for your daughter :ghug:.

Great news re Karen :dance2:.
She was at the OTC last week as well, prior to last weekend's SOI shows in California, so I must admit that I was not necessarily expecting that this week's Colorado visit would include helping at the camp.
It speaks well for the camp that Karen wants to give demos again this year, even though she'll then have to dash off to Seattle for SOI.

And now I am wondering whether maybe this year she was asked to give the keynote speech too?
(I'm guessing that USFS would want a different person this year b/c some return campers already heard from Max last year.)
The reigning national champion who then placed fourth at her first Worlds :bow: would be an inspiring choice.

hackworm

Spectator
Thx for the inside scoop :cool:. Hope the camp is productive and enjoyable for your daughter :ghug:.

Great news re Karen :dance2:.
She was at the OTC last week as well, prior to last weekend's SOI shows in California, so I must admit that I was not necessarily expecting that this week's Colorado visit would include helping at the camp.
It speaks well for the camp that Karen wants to give demos again this year, even though she'll then have to dash off to Seattle for SOI.

And now I am wondering whether maybe this year she was asked to give the keynote speech too?
(I'm guessing that USFS would want a different person this year b/c some return campers already heard from Max last year.)
The reigning national champion who then placed fourth at her first Worlds :bow: would be an inspiring choice.

I'm not sure but that would be awesome! I can post updates when I speak with my daughter. I'm excited she has this experience!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It is so wrong that this isn't being posted to YouTube or something. And the usfsa wonders why the sport is losing fans!! I'm, hello?!?! You guys don't give us any insight on what happens at champs camp or anything, either. Shame.😫☹️☹️😩

Why is it wrong? It's a regular practice session, just on this occasion it was more full than usual.

I'm with gkelly on this one - I have no problem with video of this not being anywhere. I'd hate to be trying to practice every day knowing it was being streamed. And why just the Broadmoor? Don't you think that puts unnecessary pressure on skaters like Max, Josh, Mirai, who train there full time, to know that their training is being broadcast to the world and not, say, Nathan's, Adam's, Grant's, Ross', Jason's, Ashley's, Gracie's, Karen's, etc, etc?

concorde

Medalist
Wrong because that particular rink has signs posted no videotaping allowed.

The Japanese Federation has participants in the camp so that is probably why Marin is town.

concorde

Medalist
Keynote speakers were Karen and Nathan Chen.

Most of the top levels skaters will be demonstrators.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Adding some bits re Jump On It! Camp:

- Seen via some Instagram stories:
A Japanese film crew is shooting at the camp this year. And I think I recognize one of the coaches (female) on the ice as being from Team Japan, but her name escapes me :hopelessness:.
[ETA: Coach Hamada, if I am not mistaken. Hard to see the face clearly.]​
Adam is among those assisting on the ice.
Frank Carroll is there. No surprise, as he was among the camp's many big-name coaches last year as well.​

- And .. I saw an Instagram photo that seemed to suggest that Brendan Kerry is there now too? The international notes this year are kind of surprising to me, given that it is an USFS camp. (Surprising, but not in a bad way.)
(Vincent is in the same photo. No surprise, as he gave demos at last year's camp.)​

- From the Facebook Live session, learned that Nathan was one of the team leaders last year :cool:.

Sorry that I had not realized that he was among those officially involved in 2016. All I had seen last year is a photo on the social media belonging to another individual (I do not remember to whom) that showed Nathan hanging out off ice with some of the campers. It was during the many weeks that Nathan was in Colorado Springs full time for rehab, and I mistakenly got the impression that he was just informally mingling with them. Happy to be proven wrong.

Yesterday's Facebook Live session is archived on the USFS page.
USFS has posted it on YT too.
Karen and Nathan both did a very nice job.​

ETA:
And now Adam just posted a photo of Coach Hamada (definitely her), Tammy, and Frank -- with the hashtag #LegendsOnly.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUShOgNlTQZ/?taken-by=adaripp (May 19)​

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Adding some bits re Jump On It! Camp:

- Seen via some Instagram stories:
A Japanese film crew is shooting at the camp this year. And I think I recognize one of the coaches (female) on the ice as being from Team Japan, but her name escapes me :hopelessness:.
[ETA: Coach Hamada, if I am not mistaken. Hard to see the face clearly.]​
Adam is among those assisting on the ice.
Frank Carroll is there. No surprise, as he was among the camp's many big-name coaches last year as well.​

- And .. I saw an Instagram photo that seemed to suggest that Brendan Kerry is there now too? The international notes this year are kind of surprising to me, given that it is an USFS camp. (Surprising, but not in a bad way.)
(Vincent is in the same photo. No surprise, as he gave demos at last year's camp.)​

- From the Facebook Live session, learned that Nathan was one of the team leaders last year :cool:.

Sorry that I had not realized that he was among those officially involved in 2016. All I had seen last year is a photo on the social media belonging to another individual (I do not remember to whom) that showed Nathan hanging out off ice with some of the campers. It was during the many weeks that Nathan was in Colorado Springs full time for rehab, and I mistakenly got the impression that he was just informally mingling with them. Happy to be proven wrong.

The Facebook Live session is archived on the USFS page. USFS has posted it on YT too.
Karen and Nathan both did a very nice job.​

I'm blown away that the Japanese girls were here for the camp. I honestly thought they were there for choreography. I wish I could see some videos of them.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Frank Carroll is the jump coach for the USFS so I'm not shocked he's there. People go out to him in California all the time for jump training and he travels too.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Seems a great idea to have these types of events, which enable athletes to gather with a purpose, be inspired by each other, and have the chance to get a taste for input from some of the sports' most capable coaches. Speaks to the notion of the value of training camps, which are not for everyone, 365 days per year, but certainly seem valuable workshopping and providing some points for shaping interval training, especially during the off season.

concorde

Medalist
Each group has about 10 skaters and each group cycles through various on and off stations during the 2-day camp. The on-ice coaches are Drew Meekins, Peter Johansson, Frank Carroll, Mie Hamada, Tom Zakrajsek, Aleksey Letov, and Tammy Gambill.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Glad I took the time to listen to the Karen and Nathan FB Live session. They did a great job and their personalities really shined through!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI for those who are or will be in the vicinity of Colorado Springs:

Broadmoor Skating Club announces 2017 schedule for Fire and Ice exhibitions. These exhibitions will feature members of Broadmoor Skating Club and skaters from across the country and the world who are currently training at The World Arena Ice Hall. Fire and Ice exhibitions will take place in Olympic rink of the World Arena Ice Hall and are open to public free of charge.

June 16 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
July 14 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
July 21 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
July 28 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
August 4 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
August 11 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
September 22 5:45 pm-8:15 pm
November 10 7:30 pm-8:30 pm

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10155470604374548&id=183308679547 (May 23) [emphasis added]​

ETA (on Jun 13):

In case anyone actually plans to attend on July 21:

The Broadmoor SC site has the same schedule, except that it says NHL rink for July 21.
I do not know whether the link below is correct or whether the BSC FB page (which says Olympic rink for all dates) is correct.
http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/fire-and-ice/

Frank Carroll is the jump coach for the USFS so I'm not shocked he's there. People go out to him in California all the time for jump training and he travels too.

No one in this thread was shocked.