Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Because he hit the crap out of Victoria and the police were called and he was kicked out of Zouevas rink, that was why he was the bad guy!

Oh my gosh??? What??? Is this for real? This sounds horrible. At the same time there is something wrong about coach dating his pupil who he breaks up from another pupil and worse when the coach seems to continously goes through relationships with skaters like the Reed's switch countries.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What could only add to the drama now is S and K break up their skating relationship and I and K get back together as a team and win OGM

andromache

Record Breaker
Because he hit the crap out of Victoria and the police were called and he was kicked out of Zouevas rink, that was why he was the bad guy!

WHAT???? I knew They got kicked out of Marina's rink, but I didn't know about this!!!

bramweld

Record Breaker
WHAT???? I knew They got kicked out of Marina's rink, but I didn't know about this!!!

Old news. But back to Lena, she needs someone who's built like Sorensen, has the confidence of a Poje and twizzles like a Pavel Drozd. And please someone who actually knows how to commit to a theme, because she needs someone who can match her intensity. Does Drozd have a twin brother, oh my oh my? IMHO, he can outskate all of the guys on the National team right now. I just hope that Alla is able to keep up. But I'll behave now out of respect for Alla's fans.

noidont

Final Flight
Drozd is too nice and clean for Elena. The only one with the build and look and temper to match Elena is Mozgov. Let's not pretend that her own skating hasn't regressed majorly over the past two seasons.
I also don't think Ruslan is necessarily the hardworking, low-key saint people think he is. He was a weak lifter with Sinitsina and didn't improve much on that front. After a few seasons together he still skates slower than Elena even when her shape is hardly what it used to be. I don't find him highly motivated in achieving success and it doesn't surprise me he is giving up.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think the pair looked promising, but both were not up to the task.
Same with S/K.
Same with I/K btw.

Best they can do is retire really, and leave room for younger pairs.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The only one with the build and look and temper to match Elena is Mozgov.

Since the last interaction many of us saw between Elena & Mozgov was her & Anna sticking out their tongues at him on social media after he dumped Anna, I am thinking this partnership may not be too likely. (Also, the rumor mill claimed he sided with Nikita during the I&K breakup).

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
From what I remember, all parties were sort of at fault really. Elena began dating their coach, Nikolai Morozov, which I guess bothered Nikita and eventually they broke up (most likely on bad terms). Afterward, Morozov was actually the one who encouraged Nikita to have a tryout with Sinitsina behind Elena's back before 2014 Worlds. He was actually supposed to coach Nikita and Victoria but they probably had a fall out soon afterward because by the summer they had already moved on from him.

Um, you claim "all parties were at fault" but the only thing I can see that Elena has done in your recap is break up with Morozov (thank goodness for her). Are you saying that her adult decision to break off a relationship should be considered a "fault" in the breakup of the partnership? Because that is problematic in the extreme.

madison

Record Breaker
Um, you claim "all parties were at fault" but the only thing I can see that Elena has done in your recap is break up with Morozov (thank goodness for her). Are you saying that her adult decision to break off a relationship should be considered a "fault" in the breakup of the partnership? Because that is problematic in the extreme.
you can imagine how it was for Nikita to see his former girlfriend (Elena) dating their coach (Morozov) right under his eyes :drama:
Always bad to mix professional with personal relationships.:shocked:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Hmmm, you're right; that does sound needlessly inflammatory towards her. And no I didn't mean that at all.

I actually deleted something afterward about Nikita and Elena both being hotheads on the ice, but I probably should have kept that part in. Their personal drama and demeanor is what they made them so exciting to watch, but I consider both parties at fault since they were always arguing with each other. A partnership cannot coexist if neither person is willing to compromise. And Morozov is included in that for being skeezy, preying on a student, and then turning on her after the relationship ended.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Nothing has been confirmed yet, this article is not a confirmation. Read what Gorshkov said, there are still options.

Snow63

Record Breaker

We are not many behind the curtains details. But many people act like they actually know what happened. This is sad. In fact, we don't really know what happened between them and why this happened, we only know the outcome.

Marta25

Medalist
what about soloviev for elena ;) :popcorn:

I think Bobrova might say something about that :p Besides, IMO that would be super weird to see Soloviev with Elena.

Nothing has been confirmed yet, this article is not a confirmation. Read what Gorshkov said, there are still options.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Elena and Ruslan skating together again in competitions, but people around the forums who had insight info in the past are all saying the same. Sure the versions why and how they split are different, but the general consensus seems to be that they are done. :(

bramweld

Record Breaker
Morozov, Nikita, and Elena, all of it is old news. Nikita's issues stem from a bigger issue his own personal insecurities. Zhulin would try to tell him if Lena does something better than you it's a credit to the team, but he could never get that. He would put his efforts into always beating her technically and artistically rather than working on his own unique weaknesses like the twizzles and lifts. He went to Morozov clearly intent on improving and ensuring that he wouldn't be overshadowed by Lena and for years she was ignored until the Olympic season. During that season IMHO, he looked like a man boy trying to skate with a mature woman. So that partnership though having its moments was not sustainable.

As for Ruslan, I respect his efforts, and I will always appreciate Frida and Carmen, but it was to be expected that her skating would regress with him, he is not up to her level. Sinitsina, would have to improve, Nikita, is much stronger than her, ID doesn't happen in a vacuum. Ilinykh's acting skills cannot be matched on ice and her technique is spot on. With all the clamourings of her being out of shape she was really motoring it at Russian Nationals this year, even at the end of the program when Ruslan was struggling to keep up she was still powering through. She needs a bigger, stronger and more mature partner. While I may be a bit fixated on Drozd right now, the fact is he's still a kid and it shows behind the eyes. Lena needs someone a bit more mysterious like her. I want a more mature, sophisticated style for her going forwards. I hope things work out well for both her and Ruslan.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Morozov, Nikita, and Elena, all of it is old news. Nikita's issues stem from a bigger issue his own personal insecurities. Zhulin would try to tell him if Lena does something better than you it's a credit to the team, but he could never get that. He would put his efforts into always beating her technically and artistically rather than working on his own unique weaknesses like the twizzles and lifts. He went to Morozov clearly intent on improving and ensuring that he wouldn't be overshadowed by Lena and for years she was ignored until the Olympic season. During that season IMHO, he looked like a man boy trying to skate with a mature woman. So that partnership though having its moments was not sustainable.

Oh, so you know him personally, and he told you that? That's good for you. Otherwise, all of this is just your personal assumptions, which most probably have nothing to do with reality.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
As for Ruslan, I respect his efforts, and I will always appreciate Frida and Carmen, but it was to be expected that her skating would regress with him, he is not up to her level. Sinitsina, would have to improve, Nikita, is much stronger than her, ID doesn't happen in a vacuum. Ilinykh's acting skills cannot be matched on ice and her technique is spot on. With all the clamourings of her being out of shape she was really motoring it at Russian Nationals this year, even at the end of the program when Ruslan was struggling to keep up she was still powering through. She needs a bigger, stronger and more mature partner. While I may be a bit fixated on Drozd right now, the fact is he's still a kid and it shows behind the eyes. Lena needs someone a bit more mysterious like her. I want a more mature, sophisticated style for her going forwards. I hope things work out well for both her and Ruslan.

No, you don't? Hardly anyone ever respected his efforts, and most of the time he was shafted to the side, and his mistakes were because 'he wasn't good enough', 'he couldn't catch up to her', or any other reason. But when Elena made mistakes it was just misfortune, or that she was out of luck. Also, way to go putting the blame on HIM regarding her skating skills regressing, that's really respectful, to say the least, but I never expected anything less.

I said this even before the partnership ended, and we're still on a limbo about that, but people were going to put the blame on him. It happened time and time again. I don't touch on Nikita or Morozov, but the blame was on them before. And now it's on Ruslan. Elena is never the one to be blamed. Just, never.:disapp:

Marta25

Medalist
No, you don't? Hardly anyone ever respected his efforts, and most of the time he was shafted to the side, and his mistakes were because 'he wasn't good enough', 'he couldn't catch up to her', or any other reason. But when Elena made mistakes it was just misfortune, or that she was out of luck. Also, way to go putting the blame on HIM regarding her skating skills regressing, that's really respectful, to say the least, but I never expected anything less.

I said this even before the partnership ended, and we're still on a limbo about that, but people were going to put the blame on him. It happened time and time again. I don't touch on Nikita or Morozov, but the blame was on them before. And now it's on Ruslan. Elena is never the one to be blamed. Just, never.:disapp:

There are message boards where posters expressed a lot of disdain towards Elena. Giving her mainly the responsibility that Ruslan is so injured that he has to retire. I think it depends a little bit which message board someone reads. I have to agree though that I don`t understand the sudden blame Ruslan gets for being the cause of Elena not skating as well as she could. The first two seasons their skating skills where the one thing people admired the most, their main problems started when they made the switch to Shpilband. If I see how he presents Chock/Bates in their programs, I have to admit that it was maybe a mistake to go to him. His programs tend to focus more on the lady while the guys are more in the background. I thought that Kustarova made a better job in giving them programs that gave them both the possibility to shine, although her packaging for them was also rather problematic.

I still believe that if they had received better packaging they could have done more than they did, but I guess it just wasn`t meant to be. :(

Last edited: